G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Think you have problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think you have problems?

In the past I posted about the RMS leaks I had in my 996 and the blown engine in my M3. I happened to be visiting an M3 Board and came across this post. It may help some of you to put your G35 problems in perspective.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=78820

Old 08-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I just bought my 2001 carbon black m3 with 28ks miles on it. Its one of the best cars I have ever owned but the problems just dont stop.
His car is almost 5 model years old.

First, the window trim starts to come off and I know there was a recall on that.
Window trim comes off after 5 model years. No real disaster - likely he could fix it himself if he had a clue. There's a recall, so he's covered. No problem.

I just recently changed the oil and they said my winshield washer fluid resivore (sp) has a leak.
Common problem. Happens on 10K cars and 100K cars. No trend. Again, the car is not brand new.

Still havent fixed that. The next problem I had was to replace my brake pads and rotors.
Replacing pads and rotors after 28K in a M3? I don't see that as a problem. If it's his first replacement (not likely) then he should count his blessings.

I was planning on taking it to Irvine bmw until I noticed my car wont even start now. It was on my driveway for about 14 hours. All the electronics work, ac, radio, everything. It just doesnt turn over. So I let it sit there for a couple more hours and come back to it and still it wont start. I tried to jump start it but the battery is fine. I dont know what the **** to do. Any suggestions???
His car won't start and he doesn't know what to do? Duh..

Seriously. This one thread doesn't help me put anything into perspective. It's a thread about one guy having a few problems with a 5 year old car and a few other guys offering him options he should already know for himself.

The only thing it shows me is that people with money can be just as stupid as the rest of us. LOL..

Old 08-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention, most people here chose cars that don't blow themselves up (G35's) vs cars that tend to have lots of problems (BMW's, especially M3's). I really don't care what problems a BMW guy is having because I don't own a BMW.

Last edited by Pwoz; 08-08-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Aren't BMW notorious for having electrical problems? An uncle of mine had to have all his electrical wiring redone because of a short in the positive battery terminal which then led to a whole bunch of other electrical problems.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
There are two guys in my office including me. The other guy owns 2 BMWs, a Z3 and an X5. I am his ride to the dealership when he has service issues. I can drive there with my eyes closed. Does that tell you anything? (at least as far as HIS cars are concerned?)

The Z3 is a 2000 and has had 6 sets of speakers installed (they keep shorting out) 4 times they were out of warranty. The entire dash in the X5 has been changed, piece by piece, for electrical issues. Some components (stereo and information section) have been changed more than once.

He's currently shopping for another X5 to replace the Z3. (second child on the way) I tell him he's a glutton for punishment but he can't get past the little propeller on the hood...

Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I really love the E46 M3's but I think in the long run I am better off in the G...knocking on wood!!!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:25 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Window trim, reservoir leak, brakes and a flat battery? My Maxima, Made in Japan and everything, is about to turn 5 years and it's had way more problems than that. All sorts of rattles, BOSE went bad, caliper started leaking brake fluid out of nowhere leaving me w/o brakes in the middle of the road, axle leak, power passenger seat stopped working, battery and brakes/rotors were just replaced. This is just the stuff I've had to fix in the past 12 months or so, plus many minor problems I didn't mention, and the car has been babied since new. So much for Japanese reliability.

A 5 year old car is just expected to start breaking down. That's why you don't buy an M3 without any warranty. The window trim problem is soooo common on M3s. About the brakes, it doesn't take much brightness to look at them when buying the car and try to get the owner/dealer to budge off the price.

I just happen to know many people with M3's... one had a total shop queen during the full 3 years of his lease (car was an 02). Another one got rid of his back then brand new 03 SMG because the SMG broke while he was doing donuts. All the rest have never had a major problem. So it depends on how lucky you get and how you treat your car. No car will be problem free, especially at that age and especially a high performance car.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:44 AM
No car will be problem free, especially at that age and especially a high performance car.

I agree but before buying a car it's good to know what to expect. Also before making judgements about a car's quality, it's good to know how the competition is doing.

Granted that the M3 in question is a 2001 but it only has 28K miles on the odometer. Hopefully a $55K M3 will last for more than 28K miles before it starts to fall apart.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
a 5 year old car is expected to break down? Well, it shouldn't....

My 1990 toyota corolla has all of its trim in place and has been to the shop only to replace timing belt and alternator but nothing else. Its closing in at 250k miles and paint job is still shiny. One little detail job from me will make it look like we just got it from the dealership 15 years ago.

1999 Toyota Landcruiser. No problems there. Trims in place and has never been to the shop either.

So his problems on the m3 isn't that bad. Sometimes stuff just happens on a 5 year old car. One reason why i don't buy american cars(though i love the power and muscle cars are dead sexy) is because they are all made half-***. My cousins camero has lots of interior stuff just come off. I am like WTF? Her rearview mirror, passenger side sunvisor and door handle came off. My friend's mustang had that lever(the one you pull so the seats go down to let someone in the back) break and also the glove compartment doesn't work.

but what the guy said, sometimes you just get a dud and get a bunch of problems so yeah.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Finiti35
Window trim, reservoir leak, brakes and a flat battery? My Maxima, Made in Japan and everything,
Are you sure it's made in Japan... I was under the impression that the Nissans you get here are made at the plant in the US, with the exception of the 350z.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by Pwoz
Are you sure it's made in Japan... I was under the impression that the Nissans you get here are made at the plant in the US, with the exception of the 350z.
Absolutely, all Maximas through MY2003 were made in Japan. Now they only make the Z and the Murano over there.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:04 PM
bmws are assembled in charleston, no?

Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1
In the past I posted about the RMS leaks I had in my 996 and the blown engine in my M3. I happened to be visiting an M3 Board and came across this post. It may help some of you to put your G35 problems in perspective.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=78820

Ya, not much there bro, on a 5 year old ride........... Your M3's blown engine is far more serious.
C.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:19 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by eldy
bmws are assembled in charleston, no?
BMWs are assembled in south africa too. But not the ones with the WBS VIN

Old 08-08-2005, 02:04 PM
my 2000 maxima with almost 50k miles on it has not one single major problem.

Sure you here some rattles, but thats it. The fact the bmw is falling apart after 5 years thats not good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Think you have problems?