G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Better Gas Mileage with VDC off ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm . . . This is quite interesting. It's worth looking into.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to experiment with this also. Never tried it.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:29 AM
For some strange reason, I've experienced better milage with VDC off. Before when I used to leave it on, I usually get on avg. 400km/tank. Now that I leave it off all the time except when it rains, which it hasn't here for a month or so, I get around 430km a tank on avg.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:43 AM
From a technical perspective I dont see how it makes sense. It doesnt take gas to power a procedure in the ECU. But I could be wrong if there is something im not considering.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by clinty
Maybe if you are driving hard, slipping and sliding and the VDC brakes or cuts the ignition to the cylinder. So while you are not going anywhere fast you are still using fuel.

Or it takes a lot of juice to run the VDC

The infiniti site says 33 mpg highway, anyone ever got that?
The Infiniti site says what? I think you were on the wrong site brah...

I think you better go look again... From the site:

2005 EPA Fuel Economy Estimates (city/highway) Back to Top

5-speed automatic 18/25
6-speed manual 19/26
AWD 5-speed automatic 17/24

Actual mileage may vary. Use for comparison only.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Okay - always the one with a negative opinion but here we go anyway.

The tolerances on this car's engines are very tight as is evident by the marginal gains experienced by all the folks here modding their as$es off for those few extra horsepower. The engineering of the car is tight - without a lot of work and $ there is very little you can do to significantly improve the performance. Modest gains at best.

I think we can pretty much agree on that.

Having said that, do you really think the engineers could overlook an extra 5 MPG? Or knowingly make the decision to penalize the car 5 MPG for the sake of the car's VDC system? No f'ing way. If you're trying to tell me this is some sort of 'easter-egg' that slipped through, I'll chalk it up to just more forum BS. I'd be interested to hear how the VDC is reducing the car's gas mileage almost 20%.

In my car, when I drive hard (for me) I get about 17-18 MPG. When I drive normally, I get about 20-23MPG. The difference between the two driving styles is very significant, trust me on this, yet the difference in mileage is really minimal - only about 50-60 miles per tank or so.

If I'm to believe this VDC theory, then flipping a switch is going to gain me 140 miles a tank? In this car?

I read posts all the time that proclaim that VDC is the first thing disabled when the driver enters the car. Those same posters offer basically the same numbers as everyone else when the famous "how many MPG are you getting" threads pop up. If this VDC theory were true, more than one person would have posted some unusual numbers here by now. I haven't seen any eye-openers.. Have you? Didn't think so..

I say again:

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 08-09-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM
You all see the contradiction in the theory of gaining mileage from having VDC off, right? If VDC cutting in is supposedly robbing you of extra gas mileage, then perhaps we should look at the reason why it's cutting in. . .

Old 08-09-2005, 09:31 AM
The only thing I can think of is the VDC system being VERY aggressive and applying the brakes for even small slip amounts.Frequent brake application would decrease milage AND wear out the brakes faster, sound familar?
I will say that for a performance minded coupe the VDC system is way too touchy. As someone else said, knock off a fast downshift to pass, or accelerate quickly and often as you release the clutch the tires will slip a little in the over driven manner and the VDC takes that as acceleration slip and cuts power even more, when it should let you full throttle the engine to stop the car from driving the engine as much. That one thing drives me NUTS, as it's damn near dangerous when you are trying to accelerate and VDC thinks the wheels are spinning when in reality they are skiddind and increased power would clear that right up.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by sofl_g
The only thing I can think of is the VDC system being VERY aggressive and applying the brakes for even small slip amounts.Frequent brake application would decrease milage AND wear out the brakes faster, sound familar?
I will say that for a performance minded coupe the VDC system is way too touchy. As someone else said, knock off a fast downshift to pass, or accelerate quickly and often as you release the clutch the tires will slip a little in the over driven manner and the VDC takes that as acceleration slip and cuts power even more, when it should let you full throttle the engine to stop the car from driving the engine as much. That one thing drives me NUTS, as it's damn near dangerous when you are trying to accelerate and VDC thinks the wheels are spinning when in reality they are skiddind and increased power would clear that right up.
Your VDC must be far more sensitive than mine, or mine must not be working. I've NEVER had an instance of VDC keeping me from doing exactly what I needed to do, and even some things I shouldn't have been doing.

Having said that, a freaking dragging brake would have to be severely screwed to reduce mileage by 5 MPG, much less the VDC system. No way is VDC retarding MPG that much. As mentioned above - if VDC is coisting you 5 MPG, then your driving style is the problem, not the VDC. LOL..

A simple question - can you smoke your inside rear with VDC on? I can (although it wasn't intentional). I have the base 17" wheels with the Eagle RSAs. (stop laughing) When going around a corner, getting onto the freeway, windows and roof open, I slowed to make the turn. About 1/4 of the way through the corner, I see the on-ramp completely empty and decide to open her up for the 1-2-3 shifts (manual-mode, I'm in a 5AT).

I hit the gas and the rear comes out on me, and the inside donut lights up like a Christmas tree. All I could smell was burnt Eagle R-SA. VDC never stepped in, I let off when the rear started coming around. (shoulda hung in there for the power-induced oversteer for cool points, but those days are behind me - at least in town.) This happened this morning on the way to work.

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 08-09-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine pitches a fit during shifting all the damn time. Like somebody else said I downshifted and lost a ton of power. It seems like the 6MT may be a bit more aggressive than the 5AT?

Mine has saved me a couple times being careless in wet weather, but has also hosed me up when it's dry.

BTW I think the VDC on/off and gas mileage is BS. I have had other cars with traction control and driven with it off and it never changed anything....it is hard to believe that this car does. I'm trying it today though...I have Nav, a full tank of gas, and the ability to reach the button so we'll see

Old 08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
The 19" wheels must make a difference or the VDC programming is different on the '05 6MT. My slip light comes on with relative ease when moderately powering out of a slow-speed turn (2nd gear) and the power-cut is extremely noticeable. With the VDC off, the same moderate move produces no perceptible wheelspin from the driver's seat... ...even though a small amount is likely. It really takes an agressive 2nd-gear pull (4000rpm-up), starting just before clipping the apex, to get the rear to step out. But when it does it's so flat and predictable...

Anyway, I keep it off all the time because road conditions and weather rarely call for it around hear. We run summer tires all year out here. But the VDC does act as a safety net during bad weather. It just doesn't make sense to me to use it all the time.

I hate how the VDC'ss cut in power will ruin a good cornering line. And it seems the only time I've ever had that slipped-clutch smell has been when the VDC was on and activated under cornering. It might just be the VDC braking, but it's just one more reason why I turn it off all the time.

At 33, I come from a long line of RWD sports cars and even preceded that with tail-out dirt and asphalt driving in my kart, so the advent of VDC on vehicles has always seemed like a safety net for bad weather. It's only the litigous nature of our society, and inexperienced/poor-judgment drivers that call for a default "ON" VDC setting.

As for MPG improving without VDC... ...I don't have it on enough to compare. Besides, when it comes to sports cars I've never really paid attention to my gas mileage, only the fuel level. You're going to use gas, plain and simple. And after just parting with a 468ci big-block '55 Chevy Bel Air (14 gallon tank), anything this G returns is going to be a lot better. ...with or without the VDC on.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by GT-Ron
The 19" wheels must make a difference or the VDC programming is different on the '05 6MT. My slip light comes on with relative ease when moderately powering out of a slow-speed turn (2nd gear) and the power-cut is extremely noticeable. With the VDC off, the same moderate move produces no perceptible wheelspin from the driver's seat... ...even though a small amount is likely. It really takes an agressive 2nd-gear pull (4000rpm-up), starting just before clipping the apex, to get the rear to step out. But when it does it's so flat and predictable...

Anyway, I keep it off all the time because road conditions and weather rarely call for it around hear. We run summer tires all year out here. But the VDC does act as a safety net during bad weather. It just doesn't make sense to me to use it all the time.

I hate how the VDC'ss cut in power will ruin a good cornering line. And it seems the only time I've ever had that slipped-clutch smell has been when the VDC was on and activated under cornering. It might just be the VDC braking, but it's just one more reason why I turn it off all the time.

At 33, I come from a long line of RWD sports cars and even preceded that with tail-out dirt and asphalt driving in my kart, so the advent of VDC on vehicles has always seemed like a safety net for bad weather. It's only the litigous nature of our society, and inexperienced/poor-judgment drivers that call for a default "ON" VDC setting.

As for MPG improving without VDC... ...I don't have it on enough to compare. Besides, when it comes to sports cars I've never really paid attention to my gas mileage, only the fuel level. You're going to use gas, plain and simple. And after just parting with a 468ci big-block '55 Chevy Bel Air (14 gallon tank), anything this G returns is going to be a lot better. ...with or without the VDC on.
Excellent post. An enjoyable read. At your next fill-up, I'd be interested to know what kind of MPG your car is producing based on your non-use of the VDC. Thanks for offering some content.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by 1BADV6
Mine pitches a fit during shifting all the damn time. Like somebody else said I downshifted and lost a ton of power. It seems like the 6MT may be a bit more aggressive than the 5AT?

Mine has saved me a couple times being careless in wet weather, but has also hosed me up when it's dry.

BTW I think the VDC on/off and gas mileage is BS. I have had other cars with traction control and driven with it off and it never changed anything....it is hard to believe that this car does. I'm trying it today though...I have Nav, a full tank of gas, and the ability to reach the button so we'll see
I look forward to the results of your NAV experiment - please keep us posted!

Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 AM
From my experience MPG is VERY sensitive to driving style. So any claims being made here should be under as controlled conditions as possible.

When it comes to my driving. My gas milage is inversely proportional to my driving. Fun = (1/MPG). And when my VDC is off, its usually for a reason.

Yeah I know I'm a nerd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Better Gas Mileage with VDC off ????