G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Better Gas Mileage with VDC off ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday it rained and since I'm trying this VDC on/off/mpg thing, I had it off so I wanted to see how well the G handled in the wet. To my amazement, it took quite a bit of effort to break loose the tires. I mean 3/4 throttle in 1st and 2nd and the rear rarely broke loose. I have the factory 19s. Are these tires just that good in the wet?

Also, if the VDC is off, then we should NEVER see the SLIP light indicator turn on right?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badtziscool
Yesterday it rained and since I'm trying this VDC on/off/mpg thing, I had it off so I wanted to see how well the G handled in the wet. To my amazement, it took quite a bit of effort to break loose the tires. I mean 3/4 throttle in 1st and 2nd and the rear rarely broke loose. I have the factory 19s. Are these tires just that good in the wet?

Also, if the VDC is off, then we should NEVER see the SLIP light indicator turn on right?
Be real careful without the VDC on bro. There are a few who have turned it off and wished they hadn't....

The OEM sport pilots are excellent in the wet.

If the system is turned off, then you won't see any lights go on-- no intervention.

Safe driving
C.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^^^^ . . . Agreed . . . What G said.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:23 PM
That is a Canadian website. A Canadian Gallon is more than and American Gallon.

33mpg (Canadian) is approx 27mpg (US)

Old 08-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by shunra
That is a Canadian website. A Canadian Gallon is more than and American Gallon.

33mpg (Canadian) is approx 27mpg (US)
Why would our MPG be one number, and the Canadian MPG be another. Even taking the conversion your offer into account, the Canadian highway number is still higher than that on the USDM.

Are all Canadian roads downhill?

Old 08-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Be real careful without the VDC on bro. There are a few who have turned it off and wished they hadn't....

The OEM sport pilots are excellent in the wet.

If the system is turned off, then you won't see any lights go on-- no intervention.

Safe driving
C.
Thanks for the caution. It was a really brief run and out of the way of anyone and everyone.

Actually, the oem 19s come with Bridgestones RE050s I think.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:41 PM

From what I have read you will likely still see the slip light. When the VDC is in the "Off" position it simply means that the VDC will not interfere UNTILL you touch either the brakes or the clutch. Once you do the VDC will then step in to try to correct any problems it detects. I seem to recall a thread in the modification section that detailed a way to truly disable the system.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading the same thing, however, I have yet to get that slip light to flash while the VDC button is turned off. I've slid the rear out around some turns that would have kicked in the VDC if it had been on. While the button is off, no perceptible VDC kicking in at any point as of yet. With VDC on, it's very apparent when it kicks in, so I know I'm not missing something.

I almost always turn the VDC off when I start driving... ...which means that I'm on the brake or clutch within the first 1/4 mile, max.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 08-09-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll try it with the navi...

Old 08-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Banned
Hmmm.. this is interesting. I do fee like the engine is more open and breathing nice when the VDC is off. When its on I can tell the differece. This may be a possibility. Time for all of us to put it to the test.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Why would our MPG be one number, and the Canadian MPG be another. Even taking the conversion your offer into account, the Canadian highway number is still higher than that on the USDM.

Are all Canadian roads downhill?
LOL. I wish our roads were all downhill.

Well the Canadian Highway number once converted comes out to about 27mpg US. On the US site Here it says 26mpg. Not that much different only 1mpg. The difference could be just round off error - or maybe our speed limits are slighly slower? The speed limits where I live are 100kph (62mph) on some highways and 110kmph (68mph) on bigger highways. I belive (but could be wrong) that most states are 65mph and 75mph - that could account for 1mpg. Notice that the Canadian site doesn't claim "EPA Fuel Economy" just "Fuel Economy"

Just a guess.

Last edited by shunra; 08-10-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by shunra
LOL. I wish our roads were all downhill.

Well the Canadian Highway number once converted comes out to about 27mpg US. On the US site Here it says 26mpg. Not that much different only 1mpg. The difference could be just round off error - or maybe our speed limits are slighly slower? The speed limits where I live are 100kph (62mph) on some highways and 110kmph (68mph) on bigger highways. I belive (but could be wrong) that most states are 65mph and 75mph - that could account for 1mph. Notice that the Canadian site doesn't claim "EPA Fuel Economy" just "Fuel Economy"

Just a guess.
Maybe it's the colder and drier weather. Good cool dense air = higher efficiency = better mpg?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:54 PM

I see the same thing, even in the rain it takes a bit to spin the 19's

Old 08-10-2005, 02:59 PM
i have already done the test with my nav on mpg. And my cuzin did it with his z first. with my old g i had better gas mileage with the vdc off. its that simple my nav told me it was not a guess. but now my g is totaled so time for a new baby

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Better Gas Mileage with VDC off ????