G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need your Help!! G-35 or BMW-525i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your Help!! G-35 or BMW-325i

Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm having a hard time deciding between these two cars and have several questions for you guys. I'm not a racer (I'm 48), but I still appreciate a nice ride. I really like the way the G-35 looks, but the closest dealer is 150 miles, so I've only seen the car and never even set in it. I've been trying to read all I can and there are three things about the car that keep coming up. 1. Cheap looking interior materials. 2. Uncomfortable seats which cause back pain (also problem with leg pain due to location of controls). 3. Stiff and jolty (is that a word?) suspension.

I'm looking for the best cross between luxury and sport. I lean toward comfort and luxury where available (age is catching up with me), so I'm not really interested in the sport package (and stiffer suspension that comes with it), although, I do like the way the aero package looks. How is the ride on this car without the sport package?

The seat issue really worries me. Nothing worse than a really uncomfortable seat. I'll be using this car on some long trips and I'm a heavy guy (yeah, that's a nice word for it) 5'10" 240lbs. Any heavy guys out there care to chime-in on the seat comfort?

The interior I've seen and it looks O.K. to me, but I want the wood trim package for sure.

I'm considering the premium package. I really don't care that much about a sunroof, but I do like the upgraded stereo (If Bose is really and upgrade?), garage opener, etc. How are both stereo's?

Any response and feedback is appreciated. I realize I will have to do a good test drive, etc., but it will be a couple of weeks at the earliest and I'm just trying to get all the info I can on both cars before making a decision. I would especially like hear from those of you who have test both.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jack Dotson; 08-10-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Why don't you consider the M35/45? That is more in line with the BMW 5 series if you are trying to decide between a infiniti and a BMW.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:36 PM
To be honest the new 5 series will probably be alot more luxurous compared to the G. However, the 5 series isn't really a fair comparision in my opinion and the price will reflect that. Maybe a M45 is more on par. Another thing with BMW is that reliability issue...I have many friends with new E46 body BMWs and after 2 years, they complain of electrical issues and the like. Granted, you can take it in to the dealer and whatnot but over time, that becomes a pain. I do love BMWs but not really a good bang for your buck and with the reliability issue, it's hard to buy one.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
M45 Is a sweet ride. But BMW does the 5 series pretty well.

Personally the beamer is sounding pretty sweet. But I am a HUGE Infiniti fan =).

Old 08-10-2005, 08:41 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW 525 = more expensive than g35, much more luxurious in all respects including comfort and quality, very slow (530 is a little faster but still slow, 545 very fast!).

G35 - costs less, great performance, fun to drive, not very luxurious.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Infiniti M is Awesome, I was sitting in one today, sweeet ride...

Old 08-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
M35 or M45 for sure. Try it, you'll like it.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I am about your size and I can fit in the seat. I would not give Infiniti an award for the seat because it is a little tight in the thigh area, but I have not felt any pain or numbness that others have mentioned. I have spent 3 hrs straight in the seat with no problems.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Another vote for the M35(talk about luxury) and I know somebody is going to flame me on this one Acura TL(nav is just insane). Also maybe a Lexus GS350. Don't get me wrong the coupe is great but it definately is a bit more on the sport side than luxury.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsg
BMW 525 = more expensive than g35, much more luxurious in all respects including comfort and quality, very slow (530 is a little faster but still slow, 545 very fast!).

G35 - costs less, great performance, fun to drive, not very luxurious.
Get out of my house

Old 08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
" 1. Cheap looking interior materials."

That has mostly been solved in the 05 model year. The cheapness came from certain plastic that was used in the center console and the inside door handles, and the center console was replaced with your choice of really nice looking brushed aluminum or rosewood. Door handles are metal too.

"2. Uncomfortable seats which cause back pain (also problem with leg pain due to location of controls). "

Well you are just going to have to try them on. But dont get too scared. Most people that complain about the seats complain about the coupe. The sedan has wider seats. I really doubt you will be comfartable in the coup but the g35 sedan may be good for you. When you try the seats you will notice that they look like a bucket whith a bottom and sides. Make sure that your whole body fits inside the bucket and you do not have to sit or put your legs on the sides. If you do you are guaranteed to be uncomfortable.

"3. Stiff and jolty (is that a word?) suspension."

Here again there is a big difference between the coupe and the sedan and the various packages. If you get he best suspension package on the coupe the suspension will be quite stiff but the handling will be great as well.

However, the sedan without the sports package has a reasonably soft suspension.

"How is the ride on this car without the sport package? "

It is pretty good. I had a loaner sedan which (to the best of my knowledge) was without the sports package and the ride was not bad at all. There was significantly more body roll on the turns however. More than my 6spd coupe which has almost no body roll whatsoever.

"How are both stereo's?"

I am not much of an audiofile but I like it (i have the bose). The nice features are that you have a 6 cd in dash changer and that it plays mp3s. That is you can just burn mp3s on your CDs and play them.

In general it depends how much you value money. With the G35 sedan you will get a car that is considered one level below the 525 in the luxury hierarchy and is about 10k cheaper (that will probably be 15 k cheaper once you get all th eoptions you like on both cars). But nevertheless the g35 sedan has almost the same interior space as the 525i, and has significantly more horsepower. Both the BMW and g35 have very smooth engines, and great driving dynamics.

But you will probably be able to notice that the 5 series is more luxurious. Infiniti spent a lot of money on the g35s excelent drivetrain and kind of cheap out on the interior and creature comforts. So you will notice a lot of little things that make the g35 look cheaper and the 525 look nicer. And of course the 525 will be more prestigous if you care about this.

But it depends whether all of that is worth 15 k to you.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
thats not a really equal comparison.. the 525 and G35coup are just too diff. even you are talking bout the G35 sedan, its still too diff. the G is more in the 3-series class, not 5 series. just on a side note, i didnt know thye sell 525i in the states as well. i thought they always reserve those smaller engine ones for other countries..
i thought americans only get 530 and up..guess i was wrong

others are with some good suggestions... the M35/45 is awsome, lexus GS350, Acura TL/RL, etc.. all those listed are more in what you are looking for. the G35 is lil more sporty!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM
You are exactly where I was 3 months ago. I would suggest you look at the M35 instead of the G35 if you are concerned about comfort and room. I was a previous BMW540 (E39 body) owner and just could not accept the body style and cheap minimalist interior of the E60. I tried the 525 and 530 and both are underpowered, the 545 is nice, but not worth the $50K+ sticker for the maintenance hell you will go through owning a BMW. All my friends that have bought the new 5 or 7 series regret it after the 1st year. In the end I wanted a 6 speed rear drive car and the M35/M45 did not offer this option so I went with the G35. (Love this car!!!) I am also 5'11", 45 years old and 220 lbs and the drive feels fine to me (05 6MT with prem, aero, nav, XM). Seat bolster are snug but not to the point of discomfort. I would suggest you take a long test drive if you consider the G. Acura TL is nice but small and the RL starts at $50K. Don't know why Infinity won't put a 6 speed in the M45, if they did, it would be in my garage right now........... hope this helps ... just my $.02 ...........

Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Another vote for checking out the M35 here.

Also depends how long you are planning on keeping the vehicle, Infiniti is going to be more reliable in the long run in general than BMW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need your Help!! G-35 or BMW-525i