G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Shorter driver's seatbelt latch arm? Very uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shorter driver's seatbelt latch arm? Very uncomfortable

Is there anywhere/anyway to get a shorter (or flexible) arm for the latch on the driver's side. I test drove a G35 6MT and it drives well (I've been a fan of the car for awhile), but I could not get a secure fit in the driver's seat.

With my seat adjusted to a comfortable position, there's a large gap between me and the seatbelt+latch on the right side, so I'm left loosely buckled and it's VERY annoying. Just going around the block had me constantly tugging at the belt in a futile subconscious attempt to tighten it. Raising the seat higher up takes out some of the gap and tightens up the fit, but at that point I'm sitting in a position that feels way too high, with my head an inch or less from the roof (at first my hair was actually touching the roof, then I lowered it a little).

I never would have thought that I could be "too thin" for a Japanese car. I'm 5'9" and 155lbs, which doesn't seem that outrageous. I've been searching for an aftermarket seatbelt kit or something, with little luck. After searching on here, it seems that the most common seatbelt problem is neck rubbing and the need for seatbelt extenders to accommodate "larger" drivers. Right now, this silly, cheap piece of rigid metal pretty much eliminates this car from vehicles to choose from. I've never run into such a weird dealbreaker on a vehicle before. I noticed the passenger side latch arm is shorter, but the dealer said they couldn't touch the driver's side arm because of legal/liability/warranty issues.

During the second visit to the dealer (I was determined to try to find a comfortable position), I also noticed the weird little arm/guide used to position the seatbelt over the shoulder. It looks like it would break easily...anyone have issues with that breaking?

Last edited by GTinfiniti; 08-13-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:30 AM
moe
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to mention all the damn noises that the belts make rubbing against the leather, etc... I designed a suede seatbelt cover that is super thin, and makes it very comfortable and quiet.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I guess I'm the only one with this particular issue? I've tried scouring the 'net and can't seem to find anything that would help out. Just lots of seatbelt pads and belt extenders. It seems like anyone that is thin and tall would have a problem getting a tight lap fit, especially since they'd be likely to have the seat positioned even lower than I would?!?

It's starting to look like I'd have to drop the G35C from my list and consider a 350Z instead (however, the idea of Nissan service departments and a worse warranty for ~ the same price is really killing me...plus that 350Z interior...ouch).

Old 08-21-2005, 10:23 PM
No, your not the only one. I have the same problem with mine, and I'm 5' 8", 190 lb. I have the seat as low as it will go, and can get rid of some of it by raising the seat, but then it just feels like I'm driving a truck. So, I'm thinking of bending the metal bracket, when the dealer tells me there's nothing they can do about it.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Try this, it sorta worked for me.

Go to your dealer and have them switch the passenger seatbelt latch with your driver side one. The passenger one is a bit shorter and may help a little bit.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:26 PM
"Go to your dealer and have them switch the passenger seatbelt latch with your driver side one."

I noticed that the passenger arm was shorter and asked the dealer if they could swap the driver arm for a passenger length arm. However, they called back and told me that they absolutely can't touch the seatbelt arm for liability/warranty reasons. If I can't get the #1 car on my list, maybe I'll make an ultimatum to the Infiniti dealer : find some way to get Infiniti to approve swapping out the arm and I'll buy. Otherwise, I'm walking (although most likely I'll be walking to a Nissan dealership, so I guess that wouldn't really "hurt" the company much).

The length is even noticable in photos (saw this in the '06 photo thread)...