G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

got NXT..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got NXT..

hi guys,
just read the directions on the back, looks like meguires recommends doing the whole car at once and then take it off after its dried, what are some advantages of doing panel by panel instead of doing the whole car at once?

thanks.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by player
hi guys,
just read the directions on the back, looks like meguires recommends doing the whole car at once and then take it off after its dried, what are some advantages of doing panel by panel instead of doing the whole car at once?

thanks.

Honestly, with NXT/spray on wax by Meguiars (basically what I call "watered down wax"), I do the whole car, then take it off AFTER I am done. The secret is to do it at early evening after a wash. That stuff is not impossible to remove.

Real wax though, will be a pain once it dries and in hot weather.

There is no advantage or disadvantage, its all the same.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Honestly, with NXT/spray on wax by Meguiars (basically what I call "watered down wax"), I do the whole car, then take it off AFTER I am done. The secret is to do it at early evening after a wash. That stuff is not impossible to remove.

Real wax though, will be a pain once it dries and in hot weather.

There is no advantage or disadvantage, its all the same.
ill be doing all this tomorrow at like 8am, fun

Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NXT's probably the easiest to use polymer wax currently available.

it's not the waxing that takes time when you use NXT, it is the prep.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
NXT's probably the easiest to use polymer wax currently available.

it's not the waxing that takes time when you use NXT, it is the prep.
prep as in wash/claybar etc?

Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by player
prep as in wash/claybar etc?

Yes.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:10 PM
I honestly live by Meguiars products. However... When it comes to wax... I tust Zymol. Its about 12 bucks a bottle. Light blue color. I use it on my G and my wifes 2005 Black Armada.... First things first. Get your car out of the sun... You don't want your paint to be hot to the touch. The wax never gets a chance to adhere to the paint properly before it dries. Apply the wax one 2'x2' square at a time. For Zymol, Never let the wax dry. Use a clean cotton wax applicator. Apply the wax to the applicator, not the car. Start applying the wax with a rubbing motion... and continue to do so. The wax will go from a wet liquid to a filmy dry wax... Keep rubbing until the wax is 90% gone. Then get a dry clean cotton cloth to remove the excess dry wax. Repeat these steps accross the entire car. Now for a step that many leave out... Once you have completed the entire car, Spray your car down with a slight mist of water. The cold water will harden the wax completely and remove any excess powdery residue. But moreso for the hardening of the wax. Dry your car and simply whipe it down one last time with a dry cloth. I promise you the best shine you will ever see.

If you are going to do anything, Do it right the first time. Work smarter, not harder!!!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by G-Crazy
I honestly live by Meguiars products. However... When it comes to wax... I tust Zymol. Its about 12 bucks a bottle. Light blue color. I use it on my G and my wifes 2005 Black Armada.... First things first. Get your car out of the sun... You don't want your paint to be hot to the touch. The wax never gets a chance to adhere to the paint properly before it dries. Apply the wax one 2'x2' square at a time. For Zymol, Never let the wax dry. Use a clean cotton wax applicator. Apply the wax to the applicator, not the car. Start applying the wax with a rubbing motion... and continue to do so. The wax will go from a wet liquid to a filmy dry wax... Keep rubbing until the wax is 90% gone. Then get a dry clean cotton cloth to remove the excess dry wax. Repeat these steps accross the entire car. Now for a step that many leave out... Once you have completed the entire car, Spray your car down with a slight mist of water. The cold water will harden the wax completely and remove any excess powdery residue. But moreso for the hardening of the wax. Dry your car and simply whipe it down one last time with a dry cloth. I promise you the best shine you will ever see.

If you are going to do anything, Do it right the first time. Work smarter, not harder!!!
i heard zymol is good too, im assuming you havent tried NXT yet though right? there are alot of people that were amazed by the results thats why i picked it up

Old 08-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Zaino. Nuff said. 4 months and my car still looks freshly waxed. I wash it and apply Z-7 every 3-4 weeks and it looks like day 1. My car is also parked outside 24/7.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
Zaino. Nuff said. 4 months and my car still looks freshly waxed. I wash it and apply Z-7 every 3-4 weeks and it looks like day 1. My car is also parked outside 24/7.
was gonna buy the zaino kit but im leaving for college next week and doesnt make sense to drop $90 on something im not gonna use right away

Old 08-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meguiars NXT, period. imo, Zaino doesn't cut it for me. I work at the shipyard, and Zaino doesn't last.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:36 PM
If interesting in the Zaino, cut your cost by just getting the carwash (Z7), polish (Z2) and AFX speed cure drops, and Gloss Enhancer Spray (Z6).

As with any wax/polish, you'd be smart to invest in some good towels. 100% USA Cotton and Made In The USA. Don't skimp. And yeh, it hurts to cut up $200 in towels.

I got the big Zaino kit and found that there are items I just don't use. But that's no reason to dismiss the products. Just get only what you know you'll use.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
Not sure how you're applying Z7 since that's the car wash. I take it that you mean Z6, the quick detailer?

I'm a big Zaino user myself but if you need something that you can pick up at the local store, NXT works very well. I went to wash my car a couple of weeks ago and found out that I was out of ZFX. Ran to the local Auto Source and picked up some NXT and it worked great. Easy to apply and remove, just like Zaino and it looks great. We'll see how long it lasts.

To answer the original question, apply it on the whole car and then remove it. It goes on very easy so it won't take long at all. You might even have to wait a bit after applying it before you remove it.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Like any product, we all use what we trust. Doesn't matter if its an air intake, exhaust, TT Vs SC, or Wax... We all have our own opinions. I have mine becuase I worked at a high-end car detailer a few years back as a part time job. We used a special wax by 3M. Its a commercial wax. Can't buy it. It was like $120 bucks a bottle. Zymol showed me the closest quility to that 3M product to date. At 12 bucks a bottle... Can't beat the price for the quality.

In addition to waxing regulaly, I recommend using the Meguiars Clay kit. I used it on my car after owning for 6 months. My paint had these tiny microscopic particles on the paint that I couldn't see but could feel. I used the clay kit and it turned my paint to SILK!!! I then waxed directly afterwards. I would say to use the clay kit about every 6 months, depending on your environment. Corpus Christi is very salty and the dust in south texas is like hell.

I would say, buy a couple different types of waxes and go with what you think is best for you! Maguiars Gold, Zymol, Maguiars NXT, Zaino (Pricey) etc...

Good luck and Happy Waxing!!!

Old 08-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I use NXT all the time. I do the whole car (takes about 30 mins or so .. I apply with a Porter Cable Dual Action). Then I let the car sit for another 10 minutes or so. Meguiars recommends the "swipe test" to see if it's ready to remove.

From Meguiars Online Forums ...
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=2166.

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove

A good rule of thumb for knowing when a Meguiar?s wax is ready to remove, is to wait until the wax dries to a haze and swipes clear using the Swipe Test. In most cases, in most climates, this should be approximately 10 to 15 minutes after application. In warmer climates, it will hedge towards the 10 minute range, and in colder, wet climates, it will take longer and hedge towards the 15 and even 20 to 25 minute range. Other factors include how thick of a coat you applied, relative humidity and air flow.

Another way to test if the wax has set-up long enough besides measuring with time, is to perform the Swipe Test.

"Swipe Test"

The swipe test is where you take your clean finger, and swipe it briskly across the finish with the wax on it. If the paint is clear, without residue where your finger made the swipe, the wax is ready to wipe-off. If the area you have swiped is smudgy, or streaky, or there is noticeable wax in the swipe area, then the wax has not set-up long enough and you should allow more time for the wax to set-up before your remove it.

If you remove it before it has set-up, you will risk removing too much of the wax from the surface and thus leave less than engineered to remain behind on the finish.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.