G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

DIY: LED Coupe Clear Corners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G6MT
Very nice, but I prefer White over Ambers
I actually feel Amber looks better. I think white looks a tad cheesy to be honest with you. But everyone has different tastes! Like I said before you can do this whole thing using white LEDs if you wanted.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by cup0spam
Nice wheel rash
Tell me about it. I got that from a NYC pothole the 2nd day I owned her. I almost cried when I saw it.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:55 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
EK,
If you look at the wiring diagram on my DIY you will see that source voltage is actually around 14.4V. You need to get the proper resistors to prevent this current from burning out the LEDs. That site I pointed out has a neat LED array calculator which does all the work for you. BTW, I have some questions about your projector retro I will PM you about. Thanks
Yeah, I saw the links. Thanks for posting them. But I didn't know what to input for current. I'm really horrible with electronics. I'm wondering what it would take to power up 12 LEDs in a single line with a 12V power source.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by E_K
Yeah, I saw the links. Thanks for posting them. But I didn't know what to input for current. I'm really horrible with electronics. I'm wondering what it would take to power up 12 LEDs in a single line with a 12V power source.
If it is an automotive application it will be 14.4V not 12. The array calculator on that site will ask for source voltage so just input that, operating current, and number of LEDs in the array.

You can also do it in a simpler fashion by linking all the LEDs up parallel and using one resistor. However, I did this with my first design and it did not work correctly. The LEDs would shine at different light levels. However, other members have done it this way with success.

BTW, what are you trying to make?

Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by S-Tuned
hotness.. im def. want to see it in person 862-881-7999 hit me up some time Pete. my name is Rob btw
Rob,
I will probably be attending local NJ AutoX events or the next big regional track events if you want to meet up.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 AM
E_K
If it is an automotive application it will be 14.4V not 12. The array calculator on that site will ask for source voltage so just input that, operating current, and number of LEDs in the array.

You can also do it in a simpler fashion by linking all the LEDs up parallel and using one resistor. However, I did this with my first design and it did not work correctly. The LEDs would shine at different light levels. However, other members have done it this way with success.

BTW, what are you trying to make?
Ok, I just figured that it was 12V, because the light bulb in the power source right now says 12V.

I'm trying to put some LEDs into my headlights. What's the operating current going to be? The power source is going to come from the signal clearance light.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by E_K
Ok, I just figured that it was 12V, because the light bulb in the power source right now says 12V.

I'm trying to put some LEDs into my headlights. What's the operating current going to be? The power source is going to come from the signal clearance light.
It will be 14.0-14.4 V source voltage. I would go with 14.4 for all your calculations. I would love to see pics of your work if you don't mind. I need to see how much room you have in the clearance strip to make the proper circuit.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 PM
E_K
The clearance strip is made up of two pieces. There's an outer clear lens, and a chrome back half. There's a good amount of room there. I have 2 extra pairs of headlights, if you're willing, I could send you the clearance strip and pay you to put in the LEDs for me. I could also give you an extra pair of clearance strips in exchange.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by E_K
The clearance strip is made up of two pieces. There's an outer clear lens, and a chrome back half. There's a good amount of room there. I have 2 extra pairs of headlights, if you're willing, I could send you the clearance strip and pay you to put in the LEDs for me. I could also give you an extra pair of clearance strips in exchange.
Well I don't feel really comfortable in making anything for members (I am not experienced enough and I wouldnt want to put out a product I can't stand behind with 100% certainty. You might want to try AfroPUFF he has made many LED sets for members. I am PMing you about those headlights of yours.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Ray, I wish I could have a printed PCB for this project. It would have made life A LOT easier. If you have a source who could do this I would be very interested. All that copper wiring and solder is ghetto haha. My goal is to convert all the bulbs in this car into LED. I will send you a PM.
Hi Pete,

A PM has been sent to you.

Regards,
Ray

Old 09-07-2005, 10:03 PM
it it illegal to have blue led corners? what color choices do I have if i want to change my corners?

p.s. does anyone recommend a place to buy PIAA Dual LED Wedge Bulbs?

Last edited by james34; 09-07-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM
I'd pay for a printed board and component kit. Hook me up!

My ideal setup would be two rows.... 1 row white for side marker and 2nd row to second lead that could be tied to blinker using vampire crimps. This way you blink yellow and ride white.

Please PM or announce as a new thread if you come out with PCB.

P