G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Noise coming from underneath the car..HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise coming from underneath the car..HELP!

i just noticed today that there is a clicking noise coming from underneath my car. I've managed to break it down to this...
its a high pitched clicking almost like the sound of a spark. when in neutral and gas depressed there is NO clicking. The noise seems (not 100% sure though) to be coming from the right rear of the car and from underneath it. i dont think its from the suspension cause i tested it out. The noise comes when the car is jerked forward or backwards when accelerating, i hear 3-5 clicks at the begining of acceleration of each gear 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even in reverse.
any ideas? the only thing i can think of is that i had my rim and tire replaced and maybe they over torqued the lug nuts, could it be...

ohhh one more thing and i dont konw if its related, once today when idling i was having a look underneath the car to see if i could see anything i heard excessive rattling from the engine/exhaust but then i pressed the gas and that problem went away, are they related?

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 07-06-2003, 03:07 AM
Re: Noise coming from underneath the car..HELP!

did you replace the exhaust with an aftermarket muffler? The best way to figure out a problem with your car is to think about all the modifications you've made and go from the most recent and recheck those parts. If you couldn't find the problem after you've double checked all your mods, then bring it to the dealer.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:47 AM

this is a long shot, but way back when I used to get little gravel pieces stuck somewhere between the brake caliper and rotor of another car model. it didn't damage either and would eventually fall out, but you'd hear it as you started to move. see if something like a piece of paper or cardboard or even little rocks are wedged in. it won't be easy to see, but if you get a car on the lift at eye height, it should be easy to just turn the wheel by hand with your ear right next to it. as a do it yourself move, you might just jack up that wheel where the noise is coming from and spin it by hand as much as you can. don't get underneath it, however, with just a jack from the car.

BONDg35c

Old 07-06-2003, 11:34 AM

no mods on the car,
thanks bondg35c, i'll have a look under the wheel today....
like i said i only hear the noise when the car jerks, like taking off in 1st or second, even 3rd.....(also revesre).

02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 07-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a leaking exhaust or a nail in one of your tires. A leaky exhaust is louder the closer to the exhaust headers and sometimes goes away as the car heats up and expands sealing off leak.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:18 PM

I got the same thing.. took it to the dealership just make sure... it's just the heat expanding and contracting the metal.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:25 PM

I have a simmilar noise. I am taking it to the dealer soon. In my opinion, its not a heat related sounds. Something is creaking when the car moves lateraly forward or backward. I hear with the windows down both accelerating and occasionally stopping. Drive in a parking garage with the windows down, and you will really hear it.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:46 PM

bigel,
ya thats the noise, i dont know if its always been there or it just started cause i always have the stereo on. i just noticed yesterday in an underground garage.
Bigel, have u been able to locate where u think the noise is coming from? and do u only hear the creak on jeky movements of the car?

02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 07-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the exact noise you're talking about and it drives me nuts too, but I've taken it to Infiniti service and they said it's normal. It's just the car cooling down (according to them), similar to what you've probably heard on other performance cars (but definitely not as sharp or loud).

Still bugs me though, especially because, like you, I find the snaps increase in frequency after switching gears, which shouldn't be related to heat. All I can say is that I've driven the car about 1800 miles since then without any problems developing.

I'm curious about whether it'll change or go away when I install a Borla exhaust. Maybe I should try changing the transmission fluid too, in case it really is transmission-based. It just doesn't sound like a "healthy" noise for a car to make. But again, it's supposed to be normal.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 07-06-2003, 10:30 PM

I've noticed this noise too. I haven't really noticed it while driving, but then again I always have music playing, usually at a volume of 10-15. When I notice it is when I park the car and get out of it. It also seems worse on a hot day or when I've been driving a bit on the agressive side. I assumed this was just heat-related cooldown noise, which I've hear with other cars though not as loud as with this one. Glad to hear that at least one service tech think this is normal.

Jeff Kohn
H-Town, TX
2003.5 Automatic Sedan, Desert Platinum/Willow, Premium, Nav, Tint

Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 AM

I swear mine comes from the right rear of the car, but its hard to pinpoint. I don't think heat has a darn thing to do with it because mine will do it when the car is stone cold.

I also don't think its suspension related because I don't hear the noise when going over the speed bump. But, as soon as I accelerate its sounds like an old matress spring creaking back there.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:53 AM

i hear the popping/clicking noise when the car is cold too.
its damn annoying......it almost sounds like a spark.
called the service department and he didn't think it was a concern and gave me an appointment july 22nd. i'm going to take it in to another dealer today.

02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 07-07-2003, 03:14 PM

i dont think it has anything to do with the heat, today it was in the low 20's here in to and cloudy and i still heard the noise.
i took it to the dealer, went for a test drive and the guy said its not from the brakes, shocks or the exhaust, he said it could be from a stabilizer bar or the differential or just simply a loose nut/bolt. made an appointment for next thursday.

02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 07-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Is it just when you take off at the beginning of the day- if so, there is a abs/tcs/vdc reset when you move away from a stop immediately following start-up which sounds like some rapid ticking, but only for a second or two (ratchety sounding).

If it happens every time or often on acceleration under load, more pronounced when it's hot, then I would ask what are you using for gas, because that ticking could be caused by poor fuel quality/ formulation/grade. And will have a list of effects too long to list, but suffice to say, none of those effects are good.

DB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise coming from underneath the car..HELP!