G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

$776 for 30k mile service. Did I get ripped off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just about to have my second oil change, and called dealer and got quoted $18 if I bring my own oil and filter. I usually do oil my self, but the G is too low to get up to the ramp.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I haven't had a 30K service as yet but according to a price guide I have from the dealer it should be $339 and in clude

oil and Filter change

Check Fluid levels

Multi-paint inspection

Inspect exhaust system

inspect steering gear linkage

inspect axel and Suspension

Rotate tires*

inspect brakes

inspect Battery

replace air filter

inspect and clean cabin mircofilter

inspect drive shaft boots

inspect vacuum hoses

Drain and refill trans oil 4 qt

coolant should be changed at 60K not 30k

Old 10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by blueSKYLINE
wow that is one long list. I have the exact same car as u. And I have 29.5K miles currently. I'm replacing my break pads and fixing the rotors myself next week. Then getting new tires and alignment. Then i will go to infiniti and ask them for an estimate on 30K maintenance.

Is the list of things that they do on 30K like standard for all, or is it something they come up with after inspecting the car. Couz what i would like to do is get that list post it up here and u all will tell me what do i really need and what are they trying to rip me off with.
Milena-

Get your oil changed, decide if you want to pay for inspections. I opted for brake inspection, trans inspection, steering system inspection/lube. Change your own air and cabin filters. Takes ten minutes. My quote at Lisle went from $345 to $118. You can not have your warranty voided for not having inspections done so it's up to you to decide what you want to pay them to look at.

I have a thread about this on chicagoz, if you have q pm me there.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Blueskyline-

I just got back from my 30k. My originally was $550 which included just about everything. I then went down the list and listed only what I needed to be done and the total came out to be $250. More than HALF the cost. The service guy helping me even recommended me to take off additional things I had listed because he said they weren't really necessary. So here's what I have done:

1)Regular 3750 Mile service which includes:
Replace engine oil and filter.
Inspect exhaust sytem (didnt need this but oh well)
Inspect battery
Price for oil change = $34.95 Labor = 20.24

2)In-cabin filters
$90
Replaced per customer. Labor = 54.06 Parts - 35.94

3)Coolant service
Replaced coolant
Labor =120 (pricey!) parts - 8.50

total came out about 194.3 in labor and 59.15 in parts w/ tax the total was about 258. Hope this helps.

Only reason why I did the coolant was cuz i had a leakage earlier so I wanted a fresh replacement. This can be done at 60k. So that should take off an additional 130. Again I just had a BBK installed so I didnt need to inspect any of that, but you might want them to do that for you. I was also told that the MT fluid and differential fluid was not needed right now and that I should wait on that.

Last edited by imalazeeass; 10-05-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Z2G
Originally Posted by avs007
What antenna mast? Reminds me of a simpsons episode dealing with getting a stem-lube.

I tend to distrust what dealers say, and like to do my own service. Some examples:

I had the radiator replaced in my wife's old TL at the dealer. About 2-3 weeks later I came back for other service. They said the radiator needs to be flushed, because the coolant is old/dirty. But they just replaced the whole radiator a few weeks prior, which means it has all new fluid. I asked them about that, and they said they would look into why the master mechanic wrote that.

On a previous occasion, they said I needed new tires, because the tread was low. However, the previous weekend I had 4 new tires installed. I asked them about that, and they admitted they only said that based on the mileage on the car.

On another occasion they said that I needed to have the tranny fluid flushed, even tho I already flushed it previously. They said the warranty would be void if it isn't flushed. I pointed out that the manual stated that a flush wasn't recommended until 60,000 miles, and even than, it said it was recommended, not required. So they changed their story and said you need a special machine to flush the tranny. So I asked them to show me the procedures in the service manual, because I have the service manual, and it doesn't make mention of any such special machine. That's when they backed down.
wow....i think it's a sign that you need to find a new dealer. talk about shady!!!!

Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Yea I think you got ripped off pretty bad. Dealers are totally shady. They have these two lists. Recommended maintanace list from manufacturer then their recommended list tagged on to it, but they won't tell the ahead of time this has been done. Basically just additional money they can steal from you. Tag on a bunch of services to the list and try to make you feel guilty for not taking care of your car if you aren't willing to commit to it. They are great at lying too, some service advisors are quick to their feet and can think of an excuse right away. Check out my situation.

This is not a G35.
Usually I have my car done at one dealership but due to convineince I took it to another dealer for the next scheduled maintance. So I dropped my car off in the morning before work and got a call at work around 10 from the SA telling me I need my front rotor replaced because they are getting thin along with other list of things. (Keep in mind I never had my service done at this dealer before so they don't know my history) Funny thing is I just had my front rotor replaced at my usual dealer 10k ago. I informed the SA that my front rotor has just been replaced 10k ago how can it be so worned that it needs replacement when majority of my commute is freeway. Then comes a silence on the line because he knew he has been caught and couple seconds later he responded "Well it is possible because these rotors are soft for better bite during braking." I told him to give me the measurements on the rotor but he doesn't have any and of course I told him not to perform any brake job until I have the numbers. At the end of the day when I went to pick up the car I asked him what are the measurements again and he said no it's okay they are still within working tolerance. Really? I didnt know that in the first place. That was 12 months ago and I have since put on another 25-30k miles on the same rotor. Next time my rotor wears out I am doing it myself.

This is why I hate dealers so much. They try to rip you off when you buy from them and try to rip you off after you bought from them. Dont give them an early xmas unless you have to.

Last edited by CarCrazed; 10-05-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A little late but....$54 for labor on the in-cabin filter!! I did mine in less than 5 minutes (with witnesses at the last install meet)!! That comes out to around $650 an hour!!

Old 11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Infiniti are expensive go to your local Nissan for a tune-up instead

Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 PM
How do you replace that in-cabin AC filter? I don't know if I even need one seeing as how my AC works AWESOME but...just in case...And I don't know if I should wait to do the coolant flush and belt change at like 60k...

Old 11-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by gizsf
A little late but....$54 for labor on the in-cabin filter!! I did mine in less than 5 minutes (with witnesses at the last install meet)!! That comes out to around $650 an hour!!
How do you do this?

Old 11-11-2005, 09:37 AM
They basically added everything under the sun and they charged you for it. I would go back and raise hell to get a partial refund.

There's no anntenna mast to clean; WTF did they do clean your rear window? Also the fuel filter? They don't ever need to replace it and I doubt they actually did. The rest of the stuff is all bull, but its what you can get if you don't ask ahead of time.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by PEPPY
they can't give me a loaner for a "couple weeks". They do not refuse, me but I think they give "cash customers" preference.
if your car is in the shop for warranty work for a "couple weeks" then by all means they need to give you a loaner for that time, or get you a rental car. the dealership doesn't pay for those costs, infiniti does.

as for expensive services, go to a nissan dealer. they are factory authorized to do service on infiniti's (not warranty work though) and are much cheaper. the service for our cars is basically the same as for the 350z.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beowulf
They basically added everything under the sun and they charged you for it. I would go back and raise hell to get a partial refund.

There's no anntenna mast to clean; WTF did they do clean your rear window? Also the fuel filter? They don't ever need to replace it and I doubt they actually did. The rest of the stuff is all bull, but its what you can get if you don't ask ahead of time.
Is that true, the fuel filter doesn't EVER need replacing? I have always replaced those at or around 30k on other vehicles. You have to be specific when having service performed, if you just take it in and tell them to do the 30k, they'll do everything, at big service intervals like that, I would pick and choose, like alignment, I wouldn't have that done if my tires were wearing even.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 11-13-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frostydc4
How do you do this?
It's pretty simple...Its just behind the glove box. First you pop of the trim panel that is on your "infiniti" sill in the doorway, then pull down the plastic panel under the glove box by just pulling downwards on it, then unscrew the plastic nut with your finger in the passenger footwell (right where the carpeting starts going up under the dash) and then pop the panel out by pulling it inward (in the direction of the center console). Now onto the glove box itself. There are 4 screws that you will see when it is open...unscrew them and give a downwards on the glove box...it will pop right out. Don't disconnect and wires (especially yellow plugs) since its not neccesary. You will now see a big plastic white box with a little door on it. Open the door and grab the filter....throw in the new one and re-install the door....glove box..panels....etc. Thats it. It sounds alot more confusing than it really is. Also when you buy the filter from infiniti , it comes with install instructions too!

Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 AM
is it true is that if you do your 30k miles service in a local autoshop, it will void your warranty?