G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

orange peel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have not noticed this but will give another good look. My car looks like glass most of the time.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:33 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to look at it at night with a street light reflecting off of it. Move up and down or left and right "moving" the light along a panel of the body. I would try the trunk in particular. You will see a rippled texture.

I gauruntee every G35 has it. Every factory paint will have orange peel. Only a show car quality paint job would not have orange peel.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by autopainter
Hey guys,

I've been painting cars for 14 years now (mainly collision work). Yes it is possible to remove orange peel. The problem is, the clear is there to protect the base from UV rays, bird crap, etc. When you sand some off, you're going to have less protection.

Also, if you get a scratch, you have some material to work with to try and remove (if the scratch is in the clear only). If you have already sanded off the orange peel, then you probably won't be able to get the scratch out without repainting.

Due to ever increasing air quality standards, the clear has become thicker (high solids), using less solvents to reduce VOC emissions. That is what's causing the orange peel. When spraying, there is a fine line between getting the clear to lay down wet with minimum orange peel and having runs and sags. Believe me, I have taken out my share of runs!!

My ultimate goal every time I paint a car is not having to cut and buff it afterwards. Unfortunately, all to often, I have to knock down the dirt nibs and also knockdown the texture to match the rest of the vehicle.

Please don't try this at home!! You have to buff the sand scratches out with a high speed rotary buffer. If you don't know what you are doing, you will burn through your clearcoat in a second. And if that happens, your only remedy is to get the panel repainted,-- and depending where the burn-through is-- the adjacent panel as well. (So the color can be blended out)

If you really can't stand the amount of orange peel on your car, then have a quality body shop do it, it will cost you, but you won't be disappointed in the results. If you live in the Sacramento area, I could do it for you, I would charge you less than a body shop would.

I have seen the orange peel on my G, (03 sedan, brilliant silver), but it is not that noticable because of the light color. In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to replace my G with an 03 coupe,carribean blue/graphite interior-- IMO that's got to be the most beautiful combonation-- but that's a whole other topic. I know I am going to lose a lot of money, but I'm going to finally get the car I want. I am rambling now, so I am going to stop here.
You have provided about the best explanation of what causes orange peel and how it is remedied that I have ever read. Also, as you point out the color of the car has a lot to do with how noticeable the peel is. As with every other imperfection, black shows up the peel the best.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UofMG35
I don't think I've ever seen orange peel on a G35... first for eveything. What color is your exterior?
Either you're not looking too hard or you don't know what it is. Twice I have gone to the dealership with the intention to buy. Instead of just doing it I do the inspection thing. Changed my mind for several reasons. One is the orange peel on every car in the lot. I couldn't believe it. Among the other reasons were the lack of quality build compared to Lexus and....I know you're going to hate this....I parked the G I test drove next to my modded SC300. There is no way it looks better and definitely does not closely approach the quality build level. I just thought it didn't make sense.

I'm still planning to get a G35. I just can't trade in a better car for it. So I'll have both. Which means saving up more money for the down payment. I do love the G35 but Lexus is #1 in my heart.