Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acetone improves MPG?

Some people are reporting more that 10%

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

Someone on a forum tested it out and he said that he went from 24mpg to 30mpg.

People say that problems is that acetone will dissolve rubber and gaskets, but the mixture calls for about 1oz acetone/10g gas, so that's about a .000009% to 99.999991% mixture

Acetone lowers the temperature of the gasoline. Have you ever put Acetone or Paint Thinner on your hands, rubbed it around and moved your hands through the air? Doesnt it feel like cold water?

This does the same to the gasoline, except lower the freezing/boiling point. This acts as a fuel chiller, and the cylinders in the engine combust better when the fuel is at it's coldest. Much reason why engines seem to be more "responsive" and "peppy" when they're cold.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what chills your hands is the alchohol. If it were me i wouldent use it on my G...lol

Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Atooraya
Some people are reporting more that 10%

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

Someone on a forum tested it out and he said that he went from 24mpg to 30mpg.

People say that problems is that acetone will dissolve rubber and gaskets, but the mixture calls for about 1oz acetone/10g gas, so that's about a .000009% to 99.999991% mixture

Acetone lowers the temperature of the gasoline. Have you ever put Acetone or Paint Thinner on your hands, rubbed it around and moved your hands through the air? Doesnt it feel like cold water?

This does the same to the gasoline, except lower the freezing/boiling point. This acts as a fuel chiller, and the cylinders in the engine combust better when the fuel is at it's coldest. Much reason why engines seem to be more "responsive" and "peppy" when they're cold.
I'm not sure about all these results. From a chemistry point of view, you statements doesn't make too much sense. Adding Acetone wouldn't make you fuel cooler (unless the Acetone is cooler). As for why you feel like it's cold on your hands when you wave your hand is due to the fact that the Acetone evaporates at a lower temperature than water. You will always feel you hands getting cool by doing this with water too but water doesn't evaporate as fast. I don't want to go into too much details of why this is (it'll just confused everyone)

Now, all the other stuff may make sense but I have to do some research on the long term benefits of this and see what kind of damage this may cause the engine. In all fairness, Methanal, Ethanol, and other alchohols will be much more effecient than Gasoline. However, the Gasoline industry isn't going to let this happen. There already are cars that runs on Alchohols but the engine has to be design differently than what we drive. Anyone want to be the guinnea pig and try this?

Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
I'm not sure about all these results. From a chemistry point of view, you statements doesn't make too much sense
Agreed.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
I'm not sure about all these results. From a chemistry point of view, you statements doesn't make too much sense. Adding Acetone wouldn't make you fuel cooler (unless the Acetone is cooler). As for why you feel like it's cold on your hands when you wave your hand is due to the fact that the Acetone evaporates at a lower temperature than water. You will always feel you hands getting cool by doing this with water too but water doesn't evaporate as fast. I don't want to go into too much details of why this is (it'll just confused everyone)

Now, all the other stuff may make sense but I have to do some research on the long term benefits of this and see what kind of damage this may cause the engine. In all fairness, Methanal, Ethanol, and other alchohols will be much more effecient than Gasoline. However, the Gasoline industry isn't going to let this happen. There already are cars that runs on Alchohols but the engine has to be design differently than what we drive. Anyone want to be the guinnea pig and try this?

that 2nd link is proof of people who have tried it

also, some of those quotes i copied off another forum i read this on

Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM
So, does that mean you will be the Ginnea Pig?

I never said it doesn't work or that I need proof from other readers. I mean I will have to do the some research to see if this is true from a chemistry perspective. I am, afterall, a chem major at one point so I like to see how things work. It's like people saying that adding a CAI to their car. I have to see the results from someone I know before I trust the results. 100 guys can say adding acetone will work but all I need is one person I know to make me a believer. Like I said, from a chemistry point of view, half of the statements doesn't make sense and the other half are hearsay (yes, I read the link before my original post). I just want to know who's gonna be the first Ginnea Pig? Not me

Old 09-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm, you tried it and let us know what happens.

BTW some1 told me that if u put sugar in ur tank that it improves ur MPG by 100%

Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Moth ***** increase horsepower

All this stuff is gunna somehow F up your g35's-- I'd do it to a civic tho.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by escobar929
hmm, you tried it and let us know what happens.

BTW some1 told me that if u put sugar in ur tank that it improves ur MPG by 100%
i heard sarcasm improves MPG

i'm being serious here. people have done this and they get results. can we try to keep this serious? if this guy is a chem major and can prove it, it would be nice

Old 09-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I actually have a degree in Chemistry. I'm not a PHD though so don't call me Doc :P Now, just because I'm the chemist here, I'm not going to F'up my engine based on Hearsay. I will be glad to assist you with your car if you want to do it. I'll make sure to do all the exact measuring so we get the right proportions correctly

Last edited by mephistomyhero; 09-20-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:12 PM
i'm not testing it on mine either

Old 09-20-2005, 06:31 PM
i would test it on my pocket bike.... but it doesn't have an odo... lol

Old 09-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Atooraya

Hello, my name is evaporation. I don't think we've met.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all an Oil company conspiracy, your car could simply just run on acetone...SCREW THE GAS!

Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
It's all an Oil company conspiracy, your car could simply just run on acetone...SCREW THE GAS!
I Smell Guinea Pig! Go MikeyMike! Go MikeyMike! It's your Birthday!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acetone improves MPG?