Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Gangster Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Luver
Don't just sue for 500...
Your neck, back, lower back and legs are aching badly now,
time for a lawyer and medical reports.
Hopefully enough down payment for a new 06 G.

Kids like that deserve no future, I hope you ruin his life and put him in jail for life.
this guy, thats why he is a kid dumba$$, they gota learn, they go juvie maybe it will straightin them up, people like you derserve no future and should be put to jail for life for talking like this

Old 09-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Gangster Member
Originally Posted by filipm
for those of you who think that this kid should go to jail forever and bla bla bla.. damn... you need to chill. yeah, the kid messed up, but i mean come on.. you guys were/are kids also. The kid should have to pay for the damages.. obviously.. and have to wait to get a license till he's 18 or 21.. but thats just cause he got caught and obviously doesnt know how to drive.

People Mess Up.....

As far as recouping the damages. Call the family first, tell them that you would like to come over and talk to them to see if you can come to an agreement on an out of court settlement. If you go there with 10 people and 5 cars they wont even talk to you, thats the most ridiculous thing i ever heard. Trying to get them to pay for medical damages, also stupid... there arent any. If you go there and act like a normal person, in all liklihood they will treat you like a normal person, and you will get a normal outcome.

You just need to show to them that there are mutual benefits for everyone if its settled out of court.

filip

threats usualy only lead to more threats... keep that in mind.

finally a good statement

Old 09-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Hit and run is a criminal act and also leaving a scene of an accident. Also, this kid had priors. He's been doing this **** for awhile. He needs to be taught a lesson.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Luver
Don't just sue for 500...
Your neck, back, lower back and legs are aching badly now,
time for a lawyer and medical reports.
Hopefully enough down payment for a new 06 G.

Kids like that deserve no future, I hope you ruin his life and put him in jail for life.
You are simply kidding, right?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Why should the kid deserve another chance?

His judgement to hit-n-run from an accident scene
was clearly a result of not being punished the right way
when his parent had the first chance.

If his parent ain't gona teach him right,
then jail him away, we already have too many morons out the streets.

All those 2nd, 3rd, etc chances are the causes of violence in our society.

There are reasons to wait till you are of legal age to drive and take the
diving lessons, not just grab the keys and hit the gas.
You want to drive, then prepare to take the responsibility like an adult.

I still say, the kid deserves it up his a$$.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Just want to reiterate that the Criminal justice system will deal with the boy as far as that is concerned. You should sue him in small claims court, because you can get fees and during mediation (required prior to trial) you might be able to get his parents to settle with you for your $500. In the event you have to go to trial (and will win), you can personally file the judgment with the DMV in your State to ensure that he does not get a license until he pays the judgment. I am not a lawyer.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Happened to me 3 years ago and I had to have steel pins put in my lower ankle(1 per leg) The kid had no insurance, no license and of course did not own the car. I got money for the injuries and they fixed the car out of the uninsured motorist fund but I had to pay 250 deductable which I duely took not the kid but the parents to small claims court as they were still his legal guardians till 18 years old, I got all my money back plus of course court fees, they had no case when the police report was presented along with photos.
I say talk to them first as I tried that on 3 occasions and then when I saw they were just as bad as the kid I served papers on them.
Even when you win the case make sure they follow through as this kids parents did not so I garnished his wages until I got it all back.
small claims seems like a lot of work but once you do it step by step it is very easy and very quick. Unfortunately I have used the system 4 times and won every case.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Keep us updated with the situation!

Old 09-30-2005, 04:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two addresses. I got the address of the boy's sister. (I suppose I should go/call to the boy's place?)

Not sure if this will work, but the START is the sister's house (owner of car), and the END is the boy's house.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...2s=FL&2z=32901

If that link does not work... here are detailed images.

In RED, we have my University. The YELLOW dot is where the as$ hit me (turning left from babcock South to Florida Ave and stopped a second, then ran away going towards his house). From the green line to the left, we have DMV, some apartments, and then my university. To the RIGHT of the green line, we have the ghetto (they HAD TO live in the ghetto right?).

These two live 2 minutes away from each other

Map

Satellite View

I have a question for you guys... if the boy's SISTER told the cop that HER BROTHER stole the car, imagine what type of PARENTS I will be dealing with if I go there. There is no way in hell I'll go there alone as I'd like to think my life is worth more than 500$. I surely can call them though.

What if they dont have the money to pay 500$ and they dont work as to collect their paychecks? How will I get money THEN?

Old 09-30-2005, 04:32 AM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
See if you can get the insurance company to sue the family otherwise you will have to get your own lawyer. I wouldn't go to the kid's house; they could put a restraining order...
I think that my insurance wont go after him (thats what I understood when I asked them) despite them asking for the address of the car's owner.

Originally Posted by picus112
...I took the young womans parents to small claims court and was awarded my deductible and court costs but not the diminished value of the car (my damage was worse, ~$3400 repair bill) because it exceeded the max the small claims court could award. I then took them to court (with a lawyer) for the diminished value (not small claims) and was awarded $2600, which was the amount we determined the value of the car was diminished, plus our court costs (~$450 or something), plus the cost of renting a car for 10 days, plus the costs of missing work for 2 days.
What kind of hit did you get that made the diminished value be 2600? I thought you got 600$ only. What is the max amount you can get from small court? If I sue, I would sue for 500$ deductible, diminished value (no Idea how much to ask for this), and car rental. Any idea what this would add up to (car is supposed to be fixed in 2-3 weeks)?

Originally Posted by pdjafari
wow, sorry to hear about this bro...i just got my car back after wrecking into median...my own damn fault. anywayz im glad to see your ok and posting, hope everything works out in your favor!!
Thats what hurts me the most, I didnt do this damage. I was doing NOTHING wrong when this happened (not even speeding as my engine wasnt fully warmed up). I am ok healthwize, but thats as ok as I can get. I am posting, but much less than I would otherwize.

Originally Posted by urban
Happened to me 3 years ago and I had to have steel pins put in my lower ankle(1 per leg) The kid had no insurance, no license and of course did not own the car. I got money for the injuries and they fixed the car out of the uninsured motorist fund but I had to pay 250 deductable which I duely took not the kid but the parents to small claims court as they were still his legal guardians till 18 years old, I got all my money back plus of course court fees, they had no case when the police report was presented along with photos.
I say talk to them first as I tried that on 3 occasions and then when I saw they were just as bad as the kid I served papers on them.
Even when you win the case make sure they follow through as this kids parents did not so I garnished his wages until I got it all back.
small claims seems like a lot of work but once you do it step by step it is very easy and very quick. Unfortunately I have used the system 4 times and won every case.
I'm sure you did not get hit by someone from the ghetto with no money. You had to pay for court fees and everything prior to getting all back? I mean, I would have to pay for everything and wait till the jury decides who is at fault to get my car+court money back?

Old 09-30-2005, 11:32 AM
You have to pay for everything up front and then when they decide in your favor then they will add the cost to the claim. The kid who hit me had no money but most parents work and that is who I went after.]
Small claim courts have no jury, the judge decides there and then. If you fill out the forms and serve whoever you need to, the court date is a little over a month from then.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:36 PM
what do you mean with "serve whoever you need to" ? and how do I find "Small Court" in my area (and what the maximum $ I can get from small court)?

Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Small claims court
In small claims court, anyone over the age of 18 may sue on their own behalf or on behalf of their child. Thus, you do not have to hire an attorney to file a claim in small claims court. Most civil claims that do not exceed $5000 can be resolved in small claims court. Notable exceptions include claims involving alimony, child support, mortgages or traffic fine disputes. In addition, the person you are suing must either be a Florida resident or have had sufficient contacts with the state that will permit Florida to exercise jurisdiction.

Within two months of filing your suit, your case will be heard by a mediator at a pretrial conference. Depending on how the pretrial conference goes, your case will proceed and be resolved through mediation, default judgment, or trial.

Mediation
Mediation allows you (“the plaintiff”) and the person you are suing (“the defendant”) to attempt to resolve the matter with the assistance of an expert mediator who will seek a settlement acceptable and beneficial to both parties. Mediation takes place in a conference room, and if successful, no further court appearances are necessary.

Going to Trial
If neither the pretrial conference nor mediation resolves your legal dispute, the case will be set for trial. Usually there is not a jury, but you may request one. During the final hearing, you present the evidence that supports your position. Such evidence may be in the form of live witnesses, written documents such as contracts, or any other form the judge deems relevant and permissible.

Serving a Summons
To get the person you are suing to appear before the court, you have to serve him or her with a summons. The summons can be served by the sheriff for a fee of $20, or by registered mail. However, the defendant is not required to accept the registered mail by signing the green registered mail receipt. So, if you’re concerned that the person will not accept the letter via registered mail, you may want to have the sheriff serve the summons on the defendant in person.

Filing Fees

The other expense associated with filing a claim in small claims court is the filing fee. The schedule of filing fees is as follows:
Less than $100 is $32.50
$100-$999.99 is $78.00
$1,000-$1,499.99 is $88.00
$1,500-$2,500 is $105.00
$2500.01-$5,000 is $126.50

Forms Packages
You can obtain a forms package at any of the locations below. Furthermore, they are also available at http://www.clerk.co.brevard.fl.us/pa...lmformfill.htm. Your claim must be filed at the correct location within the county in which the claim arose.

Melbourne Courthouse
50 S. Nieman Ave.
Melbourne, FL 32901
(321) 952-4617

Old 09-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Well thats sums it all up nicley, here in Cali the filing fee is fixed at $32 and then $20 for the sheriff to get them served (they have to be served by hand), we also have no mediation before trial we just go straight to court once we file with the court house, but before the court date approaches, the papers have to be served I think 10 days before so that the person your serving has sufficient time to either postpone the date for mitigating reasons or contact you and resolve the matter, which means the case will not go to court.
When serving someone with the summons to go to court you have to make sure you serve the correct people ie. I served one guy who had no job or money but I also served his wife and she is the one who had to pay the fine, if I had just served him, I would have never got paid.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Same kinda thing happened to me. I had just gotten my car back(back when I drove a 2K Civic Si) from the shop (got a body kit put on and mods) and I was rear ended by a girl with no insurance. I had to pay $500 to get my car fixed and she didn't even get a ticket!

Last edited by 007G35; 09-30-2005 at 02:52 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crashed, Help me please.