G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 vs. Lexus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 vs. Lexus

You won't get a flame from me. Lexus' reputation as a solid car maker with excellent service from their dealers is a fact as far as I'm concerned. Compare a Lexus with the problems and expense of Bimmers, Mercs and Porsche and Lexus will come out on top. And I also agree that it has a very nice body, especially with the top down, it's one of the best looking roadsters with the top down.

It's very interesting reading the reviews of the SC430 on the Edmunds site. The owners all rate it 9.5 or above and since they're comparing it with the Merc SL series, which is even more expensive, they actually say "best bang for the buck in its class" !!! LOL! And the sound system and NAV is supposed to be the very best.

And like Mani says, it's mostly older guys who just aren't into sports cars. They're welcome to it. Maybe when I'm like 60 I'll like it, but I hope I don't reach that point!

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Old 07-15-2003, 02:34 AM

forget the sc430
why?
no manual

-moooooo

Old 07-15-2003, 03:05 AM

Damn these things are FUGLY.. I mean just LOOK AT IT...

Looks like someone took a dump on it and the back dropped...

Damn what a waste of change.. Even if they were the same price I'd still pic the G over the SC... I mean maybe if I was 80 years old and almost dead I wouldn't mind cruising in it like the other SC Driver's in my neighborhood.. but look at it.. Even the rims are FUGLY...

At the rate lexus is going with car's Hyandai (spelling) is gonna own them in the future just on looks !!!

As for the inside.. umm sure it's nice but that's too GRANDMA and GRANDPAISH for me.. The interior looks SPORTY in the coupe.. Black leather with a titanium center... Hell that's all I need. Oh and IN DASH 6 CD Player with CHANGER on the stearing wheel... That's all I need to keep me happy... I swear if I ever got one of those car's you might as well stick me in a old folk home at the age of 30 cuz that's how I'd feel and I'm sure most of you would feel too in those cars.. blah wood grain.... who needs it..

Hell I'd even chose a 3 Series BMW or almost ANY new mercedies (accept for that FUGLY **** one little bow wow has) over a Lexus... Lexus needs a better marketing strategy... or needs to get off there ***'s and fire whoever is designing the future of their vehicles.. .cuz it's all going kaplunk.. I bet they have some 70 year old guy designing cars... probably not but has the imagination of a 70 year old.. .blah

My G ownz the SC430 on looks...

G35 Mafia Member # 01

Old 07-15-2003, 11:59 AM

I don't see how you guys can say it's so ugly when from the front it has a definite resemblance to the the G35, and even the profile is somewhat similar to a 350Z. I'm not crazy about the rear end, and it does look a little out of proportion with the top up. But with the top down it's a pretty sharp looking car. I would complain if somebody gave me one, that's for sure. I'd never buy one though because 2-seaters are way too impractical, I'm more of a sedan guy.

Jeff Kohn
H-Town, TX
2003.5 Automatic Sedan, Desert Platinum/Willow, Premium, Nav, Tint

Old 07-15-2003, 02:06 PM

"I don't see how you guys can say it's so ugly when from the front it has a definite resemblance to the the G35, and even the profile is somewhat similar to a 350Z. I'm not crazy about the rear end, and it does look a little out of proportion with the top up. But with the top down it's a pretty sharp looking car. "

It's always in the eye of the beholder, but on the other hand, I think it was Michaelangelo who said "God is in the details".

While I agree that the SC looks a lot like the G35C in some respects, it's all bass-ackwards in it's proportional balance. All one has to do to spoil a work of art is mess up a few details and it can go from inspiring to nauseating. The similarity/difference between the G35C and SC430 is a perfect example of that IMHO.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:38 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

the reason why its fugly is because the rear is so long, basically they had to make it with a trunk because it appeals to that crowd that plays golf, with a hardtop roadster, there is not trunk space, so they added some. I would still prefer the SL500 roadster ANYDAY over the SC430!

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/Grounding Kit

Old 07-15-2003, 04:04 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My thoughts on the SC: It's a good car for old dudes going through their midlife crises craving a car that coddles them and gets attention. One thing I noticed: I have never seen more unusable rear "seats" on any car.

<hr></blockquote>
Oh, I dunno about that - you ever seen the rear seats in a Jaguar XK8? If the front seats are moved back to the point that a normal sized adult is comfortable in the front, the rear seat leg room is exactly ZERO inches!! NONE!! The seats themselves are only about 6" deep, too... LOL

As for the the SC430, I have to agree with Shelley, Mani, and BMW3toG35C - there simply is no comparison. Looks wise, I think it's not nearly as clean and refined looking as the G, convertible or not. Besides, I could own my G35 AND a nice Jeep Wrangler as a beater for easily the same price as the Lexus - so why bother?

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 07-15-2003, 04:25 PM

I'm surprised people haven't mentioned that the SC is SLOWER than the G.

I believe (this is from memory) that the SC posted a time of 6.2 sec while the G is around 5.8 (from Motor Trend).

I also think that most people who shopped for their G did not even consider the Lexus. Due to this reason alone, the two cars should probably not be directly compared to each other.

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded

Old 07-15-2003, 05:02 PM

can you believe the lexus still uses a metal antenna.....kinda tacky

Old 07-15-2003, 05:35 PM

wtf is wrong with all of you people. People who are shopping for a [censored] g35c aren't in the market for a sc430 because why? they cant afford it!! People buying the sc430 arent looking at its performance, they are looking at the luxury part and the ride as do people shopping for lets say an S class. Since most of you have never been in one, you can't make a fair comparison. i have a g35c and my brother has a sc430 ( he is 24, for all of you [censored] heads who say the car is for old men) and the car is amazing. Very refined and rides beautifully. The interior is very high class much better than what Infiniti has to offer. The g35c is a 35,000 car and the sc430 is a 70,000 car. Why you guys are comparing it is beyond me.

Old 07-15-2003, 05:44 PM

Somebody's got their panties in a bunch. Calm down junior. Some people take cars waay to personally.

If I'm 24 and I pay 70k for a nice interior and a boatlike ride, please...someone shoot me.

Old 07-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"wtf is wrong with all of you people. People who are shopping for a [censored] g35c aren't in the market for a sc430 because why? they cant afford it!! "

What!? Did the scews just fall out of your head? I have a coupe and let me assure you, I could easily afford any car under 90k. I just choose not to extend myself for something i don't really need. I didn't reach that financial level by spending excessive amounts of money on things i don't really need. The coupe will get me around just fine and is a very nice car. If I wanted a Lex bad enough, i would be driving it. Period. Don't make statements like that if you don't know what your talking about.

Having said that, the Lex is a very nice car and probably worth the 65k. A folding hardtop convertible is just in a different class of vehicles.

6MT red/willow, premium, aero

Old 07-15-2003, 05:58 PM

A friend of mine has an '02 SC430. I think the front is very much like the G's front end in many respects. My friend initially thought I had drove up in one when I was in my G. It's almost flattering since it is a very nice car as well. However, the cars are very different.

The back seats do remind me of old Porsche 944's seats. They are only there for insurance purposes or to put groceries. The trunk is quite large and the ride is very nice. It's almost too smooth -- it's more floaty than fiece when trying to zip around corners. I just don't get the thrill in the car that I do with my G. If I had to take a long road trip, the Lexus definitely would be a better choice if you want a cushy ride there.

My BIG complaint just came up -- take a peek at the 2004 Camry Solara and tell me if Toyota did not make a grand mistake by giving it the SC 430's back end. Although somewhat odd (hit or miss if people liked it), it was a distintctive back. Now, with the Solara nearly sharing it, I feel it really cheapens the car. This is one reason Infiniti is making sure that their cars are not the same as the US Nissans (dealer said this, so may take with a grain of salt). I would be horrified that a 20k$ Camry Solara was almost identical to my 65k$+ SC430. I can forgive a V6 Camry and an ES300 since their prices are nearly on-par, but I really wish Toyota would've left this one alone.

Here are pics if anyone wants to take a peek (hope this works since I'm still new here):

http://www.carsontoyota.com/html/sol...4pictures.html

!!Jonason!!

Old 07-15-2003, 06:13 PM

Damn, that's an SC430 back. They did screw up with their decision.

I guess the solara is supposed to compete with the Z350???

Old 07-15-2003, 06:49 PM

I took a look when I was ready to get the G35 coupe. The cost was about double and while I like the convertible, the back seat of the Lexus is useless. For the money, the G35 coupe is the best car out there bar none.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. Lexus