G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 vs. Lexus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:07 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 vs. Lexus

I have noted all of the comparisons on this forum of various cars. To me the closest car to the G35 coupe seems to be its Lexus counter part, the SC430. I was wondering how they compare?.
I know the SC430 costs about double a G35 and has a V8. But I suspect it is more of a tourer than a sports car.

Old 07-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 vs. Lexus

I think it's automatic only...

Old 07-14-2003, 03:29 PM

I think it's worth comparing them just because they're coupes, with the understanding that cost-wise there's no comparison, just to understand both cars better.

From what I've seen and read, the Lexus does not give you a sport ride at all. No fun on the twisties! It's for people who commute to work and want to feel cosseted and comfortable.

Even though it's a V8, the power isn't that much greater than the G. HP is 300 at 5600 and torque is 325 at 3400 which must make at least accelerating fun. curb weight is 3840 and gross weight is 4530.

The back seat is ridiculous! It's just a shelf. And no storage space in the back because of how the convertible comes down.

To me the car just screams "I can afford a car that does nothing but show off how much money I have." It's a nice second car for driving to work but you'd need something else for longer trips, suitcases and golf clubs.

Even if I could spend that much money on a car, I wouldn't spend it on a coupe that rides like a sedan, that's for sure!

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Old 07-14-2003, 03:39 PM

My thoughts on the SC: It's a good car for old dudes going through their midlife crises craving a car that coddles them and gets attention. One thing I noticed: I have never seen more unusable rear "seats" on any car.

Old 07-14-2003, 04:54 PM

In addition to agreeing with what Shelleycat and Mani said, I'd also add that for my $.02 the current SC430 is just BUTT UGLY. It has terrible porportions; the body is bulbous, bottom heavy and has way too much bulk vs cockpit size. The top is very weak and thin looking, further emphasizing the imbalance of proportions. I think it's one of the ugliest cars being made right now, perhaps topped (bottomed?) only by the Pontiac Aztek (unless that one's already been mercy-killed).

I drove a previous-generation SC300 5 speed when I was shopping for a car in 1998 (I ended up buying a '95 BMW 325is). I thought it looked pretty cool, and with the 5 speed it seemed to have some sports/GT car bragging rights, but the driving experience revealed it to be just a pretender. The handling dynamics were right out of the Camry playbook and the drivetrain had a very indirect, un-sports car-like feel. It was a GT car poser at best, targeted for people who'd never know what they were missing. The new model seems even more so. Much more so, actually.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:34 PM

Oh my gosh someone actually posted this before I was thinking about posting it... So far I have ran into about 7+ people that have THOUGHT my car was a SC430 !!!! I'm 21 and this guy was like nice Lexo... how much they run for again? 60, 70 thou? and how did I afford it? I'm like no FREAKIN WAY man my car is WAAAAAY NICER then the SC430... because the SC's back looks all FUNKED UP.. that's the only part of the car I don't like... Other then that it looks nice but it seems EVERYONE I meet thinks or assumes it's a SC430 !!! I was going to post something like this that involved that car, but didn't think others would actually compare the two...lol..........

10 G35 Driver POINTS FOR GSG !!!!!

G35 Mafia Member # 01

Old 07-14-2003, 05:53 PM

The SC430 has to be one of the FUGLIEST cars ever! Which, is a shame because the SC300 and SC400 were great looking cars, IMHO.

The G35 is definitely more of a sports car the the Lexus more of a luxury ride.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:24 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm glad someone understood one of my reasons for asking this!
The G35 and SC430 (to me) look similar in the front - that is probably why people are asking you if your car is a Lexus!! Nobodys going to mistake it for BMW!!!

Old 07-14-2003, 06:42 PM

I almost bought an SC430 before my G3gc. I changed my mind right before signing the papers. I had to test drive it three times to convince myself I wanted it. I kept asking myself, why am I not more excited about getting this car? It only took one drive in the G35c and I was sold.

Basically, it's like the other Lexus cars, uneventful. The G35c is more passionate at half the price. So it depends what you like. It was a no brainier for me.

"Some people see thing as they are and ask WHY? I dream of things that never were and ask WHY NOT?"

Old 07-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a big price difference between the SC430 and G35 - I'm surprised you were even looking at an SC430.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 07-14-2003, 07:18 PM

actualy the closes counter part of the g35 sedan is the lexus gs430, my brothers car, a nice soft ride and has some kick when you punch it

Old 07-14-2003, 10:28 PM

I'd take the SC430 before the G35 coupe anyday of the week if they were the same price. Unlike most people here, I really like the body style. I think it looks much more like a 350Z then a G35 though. As for the back seat, at least they offer some eventhough they are small. Not good for a long trip but perfect for driving to or from a restaurant.

Also, I know I'll get flame for this, but personally I think (and so is everyone I know) that the Lexus brand name is so much more luxurious and reputable than Infiniti. If you don't believe me, ask yourself this, before the G35 came out, would you have even considered purchasing an Infiniti? Personally, NO. Lexus is a proven name right behind Mercedes and BMW. Infiniti has just started to go up with its G35 and FX line-up but is still way behind. Just look at the interior, Infinti has a long way to go before they can be as luxurious as Lexus. Of course, that is only a personnal opinion and no one has to agree with me. I love the G35 coupe but price for price, I'd take a Lexus. Anyways, these cars are in two different leagues as some other has mention before me. OK, I'm putting my flaming suit on now hehehe.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:58 PM

I don't agree on the SC430 specifically but I don't think that many people will disagree on Lexus' reputation. They are definitely more of a premier make than Infiniti - their service, reliability, fit-and-finish, and quality are all -bar none- the best.

My problem is, they just don't make inspiring enough cars for me. The IS is fun but gutless. The ES is floaty and boring. The SC and LS are old-people cars...the LS is a boat, and the SC's performance is dismal considering its price. The GS is nice but lacks the driving enjoyment of a G or a BMW - and the damn thing doesn't even offer a manual. There's a reason toyota feels as though they are losing out on the 18-30 yr old market - it's because they make for the most part, old peoples' cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. Lexus