G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clutch pedal did not release, stuck, and burned some on first gear.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch pedal did not release, stuck, and burned some on first gear.

OK Ok, I did a search on this problem and found 3 relevant threads but without conclusion nor helpful info as to what caused it and what the problem may be....so here I am hoping that someone may have new info or any insight to help me out.

I was driving my '05 6MT coupe yesterday (17,000km or 10,600miles on it), the car in front of me suddenly stopped at green light without left turning signal, I got little irritated as I got stuck behind him so honked , he gave me back a finger (this happens a lot where I live, bad drivers), so when he cleared, I revved it a bit, may be up to 3500rpm or so and released the clutch pedal as usual giving the gas, (at this point my left foot was off the clutch and on the foot rest) the rpm suddendly shot up and noticed that the clutch pedal was stuck depressed. The car rolled up 6' but would not go. I let go of the gas pedal and about 3 seconds later, the clutch pedal finally released back to normal position. Gave that aweful burning clutch smell.
I tried to reproduce this same problem at an empty parking lot a couple of time that night without success.

Is this a common problem with '05 6MT coupe (sport pkg)?

I am worried that if this is a potential problem with our '05 6mt, that it may happen in the middle of intersection or in an emergency situation, that one would be a sitting duck...

Any insightful information, updated information or explanation would be appreciated.

I just had my car serviced last week but I will take it to Infiniti dealership...but from my experience, more often than not they don't have good answers on uncommon problems.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Old 10-10-2005, 03:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by スカイライン
OK Ok, I did a search on this problem and found 3 relevant threads but without conclusion nor helpful info as to what caused it and what the problem may be....so here I am hoping that someone may have new info or any insight to help me out.

I was driving my '05 6MT coupe yesterday (17,000km or 10,600miles on it), the car in front of me suddenly stopped at green light without left turning signal, I got little irritated as I got stuck behind him so honked , he gave me back a finger (this happens a lot where I live, bad drivers), so when he cleared, I revved it a bit, may be up to 3500rpm or so and released the clutch pedal as usual giving the gas, (at this point my left foot was off the clutch and on the foot rest) the rpm suddendly shot up and noticed that the clutch pedal was stuck depressed. The car rolled up 6' but would not go. I let go of the gas pedal and about 3 seconds later, the clutch pedal finally released back to normal position. Gave that aweful burning clutch smell.
I tried to reproduce this same problem at an empty parking lot a couple of time that night without success.

Is this a common problem with '05 6MT coupe (sport pkg)?

I am worried that if this is a potential problem with our '05 6mt, that it may happen in the middle of intersection or in an emergency situation, that one would be a sitting duck...

Any insightful information, updated information or explanation would be appreciated.

I just had my car serviced last week but I will take it to Infiniti dealership...but from my experience, more often than not they don't have good answers on uncommon problems.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Hmm. I've been on this forum and all of a sudden I read "Is this a common problem...". If it even happens to 20 people, this isn't a common problem. Although, if I read 20 people having this problem and then suing because they got into an accident, then it is a bad problem. Rumors start like this. Now, that being said, I have never heard of anything like this happening. It hasn't happened to me either. I have about 3300 miles (so, it's still kinda new).

Old 10-10-2005, 03:22 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
happens on all the 05s.... clutch wont catch if you drop it at high rpms.. just gotta learn to feather it a bit..

if you want to reproduce the problem rev up to 4k rpm and drop the clutch + gas at the same time.. your car will roll forward slowly.. your engine will be at 6k RPM and you'll be wondering why ur not going while getting high off clutch smoke

Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 AM
dp1
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Hmm. I've been on this forum and all of a sudden I read "Is this a common problem...". If it even happens to 20 people, this isn't a common problem. Although, if I read 20 people having this problem and then suing because they got into an accident, then it is a bad problem. Rumors start like this. Now, that being said, I have never heard of anything like this happening. It hasn't happened to me either. I have about 3300 miles (so, it's still kinda new).
Exact same thing happened to me a few months ago, and I have about 17,000 miles on mine. BTW I have an 03.

Last edited by dp1; 10-10-2005 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exact same thing happened to me.. my car and garage smelled for 3 days.

i think the '05's have an "adaptive" clutch, and thats whats doing it...

Old 10-10-2005, 03:33 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
if u wana do a nice burn out you start off at 2k RPM and as you let out the clutch rev up and full throttle.. you'll catch and do a nice peel out.. just work the clutch and throttle

Old 10-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
happens on all the 05s.... clutch wont catch if you drop it at high rpms.. just gotta learn to feather it a bit..

if you want to reproduce the problem rev up to 4k rpm and drop the clutch + gas at the same time.. your car will roll forward slowly.. your engine will be at 6k RPM and you'll be wondering why ur not going while getting high off clutch smoke
Really!! Yeh, I can work on the pedal work to avoid it I guess, but if so, this is a shi..y and potentially a dangerous problem to have on such a sporty car equipped somewhat for performance. Doesn't it happen on the 03 or 04? if so why only 05? did the transmission/clutch parts change on 05 to affect this?

Old 10-10-2005, 04:15 AM
i noticed this problem when i played around with downshifting at speed. instead of "bliping" the throttle, letting off and getting on the gas again, i tried flooring the gas while pressing the clutch and just continuing to hold the gas after the new gear is engaged. Well, what would happen is the clutch would seem to get stuck and the engine would over rev, although i didn't notice the clutch smell. So now i just blip the throttle, get off the gass, and get back on. it takes a little longer but it doesn't freak me out like a stuck clutch.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
well if you want performance you probably do not want the clutch to enguage at that RPM anyways.. you're gona get nothing but alot of smoke lol. I believe the clutch changed for the G every year

Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Hmm....I think we are all getting confused here. He said his clutch PEDAL was stuck. All of you guys that had this problem? Your clutch pedal was stuck? What I'm reading from all the replies indicates that the clutch doesn't catch immediately once you rev it up high and relase the clutch pedal. I think we have two different things going on here.

As for me, I do noticed that when I rev high and "drop the clutch" or releasing the clutch pedal really fast that the clutch (or whatever it is) doesn't engage immediatly if I am still gasing it. If I drop the clutch and just let it catch, it never does this. I had this same thing on other cars too and not just the G. I think I read somewhere if you turn VDC off, it won't do this. I'm not sure though.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow . . . Haven't encountered this issue, as of yet. That's got to be an erie feeling when your clutch doesn't re-engage and the rpm's race upwards.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by andy2434
Wow . . . Haven't encountered this issue, as of yet. That's got to be an erie feeling when your clutch doesn't re-engage and the rpm's race upwards.
Yeah, agree. Glad it doesn't happen to me. I would hate it if that happens to me: going in traffic or on a freeway and shifting and you noticed your car not going any fastter but your RPM rises or all of a sudden the clutch pedal gets stuck and it keeps rev'ing. I never heard of this so I'm guessing it can't be that bad or common.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM
I've had the exact same problem. I can also reproduce (although I do my best not to).

Took it in to the dealer. They removed the clutch inspection plate and didn't see any damage. Just some evidence that it was heated up a bit.

I'd revved to higher RPM's, dumped the clutch....it works fine. I do it again, the pedal will sit on the floor, car will rev, car won't move, then you smell the clutch for some time.

Anyway, it is a design concern/advantage. Either way, it's lame. My buddy's SC'd xterra has such a smooth clutch, not sure why mine is so different.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM
i have the same problem with my 05 clutch. It was a first for me. I was driving at night on the freeway for a good 15 min straight and didnt even notice the clutch was stuck because the RPM was stable in 6th gear. RIght when i was about to exit and change gear i was like WTF!... then i finally took notice... i had to put my feet under the clutch to pop it back up. TOOK it the dealer and like you said they couldnt replicate the problem. Happen to me again but by the time i took it the dealer once again. same ****. no answer. THIS SUCKS!

Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 PM
This sounds more like the Clutch Pedal than the clutch itself. Hmm. I guess I'm glad I don't floor my pedal. *shrugs*

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal did not release, stuck, and burned some on first gear.