G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bouncing at Launch, traction issue or mechanical??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bouncing at Launch, traction issue or mechanical??

I don't do launch nor drive agressively very often but recently I was purposely doing it on an emply parking lot at night to reproduce a differenet problem/situation that I encountered with my car.

Basically, I was trying to spin the tires out of hole for about 2-3 secs going straight.

Well, when I tried it, the wheels wouldn't spin smoothly with a charp, but bounced like "dadadadadada" before they settled into the grip. (no smell of burning clutch though)

Is this a traction issue (tires and type of pavement)? or clutch/flywheel/transmission issue?
If not engaging the clutch properly, does it slip?

I had the same problem with my old civic 10 years ago, but I dismissed it as not having enough power to cleanly spin off the road.
But our G have 298hp so.....

Pls adv Thanks in advance.
Bob

Old 10-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was the VDC engaged?

Old 10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Vic
that is called wheel hop..

Old 10-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by andy2434
Was the VDC engaged?
Nope, VDC was off!

Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Vic
that is called wheel hop..
Wheel hop?!
Cud you let me know what causes this? traction/tires/pavement or clutch/flywheel/transmission or....

Just trying to figure out if I have problem with my car or/and to better understand it.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wheel hop
An undesirable suspension characteristic in which a wheel (or several) moves up and down so violently that it actually leaves the ground. Wheel hop can be caused by many problems, including excessive unsprung weight, insufficient shock damping, or poor torsional axle control.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....icle_id=4534#w

Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
leave the poor car alone =(

but yeah +1 on the wheel hop if u want a good luanch u gotta work the clutch and the throttle a bit for our cars.. the stockers come with nice tires tho

Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Cryhavoc,
thanks for the definition, understood that it has nothing to do with clutch/transmission, but caused by the combination of weight movement between front and back tires at launch and traction of driving tires.

Klumzyee,
yah, I take a good care of my G, just wanting to know more about her!! It's all lovin!!

Old 10-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Wheel hop is a combination of suspension design, tires, wheel weight, shocks, and even pavement coeffecient of friction. Most Independent rear suspension cars suffer from some wheel hop. That being said, please do not allow your car to hop much, if at all. Wheel hop is very abusive to the driveline. Immense shock loading occurs with every individual hop and that is very abusive to all the rear end components. For example, the 3rd generation RX7 has a strong enough rear to push the car into the low 11's no sweat. Allow a stock RX to wheel hop a lot and it will estroy the rear end in short order.
Bottom line, avoid wheel hop

Old 10-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Wheel Hop

I hate wheel hop. It mostly happens to the FWD cars, RWD can get it too. It's when you're inbetween grip and spin to my understanding. Next time give it full/more throttle and I bet you will spin smoothly.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My G has it too.

For some reason, not all of the Gs have this problem.

Sometimes it can be fixed by changing suspension bushings. Stock rubber bushings have too much deflections. A change to urethane bushings may help it.

I haven't done anything to try to overcome it yet, but it really sucks!!! especially when it happens in the rain.

For some reason, it only hops in 1st gear. If I spin the tires hard in 2nd (in the rain) at speed, there is no hop. If they spin off the line or from a roll in 1st, it hops.

It is not an issue of not enough power, because it happens with the use of nitrous too.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Could this have anything to do with the LSD?

Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by QuadCam
My G has it too.

For some reason, not all of the Gs have this problem.

Sometimes it can be fixed by changing suspension bushings. Stock rubber bushings have too much deflections. A change to urethane bushings may help it.

I haven't done anything to try to overcome it yet, but it really sucks!!! especially when it happens in the rain.

For some reason, it only hops in 1st gear. If I spin the tires hard in 2nd (in the rain) at speed, there is no hop. If they spin off the line or from a roll in 1st, it hops.

It is not an issue of not enough power, because it happens with the use of nitrous too.
Your tires have too much grip with the pavement at the rate they spin in 1st gear. In 2nd gear they are able to spin much faster, hence no grip and no hop. I'm able to spin in 1st with no hop, given I give it more than enough gas. Type of pavement has a lot to do with it I'm sure.

Last edited by TheKnite; 10-11-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ39
Could this have anything to do with the LSD?
It very well could have alot to do with it.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by スカイライン
Wheel hop?!
Cud you let me know what causes this? traction/tires/pavement or clutch/flywheel/transmission or....

Just trying to figure out if I have problem with my car or/and to better understand it.
Wheel hop man.....not much you can do except firm up the rear suspension, but that will cost you your reasonably smooth ride.
C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bouncing at Launch, traction issue or mechanical??