G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

AT Vs Stick. (Again) Who would win in a race?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wut does year have to do anything btw.
i think he meant that changes in interior and other lil stuff add up another 50 hp.
sure...it's just like type R sticker on honda cars that give you mad hp...i am feeling ya...

Old 10-13-2005, 02:32 PM
i got an 05 auto with everything but navi, my buddy got 04 stick with brembos..
im pretty sure the horsepower is about the same between 05 auto and 04 stick, well when we went, he took me on the shifts, since he has a better ratio, i think.. he has 6 gears i got 5 so my gears are longer..

Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 PM
yea im Player's buddy and yea i kicked his ***!! hahaha... i couldnt land 5th that night somthin was wrong.... race me now and ill give u a car length and ill still kick ur a**... hahaha.... i also changed my shifting technique.... and my car is i guess more broken in i was raced him wen i had like 3000 miles..... ur going down Player!!!!

Old 10-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by BlackG35th
yea im Player's buddy and yea i kicked his ***!! hahaha... i couldnt land 5th that night somthin was wrong.... race me now and ill give u a car length and ill still kick ur a**... hahaha.... i also changed my shifting technique.... and my car is i guess more broken in i was raced him wen i had like 3000 miles..... ur going down Player!!!!
its on when im back in jersey

Old 10-13-2005, 02:58 PM
hahaha..... Yes!!! ur goin down!!!! yo jeff uploaded the vid or u and louis racing from a dig!! he was like stock wrx v.s. g35, i was like yo we kno that he did stuff to his car and tha g was stock... buhh dont worry wen u left i beat louis for ya... and i also took his money.... +1 for tha g35erzZz... also there is some kid around here thats a sophmore or jr in high school and thinks hes gona beat jeff, HAHAHA... yo btw wen u get here i think i wanna go to ur dude for tints... ill talk to u about it... yo i once heard tints give u like 578hp at the wheels, hahah jp everone knos it 577!!!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:34 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
One G automatic, other 6 M/T, but otherwise exact same rides, exact same hp, exact same drivers (abilities), exact same conditions...........the M/T car has the mathematical advantage in gear ratios both in the transmission and in the rear end.

BUT, as you've heard, there are so many variables that it's impossible to say who would win in a real race.

Generally speaking, from what I've seen, the manual G's are a few tenths quicker than their Automatic counterparts.

.....and oh yeah, find out the answer at the track, not on the street.
Be safe.

C.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:37 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

the one with FI!

Old 10-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sumlime311
it depends on what year you are talking about. but the AT tranny changes gears much faster than a person could change gears in a MT

I dont know whether to excessivley use this smiley face:
this one:
or this one:

There is no way in hell an automatic transmission (STOCK, no valve body work, no higher stall) could POSSIBLY keep up in shifting with an experience MT driver. The BMW SMGII claims to be faster than "any" manual driver, capable of shifting in .7 of a second. I'm sorry again, but powershifting, I'll bet my house, my car, my girls car and my doggy hauling suv that I can match if not better that.

Actually, I think I found the perfect smiley for that comment.....

Old 10-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Finiti35
Congrats on making the dumbest post of the day. Maybe you read something about the BMW SMG transmission and you're now confusing it with the 5AT in the G?

Btw an 05 6MT isn't faster than an 03/04 in the 1/4 mile.
Yes, and the 03-04's isn't faster than the 05's either. I've been on these forums for over 3 months and I'm still amazed at all the comparisons between our cars. Stock, all our cars are the same pretty much. It's all a driver's race. Doesn't matter from year to year, car to car. Funny thing too, you'll be hard pressed to find Stock Gs anyways. The moment we get it, we are all thinking about modding it. Be it CAI, Exhausts, Plenums, Spacers, etc. so there aren't really stocks out there. Hell, even just swapping out the intakes with different makers alone will make a difference (so I've heard). Anyways, let's just say we all enjoy our cars (Maybe not Finiti35 as she is secretly dreaming of coming back to this forum and when she gets her M3 and rubbing our noses in her exhaust fumes ) and we should be happy we have nice cars to even talk about

Old 10-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"AT Vs Stick. (Again) Who would win in a race?"

Question too broad~ Let's break it down:

Vehicle Question;
AT vs MT car, which one is faster?
Answer: MT car is faster

Driver Question:
AT vs MT driver, which one is a better driver?
Answer: Given that all MT drivers know how to drive AT, but not all AT drivers know how to drive MT, the answer would have to be - MT driver is usually the better driver.
(Of course, there are some exceptions, that's why the above notion "usually" instead of "always)

Summary: If you want performance and driving involvement - get a stick. If you like convinience or don't have a clue how to handle the clutch - get the automatic.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:17 PM
okay, prove me wrong, but there's no way an auto would beat a stick, unless the stick driver suxs at driving a stick.
and secondly, the 05 is much faster than the 04 in theory (more HP), but that depends on the driver driving the car. if it's auto, there's no comparison, 05 is definitely faster, but if it's 6MT, then it's driver dependant.
if you're around here, i'll race ya

Old 10-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i feel ignored lol

IMO the MT and AT would run even against each other.. now if we can get some decent drivers.. however the MT might win if the guy gets a good launch and just keeps his foot down on the gas and shifts into gear without the clutch but in that condition you better be racing for slips cause your car sure as hell wont be too happy after the race..

an AT can time the shifts to shift at red line everytime.. a MT can screw up more then a AT but MT can shift faster on a straight line.. now take it into a tracks the PCM's adjustment and enguagement of the clutch (EX: BMW's SMG) would out perform a MT driver (IMO).

this is turning into the m3 forums.. SMG VS MT x.x

Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 PM
You can teach a donkey to drive an automatic car. 2 pedals and hold on to a big wheel. Since when has driving been all about driving the fastest in a straight line? If you put one skilled driver on a road course with decent turns give him a few runs in a MT equipped car. Then have him go around in an AT,I am willing to bet he will have better lap times with the MT.

Slushboxes aren't for me. I like to actaully have control of my car thank you very much.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:56 PM
haha Go Pete NJ btw im from bergen county too..... wens the next meet by us? u ever go up to spring valley? Ave P newark? pm me

Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G

the one with FI!
Amen!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AT Vs Stick. (Again) Who would win in a race?