G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

AT Vs Stick. (Again) Who would win in a race?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If an AT upgraded his VB and changed his final drive to 3.5, will he be able to keep up with an manual?

Old 10-13-2005, 10:00 PM
any AT can keep up with a MT.. its just a matter of how experienced the MT driver is. A very experienced MT driver would be able to just beat the AT. An average driver would be able to keep up with the AT .. a horrible driver would lose to the AT .. but not by much.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:35 PM
This topic has been discussed to death. Do a search

Old 11-05-2005, 09:30 AM
I am by no means an amazing driver, but my 04 6mt is considerably quicker than my friends 05 AT.... hope this helps

Old 11-05-2005, 09:36 AM
seriously, why you wanna make a thread like this one if there are 10000 threads? do a search for god's sake.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by EX-250
I dont know whether to excessivley use this smiley face:
this one:
or this one:

There is no way in hell an automatic transmission (STOCK, no valve body work, no higher stall) could POSSIBLY keep up in shifting with an experience MT driver. The BMW SMGII claims to be faster than "any" manual driver, capable of shifting in .7 of a second. I'm sorry again, but powershifting, I'll bet my house, my car, my girls car and my doggy hauling suv that I can match if not better that.

Actually, I think I found the perfect smiley for that comment.....
If you bet you can shift faster than an SMG2, you ARE going to lose your house, your car, your girls car, and your SUV - because you made a mistake thinkng the SMG2 shifts in 0.7 seconds, while it does it in 0.07 seconds, faster than a Ferrari. Even the Z4 SMG shifts in less than 0.3 seconds.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Stop arguing guys, we are family no matter if you have AT or MT LOL

Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple way to look at it - can't argue

If you're looking at off the lot stock versions of both
1 - On paper - the MT wins - more horsepower, better gears, more efficient
drivetrain.

2 - Driver-based - An AT could beat the MT if the MT messes up a shift, launch, etc. If they both launch perfectly and shift perfectly, the MT should win based on #1 above.

If the two cars are modded
1 - Virtually no way to judge without applying the rules of the above, assuming identical mods.

2 - With 3.5 gears and TC, the AT could win - if the driver knows what their doing - otherwise it will likely be a very even race. Again, if equal skill in driving is applied - perfect situations on both sides - a very even race - within 1 car length.

3 - With 3.9 gears and TC, the AT should take the race. The additional HP in the MT would likely not make up for the AT's 1st two gears advances. Though, the MT could take the lead at the top when the AT shifts into 4th with about 250 feet to go in the 1/4.

Other than the above - I can't see any other way to analyze this - rationally or not. Once you mod the cars - it all goes out the window.

Here's a list of most of my mods - tell me when there can be an even description and analysis...it all comes down to the drivers and the street - bottom line. Well then - money happens to play here pretty well too.

05 Coupe/Auto/Ivory Pearl/PerfPkg-Aero Kit/OEM 19's - Chromed/Stillen CAI/UR UDP/Borla Exhaust/3.92 Gears/Nismo Cams/Performance Heads/Trans Kit and 3600 Stall Converter/Motordyne 1/2" Spacer with ISO Thermal/JDM Clear Corners/K40 Radar Protection/Hyper White's everywhere possible...more

Old 11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its been proven time and time again that the 6mt in the g35 is superior in terms of speed than a 5at (based on professional publications and drag times). No one has hit 13.9xx with a 5at (bone stock). People have hit it with the 6mt. Also if you believe that all 6mts are faster than their auto counterparts, this is an incorrect statement. The Mercedes 7 speed auto (with a torque converter) produces faster 1/4 times than its 6mt counterpart. Supposedly, the auto shifts faster than any human could and the extra gear really helps the acceleration. Of course Mercedes has a leg up on Infiniti in drivetrain development

Old 11-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by EZZ
Its been proven time and time again that the 6mt in the g35 is superior in terms of speed than a 5at (based on professional publications and drag times). No one has hit 13.9xx with a 5at (bone stock). People have hit it with the 6mt. Also if you believe that all 6mts are faster than their auto counterparts, this is an incorrect statement. The Mercedes 7 speed auto (with a torque converter) produces faster 1/4 times than its 6mt counterpart. Supposedly, the auto shifts faster than any human could and the extra gear really helps the acceleration. Of course Mercedes has a leg up on Infiniti in drivetrain development
I didn't read every post in this thread, but did anybody actually say "all 6mts are faster than their auto counterparts"?

Also - putting a Mercedes in the comparison lineup is absolutely ridiculous. Apples to apples - or apples to watermelons????

Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
I didn't read every post in this thread, but did anybody actually say "all 6mts are faster than their auto counterparts"?

Also - putting a Mercedes in the comparison lineup is absolutely ridiculous. Apples to apples - or apples to watermelons????
This comment:

"There is no way in hell an automatic transmission (STOCK, no valve body work, no higher stall) could POSSIBLY keep up in shifting with an experience MT driver. "

Why is putting merc in the lineup rediculous. The 7 speed auto is available in the C-class (a G35 competitor)

Old 11-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by EZZ
This comment:

"There is no way in hell an automatic transmission (STOCK, no valve body work, no higher stall) could POSSIBLY keep up in shifting with an experience MT driver. "

Why is putting merc in the lineup rediculous. The 7 speed auto is available in the C-class (a G35 competitor)
1 - I'm sorry - you 'quoted' above, and am not sure who you quoted - but it wasn't me - and I never and have never disagreed with that statement to begin with.

2 - We're talking about Infiniti not Mercedes...the thread is about a G35 AT vs. MT...who cares what the Mercedes does and doesn't...we didn't buy Mercedes? If we're all trying to be on-topic...then keep doing so.