G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How has your G35 been reliability wise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can read my 2 year anniversary recap post...

Old 10-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't say much cause I only have 6500 miles, but its great

Old 10-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
I have to say, it's been pretty reliable. Only thing is when the driver side window rolls up, it makes this scratching sound when it is almost to the top. No biggy. Oh, and the stupid BLOSE head unit and the dumb treble resetting (you have to adjust the treble up or down and it will be fine). Yep, love it.

BTW, what the hell is this car?!?!

Current: 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe M6 Sport

- Pete
Its the Canadian version of your 6MT
6MT (w/ 19" wheels, sport suspension etc) = M6 Sport

Old 10-15-2005, 03:56 AM
the JD power reliability rating that you said, is it the "initial" reliability rating? cuz i know JD does that rating for cars that first comes out.. but not on how reliable a car is after 2 or 4 years or longer after the initial purchase!

i mean, Hundai had a higher rating on that initial purchase reliability rating (forgive me for not knowing the exact name for it) than like hondas and toyotas before, but do you really believe in that? u think a hundai can last longer with less problems than a Toyota and Honda? reputation and FACTS are power! i have never heard or experienced any major problems by either of those two companies (toyota and hondas)..thats why they are always been rated and believed to be two of best companies in making reliable cars! i never heard Nissan to be on top of any of the reliability ratings!!

Old 10-15-2005, 06:32 AM
i'm at 16000 mile, and only i've only encountered two problems (that is fixable under warranty): window creakes and key code reconignition failure. Other than that everything is fine.

for sure the motor is really reliable. i drive the hell out of the car, and right now its modded up pretty well and still no sigh of problem

Old 10-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Smithdogg1
Are the G35’s an overall reliable car? I am looking for a vehicle that is reliable, has a nice interior, beautiful exterior but is still quick and sporty to drive. I think a 6 speed G fits the bill perfectly. But I have no heard much reliability wise about them? How has yours been?
If you really want an answer to your question, don't go to some car Board for the answer. Hundreds of thousands of Gs were made and if you are lucky, you may get 20-30 responses here. If you want a serious answer go to some periodical like Consumer reports that collects data from tens of thousands of respondents. Remember even top of the line manufacturers like Porsche produce some cars that have lots of problems. So if I go to Rennlist and read that some guys have multiple problems with their 996s, does that make the 996 a bad car? The G35, especially those made recently, have great quality records. So if you buy a G35 chances are excellent that you will be buying a car that is relatively trouble free, but there are no quality guarantees. The only guarantee that you have is that if you buy a new car, you'll have a warranty that covers quality defects.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
I have had some problems with the sunroof seal sqeaking, though that was fixed with by the dealer under warranty. Recenty my driver side window won't seel all the way when I open then shut the door. All small things that my excellent Infiniti dealer takes care of, plus free loaner cars. Otherwise it has always fired up and ran beautifully. The car still puts a smile on my face everytime I go for a ride. Go for it!

Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by clinty
It's unfair to rate a car's reliability by the masses. Take the corolla and civic as an example. Majority of people who drive corollas are conservative, slow drivers so they are not as hard on them as say drivers of a honda civic. And their reliability rankings reflect this.

I would say that the infiniti is as reliable as any japanese made vehicle. What matters is the level service you get from your dealer.

I agree, well said!

Old 10-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I think reliability and quality are 2 separate things, but a lot of people view them as the same. And I guess there could be different definitions of "reliability." To me, reliability is how often the car gets you from point A to point B without a major mechanical failure that leaves you stranded on the side of the road, or never gets you to your destination for whatever reason. However, some view reliability as how often the car is in the shop for repairs, major mechanical problems or not.

So, with my car, its difficult to say. I have 25k on mine, and its never left me stranded anywhere or fail to get me to my destination on time. From that reliability definition, its been good.

However, its been to the dealer for repairs more times than any other new or used car I've ever owned. Some repairs were minor (rattles, etc.), others were major (transmission replaced). From that reliability definition, its been poor.

Here's a list of the issues I've had with the car:

- Rattles a LOT. Both inside and outside. My car had an annoying rattle in the rear quarter panel that its had since brand new with 7 miles on it. It FINALLY got fixed 2 weeks ago after 5 dealer attempts to fix it. There is also a rattle in the rear view mirror, a nasty CLUNK from the moonroof, and the moonroof seal squeeks constantly unless you lube it regularly. I've also got a rattle on the outside underneath the car when you engage the clutch from a stop - never could be fixed.

- CD player quit working and ate all my CD's. Dealer replaced the whole head unit - never got my CD's back.

- NAV system locked up several times. Dealer applied software upgrade, and fixed.

- Memory seats sometimes lose their memory when accessing the back seat.

- Brakes intermittently squeek when not in use

- Transmission replaced at 19k miles due to "gurgling sound" according to the dealer (sounded like a bad throw out bearing to me, but I wasn't paying for it, so I let them put a new tranny in). Also replaced clutch when tranny was out. Got car back, and it had really bad clutch chatter. Dealer replaced the pressure plate and flywheel next, and it still chattered. Chattering finally going away slowly, but still does it, most noticeable when letting the clutch out from a stop. Rattle from under the car when letting clutch out still there.

I've had absolutely no problems with the engine, other than a random burning oil smell when stopped at a red light, but I can't find anything leaking.

So, in summary, would I say the car has been reliable and of high quality? No. Will it leave you stranded somewhere? Probably not. Is it a nice looking, fun to drive car, and a good value? Definitely!

At least they give you another G35 as a loaner car when the car is in for work. I would probably HATE this car if I had to drive a crappy rental or bum rides from people everytime it's been in the shop. With all the transmission work its had, its been in the shop for a full month combined.

Last edited by Z06ified; 10-27-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
4050 miles and no complaints, 'cept for the scraped lip on my wheel that was my fault of course.

Well, I do wish the fit on everything interior-wise was a little tighter and better thought out. So long as I can isolate and remedy any rattles in the future I'll be cool. But a $40K car should be build like a bank vault IMO.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Occasionaly rattles on mine after 15k but mostly temp dependent and barely audible. Tires are still great and hasn't burned a drop of oil. One of my subwoofer speakers blew but other than that, nothing mechanical has gone wrong. I did get my window motor replaced due to a slight grinding noise and my compression rod has been replaced because it was drifting to the right but those problems were taken care of on the first month I had the car. Other than that, its been very reliable and fun.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:22 PM
This is what you want: http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...sp?StudyID=996

You don't want individual's point of view, but how the car or company stacks up against its peers in the industry. However, it's not that simple either. Infiniti's entire vehicle line-up with the exception of the Q45 is less than 4 years old. In addition, we're talking about an entire new platform, which alot of car makers don't consider changing. They just keep building on top of an existing platform. This could effect the company's ranking considering JD goes back 3 years. We've had alot of new model problems with the G35. Now if you throw the FX, M, and QX into the mix, reliability ranking will go down at first, but climb as the new model problems are fixed. Infiniti is in 6th place despite the new models. None of the car makers that outranked Infiniti as seen a 90% model change since 2002. I see Infiniti rising back to 2nd or 3rd place in 2006 or 2007. We all have to admit that the 2005 G35s don't have nearly as many problems as us 2003 owners have had.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Z06ified
Here's a list of the issues I've had with the car:

- Rattles a LOT. Both inside and outside. My car had an annoying rattle in the rear quarter panel that its had since brand new with 7 miles on it. It FINALLY got fixed 2 weeks ago after 5 dealer attempts to fix it. There is also a rattle in the rear view mirror, a nasty CLUNK from the moonroof, and the moonroof seal squeeks constantly unless you lube it regularly. I've also got a rattle on the outside underneath the car when you engage the clutch from a stop - never could be fixed.

- CD player quit working and ate all my CD's. Dealer replaced the whole head unit - never got my CD's back.

- NAV system locked up several times. Dealer applied software upgrade, and fixed.

- Memory seats sometimes lose their memory when accessing the back seat.

- Brakes intermittently squeek when not in use

- Transmission replaced at 19k miles due to "gurgling sound" according to the dealer (sounded like a bad throw out bearing to me, but I wasn't paying for it, so I let them put a new tranny in). Also replaced clutch when tranny was out. Got car back, and it had really bad clutch chatter. Dealer replaced the pressure plate and flywheel next, and it still chattered. Chattering finally going away slowly, but still does it, most noticeable when letting the clutch out from a stop. Rattle from under the car when letting clutch out still there.
What year is your car??

Old 10-27-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm on my 3rd G. 1st BS 03 sedan in 20K miles- no problems, 2nd LR coupe, 17K miles only problem for me was paint chips. Grrrr cus I loved the LR color, but it really showe the chips...then 04 BS coupe, so far, 28K miles, all good except pass window regulator replaced and the occasional rattle. The car is so much fun to drive. Bang for the buck is IMO BIG.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How has your G35 been reliability wise?