G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sat Install shocker! Long story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat Install shocker! Long story

First this is a long post and I am sorry for it.

Well, I bought my G35 Coupe in March. I waited patiently until the day I woudl know if my car was prewired or not for a sat radio. Well, to make a long story short, a month or so ago I found out from Consumer Affairs that my vin number indicated that my car was indeed prewired. Now, all I had to do was wait until the official isat nstallation instructions were made available to Infiniti service centers. Well, last week they were made available. I call Grubbs and bought the Sirius. I brought my car in for the installation to my local Infiniti dealer. They wanted a whopping $311 for installation. I was somewhat peeved that it was a ripoff. I swallowed hard a went for it. Three days later and no car. They had a serious problem. As a prewire, the plugs were plugged into the radio and the white plug was in the trunk. All right, so far? No way. Well, the radio still did not work and no one knew why. For 3 days the techs were on the phone with Infiniti. Techs saying that even thought the car had the plugs the car was not prewired. Infiniti themselves said this was impossible. Anyway, after much investigation by Infiniti, they have now admitted that though they indicated this car was prewired, it was not and the job was never finished at the factory. So no sat for me. My service center indicated I could get a harness for 33 bucks (which I knew about). But also indicated that they would want another 300 bucks to install the cable harness and finish the insatllation. A total of over $600. And if I didn't want to do this and wanted take my car home without the sat, they would require the 300 bucks anyway for the work already done. So, let me get this straight, I said, if I take the car now without the sat, I pay $300 and if I leave it to have the sat installed, it would cost me a total 600 bucks. I went ballistic. I am an innocent party and they did not care. My arguement is that I went according to the advice of Consumer Affairs and the dealer, who did in fact confirm the vin number and that the car indeed had been prewired. Well, I called Consumer Affairs and I was ready to give it to them when they immediately offered to pay the first 300 bucks of labor trying to install. After I received the necessary info, I then called Grubbs and ordered the harness. Now, it must be understood that all Infiniti themselves is offering, is to pay my out of pocket for the work that was done due to their mistake. Consumer affairs advises that their is no official 'fix' for non prewired cars. So don't start calling Consumer Affairs wanting to get some refunds. The point of this long winded story, is just because your vin number indicates a prewire, it doesn't mean you absolutely have it. And knowing how Infiniti immediately addressed this, they know of this situation, and I am not the first and only one to have this problem. So, beware. Anyway, tomorrow I should have my car back with the new harness installed. For $300 I would do it. Not for $600 plus the radio. Sorry for the long post. I'll let you know how the wire harness nstallation goes.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Re: Sat Install shocker! Long story

You should just spend the money on 30 CDs ( and there's no monthly fee!)

Old 07-18-2003, 09:50 AM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why you were gonna have infiniti do the install in the first place. I mean I understand that you would rather have them install the harness but the sat install is easy. Lets see It took me about a half hour so for a $300 job thats a rate of $600 an hour. Not too bad for Infiniti I suppose. Plus they are gonna install your antenna on the roof of your car while I have mine neatly tucked away on the rear deck inside the car. Basically what I'm saying is anyone that is truly prewired and pays Infiniti $300 for a 30 minute (in theory) install is Nutz. Just my .02

Oh yeah and that is prettty hilarious that they wanted $300 for doing nothing on your car. Oh man would I have fun with the poor fool that called me and asked for $300 for a job that wasn't even done. LOL

Old 07-18-2003, 11:11 AM

maybe your attorney general would be interested than ICA.

----------------------------------------------------
bs g35c lth/prem - a poser with no lsd

Old 07-18-2003, 12:31 PM

I am confused... First I was told that my car is not pre wired, now the Dealer and Consumer Affairs are telling me that it is indeed pre wired. Can someone tell me how can I tell if it is? Is there any plug somewhere in the trunk or else? I do not have any stickers on the car door that states that my car is pre wired.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:38 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tell by the VIN number I forgot the cutoff but there is a post somewhere on here, do a search for prewired. or look in your trunk to the left of the spare under the panel on the floor and there should be a white plug next to the factory amp.

Old 07-18-2003, 03:56 PM

Man, I'd have been livid! Now way I'd pay for something with that much misinformation flying around. That's totally their fault. Get the cable and do the prewire yourself. I and others on here have done it and while it's not trivial, it's not too hard if you take your time.

By the way, there's an article in this month's Fortune about Nissan and their comeback. They are redesigning or introducing 28 new models in less than a year - between 25 and 30% of their product line. Fortune predicts this will strain every part of the operation, from engineering to manufacturing to marketing to sales and support. What you're seeing is part of that upheaval (doesn't make it feel any better, but puts it in perspective).

I hope they manage to get it right - I'm sick of boring-assed Toyotas and POS domestic cars. At least Nissan makes cars that get the blood moving (and for a decent price).

-- mike

2003 G35C 6MT Leather, BS, Prem

Old 07-19-2003, 02:11 PM

Im sorry, but I don't have too much sympathy for this guy. Have you ever dated a girl that changed her own oil and thought, 'man she's pritty cool'. Well this aint you dude. Installing the sat is as simple as plugging in your toaster. Im having a hard time figuring out why you didn't know that. Maybe you grew up with a maid or something, or always had people doing stuff for you. I dunno. I go through life expecting people to try to rip me off and that works for me. I plug my own toaster in and change my own oil.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:49 PM

where are you located it? i did my own install. i could help you out if you like.