G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

SVT to g35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, thanks for the posts, seems to be a real down to eartch bunch here... where to start...

Originally Posted by glennp_1999
There is wide variety of suspesion mods for the G HKS, Tiens, Eibach, etc., etc. One thing you have to learn about the G is that this car is a porker. 3800lbs gross weight w/ full tank of gas and on driver. This is another reason why it has a slow 1/4 mile run. Nevertheless, it is a more fun to drive car than any Ford I know in existance (stock for stock of course). It is an attention ***** so make sure when you're driving it that you comb your hair and have a cool set of shades on. LOL! I don't know much about Ford, but I do work for Lexus. Someone stated 5.1 on 0-60 on the new IS350. I'm sorry to say but that is a myth even with 306hp the IS350 feels slower than it should. Corrected time for this car is 5.6 from 0-60 we got a memo about this before it's release last week.
the attention is something i actually think i might get less of. although the g is such a hot looking car, they are everyyyyywhere here. the lightning on the other hand is a bit more rare to see. nevertheless, i'm happy to think a bout driving something with class, coming form a ford.

anyways, which out of those springs slams the car? i want a nice tucked look with having it SO low that things get messed up, but i'm willing to slow down real nice for speed bumps, etc.

Originally Posted by Sumlime311
yea i have seen a of vids of a couple of coupes in the mid 11s 1/4 mile. if you do it right it will be as fast as anything out there
what do you mean by "do it right". I wouldn't want to start a project that needs a built motor and new fuel system. if it was possible to throw on the vortech or TT kit, tune, and run into the high 12's, i'd be more than happy.

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Wow, that'll be quite a change from a sport truck to a sport coupe......and a good one! You're in for a treat.
Sure the coupe will be down on power 'til you turbo it, but then it will be a beast.
Even stock, it satisfies most of us, and it won't take many rides in the coupe to forget the 'L'.
Gas mileage will be better than the lightning, and depending on how you drive, you could realize 20 something without much bother.

G/L with your purchase. BTW where are you? in the east or west?

Colin.
yah it sure will be a big trade. in reality the change is happening because spending upwards of 30 CAD in a day is simply retarded, but i also assume it'll be nice hitting the corners harder than in the Lightning.

Anyways, what was that about "realizing 20 something without much bother"?

I'm in BC.

And the biggest question i have is to this coment:

Originally Posted by Beowulf

Its often debated but the only really big performance mod is a super charger and most people don't do it because it sends your potential repair costs sky high for this particular car.

I haven't been on here long but I read that adding a vortech blower will safely bring you up around 380 rwhp? is this not true? are there forged internals in the motor?

Old 10-21-2005, 06:46 PM
i'm kinda in the same boat as you. im in the market for a G and coming from a 96 cobra slightly modded. I am def looking forward to the move due to the fact that they run almost the same as mine did stock w/ 100x better style. Absolutely love the body style and cant wait till spring when i pull the trigger on an 05 IP 6mt coupe! and u better believe a blower will be on there in no time and some nasty exhaust! the main reason why i love my car is the sound at WOT! GL man hope u pick one up
-Adam

Old 10-21-2005, 06:56 PM
ShaneN,

If you push the Vortech at its intended psi, which is only 8, you won't have a problem. There are guys with years and many street and track miles on their ATI and Vortech G35s and haven't broken their car. What the poster meant by "doing it right" is a proper tune, which includes fuel mapping. This is not something you want to do over the weekend with your buddy in the garage. Some guys are pushing the 9 psi pulley on the Vortech and stock internals with reliability, but you really have to watch what you're doing. Then again, some guys are pushing 11 psi, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone on stock internals. The most I've seen a built motor push was 15 psi and dyno'ed 550 rwhp. 8 psi and a proper tune can get you about 350-380 rwhp. You'll quickly discover that traction is you biggest enemy and that's what accounts for these cars not getting good 1/4 times.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
ShaneN,

If you push the Vortech at its intended psi, which is only 8, you won't have a problem. There are guys with years and many street and track miles on their ATI and Vortech G35s and haven't broken their car. What the poster meant by "doing it right" is a proper tune, which includes fuel mapping. This is not something you want to do over the weekend with your buddy in the garage. Some guys are pushing the 9 psi pulley on the Vortech and stock internals with reliability, but you really have to watch what you're doing. Then again, some guys are pushing 11 psi, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone on stock internals. The most I've seen a built motor push was 15 psi and dyno'ed 550 rwhp. 8 psi and a proper tune can get you about 350-380 rwhp. You'll quickly discover that traction is you biggest enemy and that's what accounts for these cars not getting good 1/4 times.
very god info, thank you. what kind of power do they make at 9psi? and what is involved with tuning? by fuel maping are you talking about basically 'setting' the a/f at a desired level?

with my lightning i used a hand held tuner and then hooked it up to a laptop where a tuner at my local ford dealer worked is magic until i had a safe, yet decently powerful tune. however, there is next to no tuners here.. could my past tuner do the tuning on my car (what infiniti spec tools are needed)?

Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Beowulf.... i've beaten 2 evo's from a roll and im completely stock
next on the list..... wrx STI..... untill next time!

Old 10-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I had an 02 Mustang GT with plenty of suspension/exterior mods, but I won't get into that. The 350Z was way better, but now i'm wanting to step up to a G35.

Do you know if you want the 6MT or the 5AT transmission yet? This is my number one point of confusion right now.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:56 PM
standard all the way. auto vehicles FEEL slower to me. and going to a slower car i'd want the fun of ripping through the gears.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:28 PM
after i got my 100mph+ ticket i drove REALLY carefully... i averaged 20-30mpg in LA and with light traffic. no joke.
i have raced a stock lightning in my 6spd coupe and actually beat it in a dash to 60 or 70 mph from a 10mph roll. it was a silver one and the guy gave me thumbs up.
there are a few diff between teh 03 and the 04. i cant really remember what they are but i think they are really minor like a faster loading cd player and some electronic gadgets. the 05 loses the brembos, gets an extra 18hp but loses torque and weighs more so in reality its not any faster. it has nice looking 19in rims and better interior. i never had a complaint about my 04 interior, but the 05 is even nicer. the 06 is prob more luxerious out of the previous years and could be the slowest. but dont quote me on that, i dont know the weight diff., thats just my guess.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by BlackG35th
Beowulf.... i've beaten 2 evo's from a roll and im completely stock
next on the list..... wrx STI..... untill next time!
i just beat an evo 2 nights ago in a race 80-120mph. got him by 3/4 to 1 car length

Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by MaDdFLaSheR
after i got my 100mph+ ticket i drove REALLY carefully... i averaged 20-30mpg in LA and with light traffic. no joke.
i have raced a stock lightning in my 6spd coupe and actually beat it in a dash to 60 or 70 mph from a 10mph roll. it was a silver one and the guy gave me thumbs up.
there are a few diff between teh 03 and the 04. i cant really remember what they are but i think they are really minor like a faster loading cd player and some electronic gadgets. the 05 loses the brembos, gets an extra 18hp but loses torque and weighs more so in reality its not any faster. it has nice looking 19in rims and better interior. i never had a complaint about my 04 interior, but the 05 is even nicer. the 06 is prob more luxerious out of the previous years and could be the slowest. but dont quote me on that, i dont know the weight diff., thats just my guess.

obviously i'm here because i like these cars but a 01-04 lightning wouldn't beat a stock G pretty bad. when i was stock i raced a standard g35 and had him pretty bad.

the lightnings run 13.5 stock cept the 00/99's run like 14.1ish

Old 10-24-2005, 06:15 AM
maybe it was a 99-00.. i dont know how to tell the diff. between those years. i just remember that it was a really close race and i had my big bro in the car with me.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 AM
good kill, regardless.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I ran a Lightening at the drag strip. He ran a 13.8 and I ran a 14.4, but I had traction, rear camber and cold summer tire issues and only got a 2.4 60'. However, another guy from our group with a 5AT on all-seasons ran a 14.0 at 100 mph. I wouldn't touch a Lightening from a dig, but from a high mph roll, physics would be in my favor.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive seen a lightening vs my friend's e36 m3 (passenger seat) QM on the street. There is a stop sign in the back of the community i live in where from a stop sign to the 3rd light pole is almost exactly a QM. The m3 had the lightening for the first 90% or so of the race and the lightening won by less than a length... i raced the same friend in my g35 couple 6mt and beat it by a little less than the lightening beat my friend's m3..... just to give you an idea of how it will compare to a stock lightening. The SVT does FEEEL a ton faster and more powerful though. I drove it and it put my back in my seat BAD... my car doesnt feel like that