G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

SVT to g35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SVT to g35?

I currently drive a modified Lightning but am thinking of trading in on anothe vehicle, mostly because gas in this thing costs me 30 CAD everyday.

I really like the look of the g35. They obviously have more class than driving a ford but i'll really miss how fast the 'L' is.

I have a few questions, i'm a noobie to these cars, bare with me.

1) what kind of gas mileage do they get? i'm not sure what my truck get's but it's less 10 mpg i the city. i can go about 50 kms on every 20 CAD of fuel (94).

2) how quick are they bone stock in the 1/4 and 0-60. (i'm only interested in the coupes)

3) what's the difference between the 03,04, 05 (and other years of they made them ?)

4) what do people do to make them fast? i think i saw some stuff on a vortech blower on this site, what does it typically take to do that?

thx you

Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Call the Cops
1. most people get about 17-19 mpg.. depending on the driver
2. the 6MT does about 5.8 0-60 and low 14's for 1/4 mile
3. the 03 and 04 are exactly the same. the 05 has 18+ horsepower for the 6mt and a way better, more refined interior. 19'' rims. your best bet is definitely the new 06's which has projector headlights, revised tailights, and the body is slightly different. but they're trying to get rid of the 05's so you can find some deals.
4. for 8 grand you can make this car a beast. look into the stillen or vortech supercharger. or better yet a twin turbo like the APS or the Greddy.

there are some nicely modded G's on here that a lot of power. talk to tinman, paranormal, or g352nv. pm them or somethin, they'll know a lot

Last edited by Basheer; 10-19-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. you'll get about 18mpg if you take it EASY in the G in city... highway about 25mpg

2. 03-04 is like 14.2-14.4 QM stock (not sure on the 05 but im sure its about the same)

3. The 03 and 04 are pretty similar. the early 03's didnt have a center armrest and i cant really think of much else thats different between the two. The 03-04 6 speed manual tranny cars came with brembo brakes. the 05 had a new aluminum dash and more hp. they also offer stock 19's made by Rays. The 05 revup engine is like 298hp i believe. the 06 has slightly restyled rear tail lights and projectors i believe and some interior differences

4) the only way to make them faster really is to go Forced induction. With vortech supercharger's they are only running mid 13's. Some modded twinturbo setups run 12's but its hard to get them into low 12's from what ive seen from track slips

(btw anything i said thats inaccurate please someone else correct me)

Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 AM
aasdf

Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 AM
So they run low 14's but with a blower and over 100 rwhp extra, they only run 13s????

that's kind of discouraging.

Can you guys post your years, i'd like to see th differences, mostly in the rims.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Bro, you're gonna miss the torque, and your gas might actually get worse! - i came off an 01 vette and i feel both. BUT, and this is a big BUT, the G is a ton classier, smoother and lux. People here complain about rattles in the G, i don't even notice em, the vette was one big rattling bucket of bolts. If I had could have waited a little longer, i probably would have gone with the is350 - 5.1 0-60 + lexus quality! can't beat that. BuT, and ther's always a but, there's a premium in price and no stick shift. Hope the info helps.

edit: i just reread your post i thought you drive an svt (cobra 0-60 in 4.5), you drive a modified lightning (sorry i was thrown off by the title that said SVT), you'll be allright with a g. the handling alone will be worth it compared to a truck. and yea you'll still miss the torque but compared to a lightning it'll make it up in the top end. Oh and mpg's pretty cool compared to a truck b/c the g has less drag. prepare for the savings of 16 mpg!!!

Last edited by mistermojorizin; 10-19-2005 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin
Bro, you're gonna miss the torque, and your gas might actually get worse! - i came off an 01 vette and i feel both. BUT, and this is a big BUT, the G is a ton classier, smoother and lux. People here complain about rattles in the G, i don't even notice em, the vette was one big rattling bucket of bolts. If I had could have waited a little longer, i probably would have gone with the is350 - 5.1 0-60 + lexus quality! can't beat that. BuT, and ther's always a but, there's a premium in price and no stick shift. Hope the info helps.

edit: i just reread your post i thought you drive an svt (cobra 0-60 in 4.5), you drive a modified lightning (sorry i was thrown off by the title that said SVT), you'll be allright with a g. the handling alone will be worth it compared to a truck. and yea you'll still miss the torque but compared to a lightning it'll make it up in the top end. Oh and mpg's pretty cool compared to a truck b/c the g has less drag. prepare for the savings of 16 mpg!!!
meh, the lightning is faster in ever aspect, mine makes 405/530.... it's basically as quick as a stock 03-04 cobra. but having such a heavy vehicle with so much power and drag, i think the G will be wayyyyyyyyyyyy better on gas. i'm seeing less than 10 mpg, for sure.

i bet your vette had wicket gas mileage, the ls1's are pretty good on gas. why did you change to a g from a vette? i'd be buying my buddies z06 if insurance didn't cost an extra 150 every month (compared to the g35)

so what are typical mods for these cars? how are the 6 speeds, easy to rip through? and what is the norm for lowering?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 PM
bumpity bump.

i'm looking for more imput on the subjects at hand, if you don't mind sharing. I'm thinking about starting my search for one this weekend.

How are they for a wider set guy? I'm about 5'10" and 240.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm 6' 2" 240 and am comfortable.

G was my first MT and after a month it was cake.

Lightning's are nice for sure (mmmm stock boost) but the G will turn heads stock more than any other car.

You don't have to go FI. ISMSOLUTIONS on here has an AUTO coupe (which is slower in the stock 1/4) and runs mid 12's. 3.9 gears, cams, port and polish, exhaust, and supporting mods. The VQ is very potent stock and a lot of people complain about the unwillingness it has to take mods but I think people just aren't building right. Don't go buying a CAI and think it will give you the same gain you got on the Lighting (I know, I had a Grand Prix GTP with the M90 on it and a CAI was a p-i-m-p mod). On the G other than making the exhaust louder it is about worthless.

Look hard and get what you want. Don't settle on a G unless it is the exact options you want. At first I didn't want a spoiler, sunroof, etc. but after driving one without all that I knew I had to have it all

Old 10-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is wide variety of suspesion mods for the G HKS, Tiens, Eibach, etc., etc. One thing you have to learn about the G is that this car is a porker. 3800lbs gross weight w/ full tank of gas and on driver. This is another reason why it has a slow 1/4 mile run. Nevertheless, it is a more fun to drive car than any Ford I know in existance (stock for stock of course). It is an attention ***** so make sure when you're driving it that you comb your hair and have a cool set of shades on. LOL! I don't know much about Ford, but I do work for Lexus. Someone stated 5.1 on 0-60 on the new IS350. I'm sorry to say but that is a myth even with 306hp the IS350 feels slower than it should. Corrected time for this car is 5.6 from 0-60 we got a memo about this before it's release last week.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't take one person's opinion on how well these cars do with FI. There are MANY G's and 350z's in the 12s and some in the 11's. Don't take my word for it, go to this forum:https://g35driver.com/forums/forumdi...aysprune=&f=59

Old 10-21-2005, 03:36 PM
yea i have seen a of vids of a couple of coupes in the mid 11s 1/4 mile. if you do it right it will be as fast as anything out there

Old 10-21-2005, 04:44 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
I currently drive a modified Lightning but am thinking of trading in on anothe vehicle, mostly because gas in this thing costs me 30 CAD everyday.

I really like the look of the g35. They obviously have more class than driving a ford but i'll really miss how fast the 'L' is.

I have a few questions, i'm a noobie to these cars, bare with me.

1) what kind of gas mileage do they get? i'm not sure what my truck get's but it's less 10 mpg i the city. i can go about 50 kms on every 20 CAD of fuel (94).

2) how quick are they bone stock in the 1/4 and 0-60. (i'm only interested in the coupes)

3) what's the difference between the 03,04, 05 (and other years of they made them ?)

4) what do people do to make them fast? i think i saw some stuff on a vortech blower on this site, what does it typically take to do that?

thx you
Wow, that'll be quite a change from a sport truck to a sport coupe......and a good one! You're in for a treat.
Sure the coupe will be down on power 'til you turbo it, but then it will be a beast.
Even stock, it satisfies most of us, and it won't take many rides in the coupe to forget the 'L'.
Gas mileage will be better than the lightning, and depending on how you drive, you could realize 20 something without much bother.

G/L with your purchase. BTW where are you? in the east or west?

Colin.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
actually, corvettes gas mileage ain't that bad. it's just a little worse then ours but they have at least 100 hp more (ZO6s). My friend drives a '01 ZO6 (which is the only year for the 385hp the rest are 405hp and the new one is like 505hp), but he gets pretty good gas mileage, unless he's driving it hard. But he's a pretty agressive driver (me too sometimes) so it was pretty surprising to see how good it was.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Always remember this is a luxury sport coupe, and its built to handle with above average acceleration. The cars to compare are BMW's, Lexus's and Acura's. These cars are never going to be able flat out beat the vetts, cobras, STI's and EVO's, but it will give you a good time and you will definitely get a lot more compliments.

Its often debated but the only really big performance mod is a super charger and most people don't do it because it sends your potential repair costs sky high for this particular car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SVT to g35?