G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

shift in wrong gear! Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah this happened to my friend, with his Civic Si, but instead it was much worse. He was redlined in 3rd at around 7500rpm and mistakenly downshifted into 2nd. For the first 2 days, the car seemed fine, but on the 3rd day, he was blowing out blue smoke out the exhaust. He went to a mechanic to find out he had fried his piston rings.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajwong
I spoke with the head mechanic at my dealership about my clutch that didn't engage causing the engine to red line for two seconds or so. He assured me Nissan/Infiniti engines are solid and can take the abuse.

There is a big difference between your engine hitting redline and you engine being pushed well passed redline by the motion/inertia of the car. In your case you should be fine but the other guy downshifted into the wrong gear and the motion of the car was then spinning the engine. Downshifting into the wrong gear can easily push the engine to 10k or more.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AthenG
I've been driving stick for the past 6 years and mostly 5 speed MT. I've raced and never shifted in the wrong gear (at least i don't remember doing so), anyways i was racing my friend's Civic with a modded Type R engine. while runnig on fifth gear, just before redline i tried to hit 6th but instead i didn't push hard enough to the right and instead hit back my 4th gear..... boom my RPM hit the limiter. my question is will this really going to affect my engine? i know lots of people who hit the wrong gear and blown their engine, my car seems fine and i only have 1300 miles on the car. im still getting used to driving 6MT plus i'm used to driving way past 8K RPM that i've hit my rev limiter on my G a couple of times...
Thanks God for limiters.......it saved your butt.
If it's running fine it's probably fine. Count your blessings, and practice that 5-6 thift.

C.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:45 PM
i dont think one time thing affects the car much...
it does affect the car when you miss-shift quite often, which i doubt.
you get a headache if you think about it too much...just try not to do it again :/

Old 10-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by AthenG
I've been driving stick for the past 6 years and mostly 5 speed MT. I've raced and never shifted in the wrong gear (at least i don't remember doing so), anyways i was racing my friend's Civic with a modded Type R engine. while runnig on fifth gear, just before redline i tried to hit 6th but instead i didn't push hard enough to the right and instead hit back my 4th gear..... boom my RPM hit the limiter. my question is will this really going to affect my engine? i know lots of people who hit the wrong gear and blown their engine, my car seems fine and i only have 1300 miles on the car. im still getting used to driving 6MT plus i'm used to driving way past 8K RPM that i've hit my rev limiter on my G a couple of times...
I am just wondering how you accomplished this .... I am still a noob to stick but isnt the tranny supposed to give you serious resistance if you try to put it into lower gear(higher rpm) than allowed/redline?? I have once while driving tried to put it into 2nd instead of 4th by mistake and got a lot of resistance to the point that I realized that I had wrong gear selected ... wouldnt it do the same with 4th instead of 6th ?? Or were you slamming the gears so hard that you didnt even notice the resistance, but still that would have to be like arnold strenght. Anyway Im not trying to critique you here just wondering because like I said im still basically a noob with only 3k miles under my belt. Hope your engine is nice and healthy

Old 10-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redlining 5th!!!!! WOW

Old 10-23-2005, 11:06 PM
and u only have 1300 miles on it? dude u just barely broke it in..dude wait until like 2k to start abusing. IMO

Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Redlining 5th!!!!! WOW
What the heck is the mph when you are redlining in 5th?

Old 10-23-2005, 11:16 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Gnome
I am just wondering how you accomplished this .... I am still a noob to stick but isnt the tranny supposed to give you serious resistance if you try to put it into lower gear(higher rpm) than allowed/redline?? I have once while driving tried to put it into 2nd instead of 4th by mistake and got a lot of resistance to the point that I realized that I had wrong gear selected ... wouldnt it do the same with 4th instead of 6th ?? Or were you slamming the gears so hard that you didnt even notice the resistance, but still that would have to be like arnold strenght. Anyway Im not trying to critique you here just wondering because like I said im still basically a noob with only 3k miles under my belt. Hope your engine is nice and healthy
Yes, but when youre racing you just slam it into gear before you even realize the amount of resistance it's already in gear.

When youre going from gear to gear as fast as possible, you jsut do it without thinking or responding.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:57 AM
5th redlined should be around 145 from what i remember from the last time i tried to top my car out.

thats funny, 2 days ago was the first time i missed a shift too. i floored it in 3rd, redlined that and as i tried shifting to 4th, my hand got tangled in my ipod cord and i accidentally put it in 2nd (no resistance there). luckily i noticed my rpm start flying up and pressed the clutch in and stopped it at about 7.2k i believe. no damage to the car as far as i could tell.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by MaDdFLaSheR
5th redlined should be around 145 from what i remember from the last time i tried to top my car out.

thats funny, 2 days ago was the first time i missed a shift too. i floored it in 3rd, redlined that and as i tried shifting to 4th, my hand got tangled in my ipod cord and i accidentally put it in 2nd (no resistance there). luckily i noticed my rpm start flying up and pressed the clutch in and stopped it at about 7.2k i believe. no damage to the car as far as i could tell.
ouch that hurts... good reflexes man.. i jus got my coupe 2 weeks ago and im afraid of shifting from 5th to 4th cause it feels like im going to 2nd.. def dont wanna do that.. jus hurts thinking about it..

when u guys redline ur cars dont u feel like ur not picking up anymore... i dont redline i punch it jus b4 redline cause i dont feel the car accelerating when it gets to redline...

Old 10-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
learn to backhand into the gear. For 3 to 4 or 5 to 6. It'll save you the hassle of going through this. If you learn the proper hand motion for shifting then it should help out.