G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clicking noise upon first rolling out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Clicking noise upon first rolling out

i had the same problem too. I check the owner manual and it say it is normal when first start the car.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:58 AM

Could you please post the page #, and exact quote so we can all be at ease and know what, if anything, we are all talking about? Thanks!

-T

Old 08-06-2003, 12:21 PM

It is a racheting noise you get when starting forward or in reverse. It didn't start on my car until about 5,000 miles. The dealership has heard it and said it was not normal. They are working on figuring out what the problem is now. If someone has gotten it fixed, please let me know so I can tell the dealership.

By the way, I did have them tighten the bolts as suggested in another post about this problem. It did not fix the problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SBoden on 08/06/03 09:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-06-2003, 03:03 PM

Ok first off the noise that is being described sounds like a metallic noise if this is correct then it is not the ABS, have your local dealer loosen all the rear suspension bolts to the lower arms and retorque to spec. We as a precaution loosen and retorque all the lower bolts and nuts. That should take care of this noise. Do this to replicate engage your parking brake, put the car into drive accel slightly forward or reverse then take it out of park now accelerate if the noise occurs - then the above repair will fix this.

Good luck

Old 08-06-2003, 05:59 PM

Thanks Yorkville,
tmoney, reread my post and Yorkvilles'. Yorkville works at an infinii dealership here in toronto.
If you hear a racheting, pinging, popping noise coming from the right rear tire and is heard everytime a force is placed on the rear axel then you have this problem that myself and Yorkville described. If its a diff noise then its propably not is but i'll bet money that it is the same thing.

TEST is out. u cant hear it will the radio on or windows up.
you will hear it accelerating into 1st and reverse, you might also hear it at the beginng or 2nd and even 3rd gear if you accelerate hard. Basically anything that delivers a sudden force to the rear axel will make the noise.

I'l post exactly what the service guys did to fix the problem later tonight

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 08-07-2003, 01:03 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

thanks Tabz, my appointment isnt till monday the 18th, glad you got yours fixed
thanks all for the info.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 08-07-2003, 12:08 PM

here it is hope it helps even though its hard to understand word for word on the service report:
"improper
NH70A1 R&I rear cross member to re-fit and re-tapped two bolts"
the service people were not there when i picked the car up so i wasn't given a proper explanation.
btw they had the shop foreman work on the car so he knows his stuff and there is NO more noise
if you need further info i can try to call them and ask them to explain

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 08-07-2003, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the update...I'll take this in and see if they understand it.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:47 PM

Ok well then.... I think we are probably talking about two different noises then. The noise I'm talking about does not happen EVERY time I start off. Not even every time I start the car, only after it has been sitting for a long time. And the noise, after paying careful attention to it this morning, lasts for about 1 second. It is like a attenuator or some kind of sound.. "bom bom bom then *click*" kinda thing going up an octave if you can imagine that kind of noise. But it is easily reproducable, and repeat, does NOT happen every time I move the car (I frequently drive with the radio off, windows down, sunroof open just to listen to the exhaust). At some point I will record this sound and post it here so we can do a compraro.

-T

Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tmoney, I have the same noise you describe. I only hear it when I first start off in the morning. I back down my drive way and then, within the first 15 seconds of moving forward, I hear it. It may have something to do with changing directions and/or the car being cold or both?? I know you said yours happens when the car is cold, but are you changing directions too?
To me the noise seems to be coming from the front of the car, probably the engine compartment. It sounds like a belt or gear lightly buzzing or something resetting?? It's hard to describe. I don't think it is of any importance. My car has been doing it all along and I am now at 3700 mi. and everything seems to be working fine.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:42 PM

tmoney and gsg,

It sounds like your noises are different then what the topic is about. This noise is everytime you move forward or in reverse and its from the rear of the car.

Edit: Actually tmoney's post probably has to do with the first post. Most of the posts in this topic (including mine) have to do with the other racheting post.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:51 PM

gsg, correct, the noise I am describing occurs when I back out of my garage in the morning, out the driveway, then start to creep forward, then when I've reached say about 5 mph or so it happens, just like you say a gear resetting buzzing, then *click*. Only a short sound, maybe 1 second or so. I go through the same thing at work (back the car out, put in drive, go forward) and no noise. Going home, no noise. Only after the car has sat for a while like more than 8 or 10 hours. Again I asked the service guy last week and he said this was normal, haven't had time to check the owners manual but I'll do that later. I have ~650 break-in miles on my 5AT.

I'll have to ask again next time I bring her in for service.

-T

Old 08-07-2003, 03:07 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tmoney - yes exactly the same. My car is also a 5AT by the way. Car makes the noise only in the morning, not when I leave work during the day.
Your service guy said it was normal, but did he say what it was making the sound?

Old 08-07-2003, 03:45 PM

gsg... the service guy said it was something to do with (ABS, VDC, ???) resetting itself. I should have paid more attention but when he made the exact noise I was hearing (vocal sound effects) and then said that was normal, I kinda ignored the rest of what he said. Someone mentioned something in the owners manual saying something about this. Maybe I'll take a look at it during lunch.

-T

Old 08-07-2003, 04:47 PM

RamboRami, Tabz

I too have the clicking noise when force is placed on the suspension when the car begins movement in 1st (and i assume reverse). I discovered it a couple of days ago. It sounded like the springs creaking or something like that. Tabz, the item on your service report makes sense to what I hear. Well i have an appointment on 12th, so I will let you know what Infiniti Service finds.

Mike.

2003 6MT Coupe Black/Graphite/Prem./Nav/Aero
1994 MR2 Turbo 5MT Black/Prem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise upon first rolling out