G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clicking noise upon first rolling out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clicking noise upon first rolling out

I'm not real worried about this, but I thought I'd just bring it up. Whenever I run my car after it's sat for a day or two, I will briefly hear a clicking noise in back, mostly near the passenger side rear wheel, shortly after I begin rolling out. It goes on for 5 seconds, then stops and doesn't re-occur unless the car has sat for a day. I would guess that it's the sound of something in the axle linking up, but supposedly I don't have LSD. Mind you, I rarely run my car without first getting the temperature needle above "C". Any idea what that sound is? It occurs to me that I've gone over a decade without owning a rear drive car, so it could be something very ordinary that I'm just not used to. But I don't think the sound started until the 2500 mile mark.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 07-21-2003, 03:34 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Clicking noise upon first rolling out

something is loose back there, possibly some nuts n bolts, possibly some bearings, tell your dealership to inspect it at your next service (3750 miles)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/Grounding Kit

Old 07-21-2003, 03:42 PM

i had the exact same problem. the dealer eventually retorqued the passenger rear and and it went away. I had to take the service manager out and make him hear it to get it taken care of.

good luck!

Old 07-21-2003, 05:40 PM

I have that noise EVERY time I accelerate. I am taking it to dealer Wednesday and I'll let you know what happens.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:37 PM

Is this all the rear half-shaft nut problem????

Old 08-05-2003, 03:23 PM

If it sounds like a little ratchet followed by a sound like an actuator-like noise, this is "normal, the ABS resetting itself" and should happen as often as you describe (when the car sits without driving for a long period of time, and only as you roll FORWARD the first time), according to my service manager. I've got 500 miles on the car and every morning I back out of my garage, then as I start driving forward old reliable "rat tat tat tat tat" clicks in.

The odd thing is there is no mention of this in the owners manual or handbook (that I read anyway).

Talk to your service manager and let me know if you get the same speech...

-T

Old 08-05-2003, 05:07 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

dude there is no way thats the ABS resetting, the brakes arent even being applied, and plus it sounds way too mechanical of a noise. ABS resetting probably wouldnt sound like that, but i could be wrong

Old 08-05-2003, 06:53 PM

Mine is a few metallic noises at low speed, right rear. like

ting....ting ting.....ting........ting.............then nothing. Right rear for minutes and sporadic. You almost have to listen for it and then it drives you nuts. Not ABS..wish it were

Old 08-05-2003, 07:20 PM

Hey dude, don't shoot the messenger. I was repeating what the service manager told me. He said it was something to do w/ the ABS or something resetting itself. I didn't care as long as it was normal. Which is why I was askin to see what his/your service guy says, to see if he gets the same speech. When I get my 1200 mile oil change I'll have them take a look at it and let u know if their story changes...

But mine is the same deal, leave the car in the garage overnight, get ready to drive to work, back out, then as I start moving FORWARD, the ratchety sound. Only at the first time moving forward from a period where the car has been sitting for a while (> 8 hours).

-T

Old 08-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

tmoney,
have same, assessed same.
You are correct. ABS/TCS/VDC to be specific.

Derek

DB

Old 08-05-2003, 10:53 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

there we go.....that explanation sounds better.....it sounds something coming from the center of the car for me :/

Old 08-05-2003, 11:14 PM

had the same problem, got it fixed, something to do with stabilizer links or something. Nothing to do with the ABS!

You can hear it everytime a force is placed on the rear axle, not just when the car is cold, try it, open the windows and the sunroof and turn stereo off. You'll hear it as you start in 1st or reverse, only heard at the begining of every gear (when there is a jerk/force applied to the rear axel/wheels). I'll check the service report and will post exactly what they did

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 08-05-2003, 11:48 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

thanks tabz, i have to take her in for service anyway next week.... so if you can let us know by then that would be great [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] MANY THANKS

Old 08-06-2003, 12:26 AM

Wait now I'm confused. Derek confirmed my dealer story, but you guys are saying something else. Just to be exact, this is a rachet like noise that happens ONLY when the car is rolled forward for the first time after a LONG period of not running. And it only happens once, not every time u roll forward after the fact...

Confused,
-T

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise upon first rolling out