G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clicking noise upon first rolling out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Clicking noise upon first rolling out

I have same faint metallic clicking noise....almost like tack in rear tire...have to have window open and radio off. Awaiting service bulletin ...sounds like we all have a common problem.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:17 PM

yup, I don't have jdman's noise; I have the faint clicking sound each time in 1st gear and even into second and third. but you really gotta be listening hard for it.

thanks to tabz for the description. I'm going into dealer in mission viejo, calif. on tuesday, 8/12. service guy already said he's never heard of this one---not a good sign. but I'll bring along the description and thanks also to yorkville!

will post results.

BONDg35c

Old 08-07-2003, 10:04 PM

glad to be of service
now i wonder if its on all the cars or just the 6mt.
mine is the 6MT, everyone esle?
i was driving the other day and pulled up beside another G35c and heard the noise while he was driving, i wanted to say something to him but i was in the bimmer and i didn't want him to look at me like i'm a freak

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 08-08-2003, 10:07 AM

Mine is with the 6MT.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:30 PM

Ok, I've scoured the owner's manual, and found **TWO** places where it mentions this "clunk" noise upon first driving out (and listening to the noise this morning carefully, it actually sounds like "*CLICK*CLUNK* WooooOOOOOOUUUUM".

In the Owner's Manual, Starting and driving [5-21] regarding the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Self-Test Feature: "The anti-lock brake system consists of electronic sensors, electric pumps, and hydraulic solenoids controlled by a computer. The computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine and move the vehicle at a low speed in forward or reverse. When the self-test occurs, you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of any malfunction..."

In the Owner's Manual, Starting and driving [5-22] regarding the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) System: "The computer has a built in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine ... When the self-test occurs, you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of malfunction."

This must be what my service guy was talking about. And note that this ONLY occurs once (if at all) during an engine run (start/stop cycle). It does not/should not occur multiple times after the engine has already been started, and should not occur every time you accelerate.

-T

Old 08-08-2003, 02:27 PM

Don't think I have a "clunk" here.
You know, I thought it was like the sound of a diverter flap swinging open in my muffler.....early in rpm cycle and very faint and metalllic.
Dg coupe
auto

Old 08-08-2003, 03:01 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tmoney - yes, that probably is the noise that you and I are experiencing. I have had other cars that have floating brake calipers and they reposition when the car first moves and make a clunk clunk. However, from what you posted it seems that what we are hearing is from the ABS testing. I just wouldn't call it a mechanical clunk, it seems more like an electronic buzz to me. But I have felt it in the brake pedal, so I am sure you have solved it! It is always surprising when a new car does something that no other car you have had did!!.