G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Ram intakes (other than Z-tube) on G35 coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram intakes (other than Z-tube) on G35 coupe?

Hey guys,
I'm interested in putting some sort of intake (not a CAI) on my 04 Coupe. I've e-mailed a guy selling a new K&N aircharger for a 350z on ebay a couple of times trying to confirm fitment (as it only says that it fits a 3.5 V6 from the 350 on the K&N site), but haven't gotten a response... I've decided not to buy it from him, but still want something that will give me a little more than the Z-tube. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you're talking about two seperate things. There is an air filter, and then there is the ram air piping.

The filter you need is any 3 (or 3.5 not sure) inch cone air filter. The filter can be K&N or any other brand, and can be bought at most car parts stores.

The Ram Air Tube (or piping) is the one you will need a correct fitment on. The Z tube will fit for sure, and some of those immatation ebay ones MIGHT. IMO, the tube is 75 dollars brand new from the dealer, cheaper if you can find one on the boards. It's not worth the 20 or 30 dollars you'll save to go with a immatation, made in Bangledesh brand.

Hope that answers your questions.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I was probably a little unclear... the K&N intake I'm looking at is $250ish... I'm not trying to save money, I'm trying to get the best I can without a remote filter. Hopefuly this will clarify. thanks

Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by devenyi
I was probably a little unclear... the K&N intake I'm looking at is $250ish... I'm not trying to save money, I'm trying to get the best I can without a remote filter. Hopefuly this will clarify. thanks
250 for a filter???? that can't be, I bought my Cold Air Intake for 200. Piping, Filter, everything. The filter itself should be like 30 or 40 dollars.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:52 PM
THE BATMOBILE
yea 250 for a filter is way off

Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
SFR is about to have a Ram Intake system. we are gonna use mine as the donor car. should have it done next week.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:10 PM
With the exception of importroller's response, the other responses were great examples of not reading what I said, so if any can help me, I'd really appreciate it... i just want the best intake that doesn't require a remote filter location.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 PM
man honestly... these are my suggestions. there are no real gains from intake. The CAI's and ztube will give about the same gain... its mainly done for sound. There is no real difference in power. I have seen identical g35's with only difference being ztube/cai.. and the ztube or even a STOCK g35 (same years) have beaten out cai/ztube... my point being that these are for sound or looks. If you want something chrome and shiny in your engine bay, then go for the ram air. If you just want the sound, just get the ztube. I would personally go for ztube and K&N air filter if i were you. The K&N simply takes the place of your filter that you currently have in the car.

If i misread too im sorry, but it sounds like you want to keep the stock location of your airfilter, but want to replace the piping. Is this correct?

Old 11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
I bought an Injen 2 piece short ram/cold air intake off my friend for $160. Looks great and sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I ordered a z-tube & pop-charger off of everythingg35.com ... I'll let you guys know what I think when i get it. thanks for the input.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread (like i care)

Some assspie at infiniti told me something about if you replace your filter and break the freaking.... air ...trying to remember... i dunno, some 600$ part if you replace your intake withsomething that doesn't like completely fit

your in the hole for 600$

can someone clear this up for my fuzzy memory?

Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
I would be willing to say he was talking about the MAS air flow sensor

Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtrain
Not meaning to hijack the thread (like i care)

Some assspie at infiniti told me something about if you replace your filter and break the freaking.... air ...trying to remember... i dunno, some 600$ part if you replace your intake withsomething that doesn't like completely fit

your in the hole for 600$

can someone clear this up for my fuzzy memory?

I think this is what he was refering to. The new z-tube & filter clamp can rub on the a/c line that passes close to that area. See pics. Some members have had their "mod" rub its way through the lightweight piping. That particular pipe is pretty long & snakes all over the place. Just put a plastic sleeve over it to protect it fron rubbing. I also changed that weird nissan clamp to a simple worm drive clamp.

Attached Thumbnails Ram intakes (other than Z-tube) on G35 coupe?-dscf0039g35.jpg  

Last edited by baileyrx; 11-01-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
that same thing happened with my altima. a rubber covering over the ac tubing stopped the problem

Old 11-02-2005, 04:16 AM
i doubt he was talking about the ac line problem that i have heard from ONE user on this forum and that was maybe about a year and a half ago.. it may be more widespread than that, but this guy was probably talking about your MAF (mass air flow sensor)... it will connect between your ztube and popcharger. The thing he is probably talking about is not oiling your air filter too much. When you spray down your pop charger (every oil change at least... or about 3k miles i believe) It will come oiled and make sure you look at it and get a good idea of how it should look when you do it yourself the next time. I have done mine 4 times (ive had it on since 1k miles and currently have 15k), and its still going strong and i love it. I'm pretty sure it comes with instructions on care, but i looked on Jim wolf tech's site for proper care of the air filter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ram intakes (other than Z-tube) on G35 coupe?