G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Structural Rigidity: How is your coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Structural Rigidity: How is your coupe?

I remembered when I first picked up my car 3 years ago, (exactly 3 years ago actually) I was very impressed at the structual rigidity of the G35 coupe. It fels like a vault carefully welded together. There was no squeaks, no rattles, no body flex and everything felt nice and tight.

3 years later..... the car is still fairly rigid, but nowhere near where it used to be. My sunroof squeaks when I back out of the garage, which is pretty ridiculous. I can actually feel the long wheelbase flex when I drive over a ramp or corner fast. There are some rattles I simply gave up on after awhile. The driver seat is getting loose again after the rail replacement. The doors give a secondary clunk when I close it. I testdrove a 06 the other day and it felt solid, just like how my car once was.

I was wondering if anyone else feels the same about the structure of this car is not quite as solid as it once was. Not as solid compared to say..... a 3 year old German car such as BMW or Mercedes.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Sunroof squeeks quite a bit as well..I feel things flexing and moving as I pull out for the underground parkade where I live...being on P4 helps, I get to here the squeeks for 4 floors before getting outside...
I've only had the car for 4 months...

Last edited by MikeButcher; 11-22-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you're talking about man, it sucks especially because this a relatively expensive car. I bet even a toyaota camry wouldn't squeek and rattle this much. With so much rattleing, it's going to be difficult to sell this car a couple years from now.

As for your sunroof, i took my g to the dealer and the guy simply put a little grease on the rubber that seals around the glass. NOw it doesn'y make any noise.

Mark

Old 11-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Whenever I angle onto or out of a drive way I swear I can feel the car twisting and flexing with the addition of some suspension clunking, ahh the sound of a $40,000 car....

Old 11-22-2005, 03:10 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
same issue here, sunroof creaks whenever i pull up and down the driveway.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, greasing up the sunroof is not quite the problem I am pointing out here. The disturbing part is the body of the coupe twisting on uneven ground.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by Sukairain
I was wondering if anyone else feels the same about the structure of this car is not quite as solid as it once was. Not as solid compared to say..... a 3 year old German car such as BMW or Mercedes.
hehehe. that's why you do a 3-year lease and ditch the b1tch for a new ride before it turns to ****.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I've mainly noticed the suspension getting a little more compliant during hard cornering, etc. No excessive lean/roll or anything, just not as rock-solid and flat. Still no perceptible twist in the chassis. I waited a long time to get a 6MT coupe without a sunroof for the added headroom, better rigidity and lack of sunroof noises.

But I still drive a G35, so even with only 1200 miles on it I have a fair share of rattles (A/C vent and some other really annoying one that buzzes right into my brain but I can't locate... ...like a buzz but with more of a *tick* sound to the buzzing). The first 700 miles were so solid and rattle-free that I thought I was extremely lucky.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Sunroof pops even though it has been lubed at dealer a couple of times (it's quiet for a couple of weeks after that), but the car feels very solid, no rattles or squeeks at 37K miles, however, I now have an annoying air leak which starts at 70ish on both windows where the front meets the rear in the upper corners.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:01 PM
allright, I can't take it anymore. I've read too many posts where people drool over the rigidity, lack of rattles, excellent maintenance and performance of BMW's. I've owned a BMW, and after 5 years, I can say that there are plenty of rattles and the maintenance on the vehicle is rediculously expensive and quite repetative. The BMW was probably the worst car I've ever owned due to the fact that it was in the shop monthly...and that's not because it was driven hard. And this isn't an isolated case. I know a number of people who've had similar issues. Now, not to say that BMW is crap, it really isn't, I'd take an M3 in a second. I just think that the differences between the G and say a 3 series aren't as prevalent as one might think by reading the posts.

Sorry...I just couldn't take it anymore...now that I have it off my chest, I can go enjoying my G.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:27 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My friends IS300 has suspension creak like you wouldn't believe. The interior is quiet though. I haven't really noticed much flex in the chassis.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by hubertyG35
allright, I can't take it anymore. I've read too many posts where people drool over the rigidity, lack of rattles, excellent maintenance and performance of BMW's. I've owned a BMW, and after 5 years, I can say that there are plenty of rattles and the maintenance on the vehicle is rediculously expensive and quite repetative. The BMW was probably the worst car I've ever owned due to the fact that it was in the shop monthly...and that's not because it was driven hard. And this isn't an isolated case. I know a number of people who've had similar issues. Now, not to say that BMW is crap, it really isn't, I'd take an M3 in a second. I just think that the differences between the G and say a 3 series aren't as prevalent as one might think by reading the posts.

Sorry...I just couldn't take it anymore...now that I have it off my chest, I can go enjoying my G.
I also heard lots people say BMW's reliabilty isn't as good as you think it is.

Maybe I should buy a M6 see if how it rattles

Old 11-22-2005, 01:52 PM
After reading the comparo in this month's Speed Magazine between the G35 Sedan, IS350 and the BMW 3-series, I was happy to see that the G and IS both ranked higher than the BMW in terms of interior creature comforts and fit/finish. The BMW only ranked first due to it's superb engine, drivetrain and suspension that contribute to a better overall driving experience (even though it's slower and less powerful). I've never been into BMW's, so the pic of the interior was the first time I've seen the inside of the new 3-series. It really looks like ****, and I'm a car guy way before I'm a loyal G-35 owner.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:55 PM
well work harder people!
because GTR is coming haha

Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Same roof squeak here- feels like the upper body flexing. With 2 BMW's in the family (dad and sis)- I don't see them aging any better than my G35. My dad's 330ci rattles and squeaks all over the place- same with my sisters 540- and they both have fewer miles than my G .

I don't think any true "performance" cars age well. By definition, "performance" cars are built to exact tolerances and built to be light- no sound-deadening materials, no extra padding or fillers in gaps, etc. I used to have an LS400 Lexus- and it was still solid and quiet after 75,000 miles- but it handled like a beach ball on the deck of a cruise ship (terrible). I'll take the squeaks with the performance of my G, personally.

Why do you think racing teams rebuild a car from the ground up after every race??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Structural Rigidity: How is your coupe?