First Oil Change ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes

Originally Posted by heeb
loaner for an oil change?^
Actually yes I always get a loaner. Mainly because I leave the car overnight after work and pick it up after work the next day, or have other warranty issues looked at. I usually change my oil every 3k miles, so I stopped worrying and changing it myself a while back, although I always double check the dealer after, and check myself if the oil was actually changed and that my tire pressure is correct.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertRat
Yeah, I hate all those little screws. It doubles the time to do the oil change. If I remember correctly it is possible to drain the oil with the skid plate on. There was a little cut out beneath the drain bolt. Wasn't there? Either way, you need to take it off for the oil filter. Real pain, but worth it.
Yes there is an opening where the drain plug is.

I did the oil change without removing the underpanel. To remove the filter all you have to do is attach a swivel attachment to the oil filter socket, use an extension and there is actually a corner opening that you can see where the filter is where you would insert your extension through and slowly turn till the filter to loosen it, let the oil drip straight down but do not remove the oil filter till the oil is done dripping. When the oil filter is done dripping oil just take a small sandwich bag and cover the oil filter and loosen by hand. and voila done.
If you are concerned about making a mess just stick a small shop rag under neath the area of the filter near the drain plug area just don't cover the opening where it can drain out from. Ill take pics next time i do an oil change.

Last edited by nikko; 11-30-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by nikko
Yes there is an opening where the drain plug is.

I did the oil change without removing the underpanel. To remove the filter all you have to do is attach a swivel attachment to the oil filter socket, use an extension and there is actually a corner opening that you can see where the filter is where you would insert your extension through and slowly turn till the filter to loosen it, let the oil drip straight down but do not remove the oil filter till the oil is done dripping. When the oil filter is done dripping oil just take a small sandwich bag and cover the oil filter and loosen by hand. and voila done.
If you are concerned about making a mess just stick a small shop rag under neath the area of the filter near the drain plug area just don't cover the opening where it can drain out from. Ill take pics next time i do an oil change.
You do this every time? Is it worth it? Seems like it would take a long time for the oil to drain out of the oil filter. I couldn't get straight at it, so figured it couldn't be done but I stand corrected. As much of a pain as it is, I think I will still just unbolt the 20 screws. I'd like to see some pics though.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by DesertRat
You do this every time? Is it worth it? Seems like it would take a long time for the oil to drain out of the oil filter. I couldn't get straight at it, so figured it couldn't be done but I stand corrected. As much of a pain as it is, I think I will still just unbolt the 20 screws. I'd like to see some pics though.
Well this was my first time changing the oil in the G. We only put over 1000 some miles right now. But i went onto g-owners website and looked at their DIY and noticed the 20 some screws to remove and was surprised by the many screws to remove the underpanel. So as i looked underneath the drainplug area and the corner area where you can view the oil filter it clicked in my head that i can try another method of removing the oil filter and draining it out. It was more so trial and error and fortunately it worked the first time with little mess involved. Is it worth it for me to do this, for me yes. This oil change was my first for this car. I mostly worked on my bmws before and changing them were done so quick because there was no underpanel to remove nor was the filter located underneath. So changing the G's oil was a bit longer then normal for me. But being that i know how to do it makes me more comfortable to work faster and cleaner the next time around.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dkhuynh
DO NOT BUY OEM NISSAN/INFINITI FILTERS! Like partyman said, someone did a good article on it. Umm durno bout forum to forum linking, but you can find out more information on www.norcalg.com
The Nissan filter looks like it uses foam media... interesting. In any case, regardless of who makes these filters, they are made to Nissan spec (flow rate and filtering criteria being the main ones). Honda uses Fram as one of their makers and it's clearly labeled "Made by Fram", however, there are differences from that and the standard Fram stock. An example is the gasket shape, Honda specs a "P" shaped gasket (cross section), Frams are usually square. Bottom line is that Nissan (or any other manufacturer) cannot blame or argue warranty coverage by using OEM parts. I also doubt they would spec a poorly made filter for something so simple, yet critical to engine life.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe it cuts down the engine's life right after the warranty expires so you have to buy a new car O.o

Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Banned
If that were true, Nissan would lose serious business and be in the ranks of its domestic counterparts in terms of reliability and resale value. Sales would come crashing down and Nissan would go bankrupt. The VQ35 is a common motor across the Nisssan/Infiniti line. I'm sure this filter is used in more than just the 350Z/G35.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:46 AM
I use some freakin expensives synthetic brand... I can't remember the name off the top of my head though...