G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

First Oil Change ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool First Oil Change ?

Sup guys and girls, i have A 05 with 3000k and its time for first oil change, what oil do i use? brand and weight? and what is the best filter? should i get filter direst from infiniti?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infiniti

Let Infiniti do it, and enjoy the loaner.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
loaner for an oil change?^

Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
1st Oil change

I had my local Nissan dealer do it. There's only 1 Inifiniti dealer in the area and I don't like them (didn't even buy the car from them). Nissan dealer put in pennzoil 10w30, $26.99.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boy35
Sup guys and girls, i have A 05 with 3000k and its time for first oil change, what oil do i use? brand and weight? and what is the best filter? should i get filter direst from infiniti?
Put in what the dealer uses....it'll be 5W30 or 10W30 dino. Too soon for synthetic.
I used the Maxima filter since it's larger than the OEM.
C.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM
I have 2980 now, I thought we should wait til 3500 miles for first oil change.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Its not a loaner and i can have my garage do it cheaper if i buy the oil and filter thats why i asked what type of oil do i need and what kind of filter

Old 11-29-2005, 05:56 PM
I changed my oil myself. with castrol 5w30 NON SYNTHETIC. for my first oil change. and i went to the Nissan Dealer told them i needed an oil filter for an 05 g35 and a crush washer for the drain plug. Went to Wal-Mart and got me some Castrol 5w30 and was good to go.

My dealer sent me a card in regards to a 3500 mile oil change as well. By the way i changed out mines in the first 500 miles to get rid of any fine metal flakes that may be floating during my break in period, sure enough when i changed it i found very fine sparkles in the oil and it was not just the reflection of the sun gleaming into my oil pan. Now my engine is free of any metal flakes from my breakin period and everything is running much smoother and stronger in my engine. My first visit will be in January 06 to get my oil changed out and to get what ever necessary fluids checked out.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
It depends on your climate as to what type you use. They recommend 5W30 for all climates, but you can use 10W30 as well if you live in a warm place that doesn't see temps that are below freezing.

I use Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic.

Make sure you use a good oil filter. Do not buy a Fram, or the crappy OEM ones from the dealer.

I recommend the Purolator PureOne oil filters. They are about 6 bucks each and are fantastic. Supposedly the absolute best oil filter out there is the Mobil 1 performance Oil Filters... but the will run you around 12-14 bucks each.

The Purolator Pure One filter is the best filter out there for the money.

There is a huuuge writeup about it on 6mt.net. DHolly did a tear down and complete analysis of the Purolator Pure One, Mobil1 filters and the OEM(Cardboard material) Nissan/Infiniti filters.

You'd be amazed at how crappy the OEM ones are(same goes for FRAM).

Old 11-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Same as nikko here. Do it myself, and at 500 miles, and oil from Walmart. Still do it myself and wont pay someone for something so easy.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nikko
I changed my oil myself. with castrol 5w30 NON SYNTHETIC. for my first oil change. and i went to the Nissan Dealer told them i needed an oil filter for an 05 g35 and a crush washer for the drain plug. Went to Wal-Mart and got me some Castrol 5w30 and was good to go.
DO NOT BUY OEM NISSAN/INFINITI FILTERS! Like partyman said, someone did a good article on it. Umm durno bout forum to forum linking, but you can find out more information on www.norcalg.com

Old 11-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by dkhuynh
DO NOT BUY OEM NISSAN/INFINITI FILTERS! Like partyman said, someone did a good article on it. Umm durno bout forum to forum linking, but you can find out more information on www.norcalg.com
Ill remember that next time when i do my oil changes. thanks for the tip guys!

I have to wonder why Nissan/Infiniti would use such a product in disguise after reading the above site. It almost makes me scared to take my car to the dealer for them to check everything out. I bought this car with warranty for the purpose so that if i didnt have time to change my own oil i can always take it to the dealer and let them do the grimy work. I think what would also worry me is if i gave them the proper oil filter would they actually use it in my car or would they try to switch it with a stock oem filter and keep the good filter. Welps looks like ill be doing ALL the oil changes.

Last edited by nikko; 11-30-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by nikko
I think what would also worry me is if i gave them the proper oil filter would they actually use it in my car or would they try to switch it with a stock oem filter and keep the good filter. Welps looks like ill be doing ALL the oil changes.
That's something that a small sketchy garage might do or a 10 minute oil change place(they might be able to sell your expensive oil filter to someon else at a high price).. but I highly doubt an Infiniti dealer would do that because they don't stock those types of filters and the Infiniti name has a lot to lose by taking a chance like that for such a little possible gain.

You could always put your car up on ramps for a minute after getting the oil changed, and look through the hole in the diffuser/skid-plate under the engine to see if the filter that you gave them is on there. Just shine a flashlight in and it should be almost directly above your motor oil drain plug(maybe slightly more towards the front of the car).

It mounts sideways too... so you can see if there is any writing on it, but you should be able to tell what filter it is just by color(I'm pretty sure Nissan filters are white, Mobil 1's are Grey, Purolators Pure-ONE's are bright blue with sparkles in the paint).

If you do your own oil though.... heed our warnings that it does take forever. I think there are 20 screws that you need to remove in order to drop the skid plate beneath the engine.

Skid Plate Removal: 15-20 minutes
Oil drain and refill and filter replacement: 10-15 minutes
Skid Plate Reinstall: 15-20 minutes

If you have access to a lift, you could probably get away with removing the pop-rivet and maybe 4 to 6 of those 20 screws and letting the back endof the skid plate hang down... but if you're just using rhino ramps, you'll have to drop the whole plate.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I hate all those little screws. It doubles the time to do the oil change. If I remember correctly it is possible to drain the oil with the skid plate on. There was a little cut out beneath the drain bolt. Wasn't there? Either way, you need to take it off for the oil filter. Real pain, but worth it.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Be sure to save all your receipts and document when you changed your oil. Infiniti recommends changes every 3,750 miles and may attempt to void your warranty on related issues if it's done less frequently than that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change ?