G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Blown tire hit me on highway need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown tire hit me on highway need help

I was on the highway on the way home when a Black Camry infront of me started slamming his brakes. As soon as I saw him brake I was braking along with him about 2-3 cars length behind. As soon as I noticed a blown tire was flying towards my G. I managed to avoid most of it, but it hit my front driver side bumper, cracking it near the corner light, putting burn marks in the bumper and also cracking off a piece of the bumper near the wheel well. I have never been in any accidents before so if anyone with similar experiences can chime in I would be grateful. I have a $1000 deductible and I don't even know if it is worth claiming or just buying a new body kit with that money. Any help with prior experiences Thanks in advance!

Old 12-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Get a nice Vinyl Graphic and cover it.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gqong
I was on the highway on the way home when a Black Camry infront of me started slamming his brakes. As soon as I saw him brake I was braking along with him about 2-3 cars length behind. As soon as I noticed a blown tire was flying towards my G. I managed to avoid most of it, but it hit my front driver side bumper, cracking it near the corner light, putting burn marks in the bumper and also cracking off a piece of the bumper near the wheel well. I have never been in any accidents before so if anyone with similar experiences can chime in I would be grateful. I have a $1000 deductible and I don't even know if it is worth claiming or just buying a new body kit with that money. Any help with prior experiences Thanks in advance!
Check out the replacement cost of a new bumper. Shouldn't be as much as your deductible.
Sorry for your mishap.
C.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
As far as your insurance goes its not worth making a claim with a deductible that high. You should have gotten the camry's insurance information and placed a claim against him.... It was his tire and his fault.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beowulf
You should have gotten the camry's insurance information and placed a claim against him.... It was his tire and his fault.
Um......I think he was just trying to dodge it also......prob a big 18 wheeler retread.

Prob better to just fix it yourself than file the insurance claim.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
As far as your insurance goes its not worth making a claim with a deductible that high. You should have gotten the camry's insurance information and placed a claim against him.... It was his tire and his fault.
Yeah it wasn't the Camry's tire. She was trying to avoid it as well. Thanks for the help guys it looks like I am just at a loss .

Old 12-05-2005, 07:35 PM
pay it out of your pocket. insurance claim isn't a good idea in your situation.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:05 PM
I think you can get a oem bumper for under $200 and then paint will be $300. Pay out of pocket.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan_K
I think you can get a oem bumper for under $200 and then paint will be $300. Pay out of pocket.
+1
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...05&catalogid=2

Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 PM
You may want to make a claim with your insurance company. If the tire was in the air when it hit you, it should fall under comprehensive, which doesn't have a deductible under most policies. I know this because I just cracked the grill on my wife's Mazda 3 with an airborne piece of fibreboard on the highway. The insurance company cut me a check for the full amount and did not require any deductible. If the tire was on the ground, however, it probably falls under collision and will require you to pay a deductible. Just call your insurance agent and check.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I just went through the same situation about a week ago and my deductible was also $1000. I had to pay out of pocket to get the bumper repatched and painted. I hit a broken bumper and it scratched up my bumper, fender and rim. I was able to get the bumper, fender, and door repatched and touched up for $600. The shop did a very good job, cannot tell where the scratch was. Depends on the color of your car, you may not have to get a new bumper, and might only have to paint the bumper. My was a brilliant silver so the shop had to paint the surrounding area to get the tone of silver to match up. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:31 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was on the highway one day and I saw a piece of tire in the road come up from under the car infront of me. It was too late to dodge it so i just had to cringe and go over it and then i saw it fly UP from under my car and hit the hood then windshield of the Audi behind me!!

Sorry, off topic but i thought i would share.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Great site! Thanks!

Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsh198
You may want to make a claim with your insurance company. If the tire was in the air when it hit you, it should fall under comprehensive...
I second that motion. BTW...it doesn't hurt to ask your insurance company anyways. And if they do find it to be under collision, screw that and buy yourself a bodykit. At least then you could hook up some real driving lights on the bottom instead of the crappy highbeam ones

Old 12-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for site, a good one for replacing parts. I think at this point all I can do is take the hit. I called my insurance and they said the airborne tire was not fully covered and I would still have to pay my deductible. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think what I am gonna do is wait out the winter and get a body kit ready when Spring rolls around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blown tire hit me on highway need help