Loud ticking noise from engine , help me out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud ticking noise from engine , help me out

facts:

2004 G35 coupe 6 MT - only 12,000 miles

First time I have not started her for a week period.. After this 1 week period ( as I was out of town for the holidays) I started her up this morning.. Loud "TICK TICK TICK" sound coming from the engine.. I was scared to death ! First thing I thought of was someone put sugar in my gastank, LOL ..

The loud ticking stopped after a couple minutes of turning off then restarting the car .The ticking gradually got quieter as the time passed on.. However initially for the first minute, the guy next to my garage was laughing thinking my car sounded like a piece of sh*t .. Then, I Drove around for a few hours and everything was back to normal, actually it got back to normal after a few minutes as soon as I drove her out of the garage .. However, this event has me very concerned..

Keep in mind it was about 37 degrees on average this past week here. The car was garaged but not heated so it was above freezing but at night at about freezing or just below as I live up north..

Has anyone had this happen ? And what the heck happened to my engine during the initial start-up ? I mean this is a relatively new car and the ticking sounded horrendous. And, if I decide to bring it to the dealer to look at it, what do I tell them that any of you may know of ?

Old 12-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Its no biggie, trust me. It was the contracting of the metals inside your motor from the heat and not being turned on in a while .

Old 12-29-2005, 04:25 PM
No biggie ? Really ? I thought the first thing to avoid concerning engine wear is the contacting of metals ? Every mechanic has told me this. They say "lubrication at all times" is key ..

How can it sound so bad after only 7 days ? Not turning it on after 2 or 3 days its quiet and normal .. What happens after the 3rd and 4th day to make it sound like a sword fight under there ?

Old 12-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Everytime i turn off my car (03 coupe) after riding it around... i hear a ticking noise also for about a minute. I was scared at first but realized its probably just the motor cooling off.

Kenny

Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Ticking noise for a minute after turning the car OFF ?? Whoa, never heard that with any car unless it's a beater from the 70's . Really dude ???

Did you mean after turning it "ON" ?? I am not talking about a slight "cooling off" ticking I am hearing.. When I started her up today after being idle for a week, I heard a ticking that was so loud it could be heard easily 100 yards away

Last edited by TheJudge; 12-29-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by TheJudge
facts:

2004 G35 coupe 6 MT - only 12,000 miles

First time I have not started her for a week period.. After this 1 week period ( as I was out of town for the holidays) I started her up this morning.. Loud "TICK TICK TICK" sound coming from the engine.. I was scared to death ! First thing I thought of was someone put sugar in my gastank, LOL ..

The loud ticking stopped after a couple minutes of turning off then restarting the car .The ticking gradually got quieter as the time passed on.. However initially for the first minute, the guy next to my garage was laughing thinking my car sounded like a piece of sh*t .. Then, I Drove around for a few hours and everything was back to normal, actually it got back to normal after a few minutes as soon as I drove her out of the garage .. However, this event has me very concerned..

Keep in mind it was about 37 degrees on average this past week here. The car was garaged but not heated so it was above freezing but at night at about freezing or just below as I live up north..

Has anyone had this happen ? And what the heck happened to my engine during the initial start-up ? I mean this is a relatively new car and the ticking sounded horrendous. And, if I decide to bring it to the dealer to look at it, what do I tell them that any of you may know of ?
Switch to Mobil1 oil, the ticking was caused by a dry valvetrain and went away after the oil circulated again... When you sit a car up the oil drains back down into the pan, but good oil keeps everything coated well and will prime and build pressure as soon as you start the engine... Trust me, if you switch to Mobil1, you will never have this problem... I learned this years ago.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:51 PM
htown, I am using Mobil1 synthetic . Ever since the car was new

Old 12-29-2005, 04:58 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ticking noise for a minute after turning the car OFF ?? Whoa, never heard that with any car unless it's a beater from the 70's . Really dude ???

Did you mean after turning it "ON" ?? I am not talking about a slight "cooling off" ticking I am hearing.. When I started her up today after being idle for a week, I heard a ticking that was so loud it could be heard easily 100 yards away

It happened because all the oil had drained off the valvetrain, and on start-up after a week, there is no oil pressure for a few seconds.
This happens occasionally, and apart from installing a pre-lube system on your engine, there's not much you can do about it.
It sounds much worse than it is.
C.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks MS, I feel alot better about it.. One thing for sure is I will be starting her every 2 days at least throughout winter

Old 12-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ticking after turning the engine off was most likely from the exhaust pipes and various heat shields cooling. Not like the run-on, knock from the older cars.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Yes Gt-Ron, that's the word, I heard a loud "knocking" after turning the car on this morning for a few minutes..

By contrast, I have a 1994 Dodge Intrepid with 200k miles and never heard such knocking in all those years.. Weird

Old 12-29-2005, 06:02 PM
htown, I am using Mobil1 synthetic . Ever since the car was new
I would bring it to the dealer, if your hearing this with Mobil1 after the car just sitting for a week, there is something wrong... There is a checkvalve in the oilpump that should keep most of the oil from draining back for a long perioud of time so the pump dont loose its prime etc. Maybe there is a problem there.