G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

For those who've done the MD plenum spacer..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you run into a clearance problem with the 1/2" ?

Old 01-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hutch
Do you run into a clearance problem with the 1/2" ?
Clearance problem where?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Clearance problem where?
Between the engine cover & the hood.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Be sure to recheck all the bolts in a week or so as recommended in the install instructions. All the centre bolts in mine were loose but the perimeter ones were fine.
Thanks, Deane . . . I haven't rechecked the plenum bolts, yet.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Deane,

Thank you again for the heads up. All of my perimeter bolts were find at 100 inch-lbs. However, 4 out 6 of the center bolts were some 1+ turns loose at 60 inch-lbs. Thank you!

Old 01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andy2434
Deane,

Thank you again for the heads up. All of my perimeter bolts were find at 100 inch-lbs. However, 4 out 6 of the center bolts were some 1+ turns loose at 60 inch-lbs. Thank you!
are you talking about the bolts on the upper plenum? because i really don't feel like disassembling the entire thing to check the lower plenum and intake manifold gasket :/

Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
are you talking about the bolts on the upper plenum? because i really don't feel like disassembling the entire thing to check the lower plenum and intake manifold gasket :/
Yes, the 6(six) center bolts on top of the upper collector, which were originally torqued to 60 inch-lbs. All of the perimeter bolts were just find on my G. The perimeter bolts were torqued to 100 inch-lbs . . . As were the 6(six) lower collector bolts. So, I am condident that the lower collector bolts are just fine.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:49 PM
interesting; i guess i'll be checking it next week.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hutch
Between the engine cover & the hood.
You need to leave the engine cover off.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 AM
I've searched the forums and I see that everyone seems to really like the MD spacers. This make me want one. I am about to order the 5/16 iso thermal myself. I see on MD website that there is an increase of about 10-12 horsepower. That seems too optimistic to me, but I see from everyone's posts that you guys all "feel" more power and "hear" louder sounds. I realize I have AT so I kno the MREV will be much more of an increase in power.

From my experience with the Mercedes w211 e55 amg, I added an evosport intake plenum spacer (about 5/16 inch thick), and when we tested the air charge temperature it was about 20-25 degrees F cooler under normal driving conditions. We drove it around town and then teh highway. We also dynoed before and after and tested the temp readings before and after. We let the car cool down for an hour before install and dyno tes drive. I only gained 2-3 rwhp on one run and 1-2 rwhp on the other runs. So i guess it does add power, but only a little bit.

So, does anyone have an actual dyno of before and after? Or any dyno to prove that these spacers actually increase the claimed power?

Either way, do you guys think i should purchase the MD spacers?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Different car, different engine, can you really compare it to the G's mod?

Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by sun55amg
I've searched the forums and I see that everyone seems to really like the MD spacers. This make me want one. I am about to order the 5/16 iso thermal myself. I see on MD website that there is an increase of about 10-12 horsepower. That seems too optimistic to me, but I see from everyone's posts that you guys all "feel" more power and "hear" louder sounds. I realize I have AT so I kno the MREV will be much more of an increase in power.

From my experience with the Mercedes w211 e55 amg, I added an evosport intake plenum spacer (about 5/16 inch thick), and when we tested the air charge temperature it was about 20-25 degrees F cooler under normal driving conditions. We drove it around town and then teh highway. We also dynoed before and after and tested the temp readings before and after. We let the car cool down for an hour before install and dyno tes drive. I only gained 2-3 rwhp on one run and 1-2 rwhp on the other runs. So i guess it does add power, but only a little bit.

So, does anyone have an actual dyno of before and after? Or any dyno to prove that these spacers actually increase the claimed power?

Do a search in the engine mod section you will find plenty of dyno runs that will give proof that the MD spacer works. I was at 2 dyno runs so I know the mods work. Without the Iso Thermal it was a modest 8-9HP gain and I have a 5AT.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:45 PM

Well. 10-12hp isn't being optimistic. There are dyno sheets proving this gain. The reason why this spacer works better on the 350z/G35 than on other vehicles is because of the slope intake on the VQ35 motor which starves cylinders 1 and 2 from air and fuel. The spacer greatly reduces this starvation.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 PM
sounds like the plenum spacer is a good buy. This might be my next mod.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:33 PM

you can't compare a dyno from car A to car B for similar mods.

That's like saying, well, adding an intake to an 03 cobra adds like 20rwhp, so it will do that to mine as well.

there is a definate increase in power. for example, now in 1st gear I can kick the rear end out and make it go squirly with enough gas. before i couldn't do that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those who've done the MD plenum spacer..