G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 coupe Auto 5 speed/manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Vad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe Auto 5 speed/manual

Ok so im getting a 5 speed tip tronic instead of manual, i mean why woudlnt you want to be able to choose between both of them? You can downshift whenever you'd like, and when u dont feel like it, u can just pop it back to auto, i dont see why you would chooose stick, unless its a personal favor u like cause you've been driving it or something. I myself right now drive a Rx300, and I know this car like no other, it mite be an SUV but i know the car really well, and i can change gears pretty dam nice, if i get to know the G35c for about 5-6 months, itll be just as good as stick, even though it mite not be 6 speed, i dont think ittll be a big dif, plus you get to choose between auto and manual. Gime some of your opinions on why you would and why you wouldnt take it..

Soon to be [5sTip G35c/Dgraphite/charcoal int.]

Old 12-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Re: G35 coupe Auto 5 speed/manual

Although the modern auto trannies do a much better job of both transferring the most possible power to the rear wheels as well as giving you more control than in past "slush-0-matics," there is simply no substitute for a true manual transmission with a CLUTCH.

Old 12-26-2002, 03:44 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh man, Ditto on the A/T. I've had enough of shifting . Now I can just sit back and relax if I want. Or get more involved as the mood hits me. The speeds of the A/T and 6MT aren't a whole lot different anyway and there's certainly enough punch with the 'slush box'. So don't feel you have to 'explain'---- there's more of us automatic lovers out there than you might think. 6 Speed rocks but then so does 5............Later

Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan)

Old 12-26-2002, 03:57 PM

A few reasons why I would NOT choose an automatic

1)Think as you want that the same power is getting to the wheels and as responsively .... it's not.
2)Autos have slower acceleration - as long as you know how to drive a stick pretty well.
3)More direct feel - this is a sport's car.
4)Better gas mileage (although, it always depends on how you drive the car) Manuals don't take any power to run - autos do.

But, don't get me wrong. If you feel like the auto is more your style, go for it. To each his own. You will become part of the majority in America. It won't be a noticeable difference in terms of acceleration unless the stick driver knows how to launch and is quick at shifting.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)

Old 12-26-2002, 05:10 PM

I feel like 6speed manuals are the way to go just for the sporty feel, however im lazy and i like automatics

<font color=green> . . : : pestilence : : . .
2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan .... sports/sunroof </font color=green>

Old 12-26-2002, 06:13 PM

It all depends who you are and where you drive I think. I got an Auto because well in Vegas, we just dont have alot of places where a stick is useful. Hell try to FIND an manual out here. Noone sells them (someone does but they are not common place at all. It's really that hard to find). I mean come to vegas buy a truck, tell them you want a stick. The dealer will laught at you and say, In this market? Drive to Kingman or Flagstaff. Maybe even Barstow.

Out here we have 2 1/2 highway / interstate thingies. Thats it. Most of it is over crowded 45 mph road, with too many idiots on it. You will be stopping and going and no place to open up really (ok well there is 160 but it's 2 lanes and dangerous, and there is a few nice hidden roads we know of but none in your day to day life). I dont think I could handle driving a stick out here daily. It would just... oh man... drive me friggin' insane!

Once again, it's a personal choice. I am just ranting like an idiot now so I will shut up

Hyper "The One, The Only, The Original. Unchanged Since 1979."

Old 12-26-2002, 06:30 PM

I understand what you mean about Vegas man. I was born there and lived there until I was 13 (1993). Now, whenever I go back it just gets more and more crowded. It's roads are much, much worse and crowded than the ones here in Orange County. At least there are a few 2 laners where noone is way out in the desert, but those are getting harder and harder to find out there I hear.

Andrew

Old 12-26-2002, 06:35 PM

I have had a G35 Coupe with the 5-speed auto for almost two months now and unless you are A) professional driver or B) just like a clutch... there is NO reason to get the six speed.

yeah, in the past manuals were the only true peformance option. But, technology has past them by. Ever wonder why ALL Formula one cars and LeMans prototypes (see Audi R8) DON'T have clutches? Because the new electronic manuals are far superior to humans 90% of the time. Unless you are a true professional, I'd be willing to bet that the average driver will get better acceleration times with a great clutchless manual than a stick. Most people think they can consistently hit thier shift points, but even pros miss now and then.

Second, don't forget that if you have the coupe sport package with the LSD, the manumatic is excellent and shifts much like the BMW M3 SMT. Yes, I have driven that car too so I know how it works... exactly like my G35. The only real plus about the BMW is that you can manually adjust your shift points from soft to agressive.

I was so happy when I first got my G35 about how the manual mode works... just like the M3 and not like the other "Tiptronics", etc. out there. Heck, even the G35 sedan's manual mode is completely different from ours from what I have read on this board. So, unless you are just dead set on using a clutch, enjoy shifting when you can and enjoy leaving her in "D" when your stuck in traffic even more so.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:49 PM

yeah, in the past manuals were the only true peformance option. But, technology has past them by. Ever wonder why ALL Formula one cars and LeMans prototypes (see Audi R8) DON'T have clutches? Because the new electronic manuals are far superior to humans 90% of the time.

Don't compare clutchless racing systems in race cars with the manumatic transmissions found in passanger cars. Simply not nearly as fast shifting and not nearly as "smart". Only a few manumatics in the most expensive of cars (Ferrari, Austin Martin) even come somewhat close to doing all the things that those racing systems do (match revs on downshifts, fast response time, staying in gear no matter how long you keep it there). Read some of the articles on the slushbox M3's. Many people greatly dislike it's application.

Andrew

Old 12-26-2002, 07:53 PM
Vad

well ya obviously its not as crazy as the formula 1 computers its not a million dollar car, but im sure the time of auto and manual isnt that much at all..

Soon to be ['03 G35 coupe, D-graphite, Charcoal interior, premium package, 18' company rims, +navi.]

Old 12-26-2002, 07:54 PM

It's still worth a couple tenths to 60 and a few tenths to the quarter.

Andrew

Old 12-26-2002, 08:05 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Vad, Stewa101 is right: the 6 speed is a little quicker a few ticks 0-60 and 1/2 second in the quarter but not enough to sway me away from the A/T. To me the 'slush' is the best of both worlds. Only thing better would be a 6 or 7 A/T- someday.
By the way I'm waiting on the twin of the car you ordered. Mine is due in 2-3 wks. ......... Later

Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan)

Old 12-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Vad

nice, mines not ordered, but im waiting for the dealers to bring it in :| then itll be mine..

Soon to be ['03 G35 coupe, D-graphite, Charcoal interior, premium package, 18' company rims, +navi.]

Old 12-26-2002, 10:51 PM

My personal reasons/observations:

1. I feel that I have more speed control with a manual. If I want to downshift from 5th to 3rd, it's pretty straightforward. I don't want the car to shift to 4th first, figure out that the pedal is still to the floor and then shift to 3rd.

Also I've noticed in the cars I've driven that if I ease off the accelerator in a manual, the car will slow down at a decent rate, whereas the automatic tends to coast more. It's my opinion that the majority of brake happy people on California roads tend to be driving automatics. I find it pretty annoying following behind a person on the freeway who hits the brakes more than twice when traffic is free-flowing.

2. This may sound silly, but for times when I have to drive late at night, it helps keep me awake because it forces me to be more active in driving. I borrowed a friend's automatic recently and felt pretty drowsy behind the wheel.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:51 PM

In the G35 with sport package in manual mode, you have the same engine brake feel like a manual depending on the gear you select, or it will downshift for you as you slow down. In full auto mode, it does coast like a normal auto.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 coupe Auto 5 speed/manual