G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Talk me out of a C5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:24 PM
mcd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk me out of a C5

I really like the body of the C5, but I really like the G35 couple also. Today, I'm leaning towards the G35. So talk me out of a C5 Corvette. Comments?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Re: Talk me out of a C5

Both good cars, in their own way. But surely you are not serious: a Corvette or a G35? One is very refined, very good handling, quick, pretty luxo, good for long trips. The other is THE American icon car, a little harsh at times, a bit less smooth in overall ride and put-together polish, a strong engine and trans. Maybe they're comparable in that they're both cars, and both sporty. But I think that's where the similarity ends---oh, two front seats, too.

It depends on what you want. As one poster said in another thread, if you're comparing the G35 and the Corvette, somewhere down the road (pun intended) you're not going to be happy with the G35.

BONDg35c

Old 08-19-2003, 10:23 PM

If you are going to get a Vette get a Z06 not the plain jane base Vette, they are all over the place.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:04 AM

I agree with FD, if I was gonna get a vette I'd get the Z06. Then again, if my price range was in the $50k + bracket I don't know what I'd get. If I had $50-60k for a car I'd probably get a G and use the left over money to buy a decently restored classic muscle car or convertible for kicks. Thats just me.

Rob
2003 G35C | 5AT | Diamond Graphite | Graphite Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance | Spoiler

Old 08-20-2003, 01:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't decide either, so I got both! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My biggest problem now is deciding which one I want to drive each day. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, they're both great cars, and both drive great and are great looking. Performance-wise, they're not comparable, with the C5 on a whole other performance level, and the Z06 kicking it up a notch beyond that. When I get out of my Z06 and step into my G35C, the G feels downright slow by comparison, and its a quick car!

In terms of subjective/intagible stuff like feel, etc. the two cars are very different. The Z06 is basically a large refined go-kart. It's very loud, raucuos, and in your face. Its pure evil in that its always tempting you to go insanely fast. It feels much lighter and torquier than the G, because it is. Its surprisingly comfortable and easy to drive, but in a laid back, American kind of way. The Z06 has a lighter clutch than the G35, the seats are softer, and the low speed power assist is easier than in the G, giving the car the feel of being very easy to drive around town, depsite its ultimate performance capabilities. The regular C5 is quieter, more refined, but not as fast or athletic.

The G35 is smoother, quieter, and clearly more focused on luxury and features than the Z06 is. It feels heavier, but manages its weight pretty well. The steering is actually slightly quicker than the Z06, which makes it fun. The steering is fantastic in the G. The seats are firmer, and the ride is too. The G35 has more German qualities in the way it feels and drives, with a bit of Japanese refinement that makes it almost antiseptic at times compared to the Z06, which has tons of personality. The power delivery in the G is very smooth and linear - so smooth in fact, that it makes the car feel slower than it really is. You don't feel the speed and acceleration in the G; its deceptive that way. You definitely feel it in the Z06. The G also carries a lot of class and prestige with it - it looks way more expensive than it really is, and many people treat it as a more expensive car. The C5 does too, but its body style has been around a long while now, and while it still looks great, its not as fresh and new as the G35's styling. When the C6 comes out next year, the C5 may look dated all of a sudden.

Just my opinions... I guess I didn't do a good job talking you out of a C5, but I didn't talk you out of a G35 either. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 08-20-2003, 02:44 AM

i considered all sorts of cars including the vette. When i first got my G back in december i took it to the track and it happened to be a special event for corvettes, many of the owners came up to my and told me they were interested in the G35 as a secound car and asked me all sorts of question, non asked if it was my dads, i liked that.

-moooooo

Old 08-20-2003, 02:56 AM

Don't get a C5... wait for the C6. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 08-20-2003, 03:08 AM

agreed

Old 08-20-2003, 06:46 AM

ok Bob i wasnt' tryin to be all disrespectful i was just merely trin to tell u that not everyone hates veilside kit. and btw is the car urs or ur dads? ur msg had mixed meaning to it, just wonderin

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by iChiBahN on 08/20/03 03:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-20-2003, 08:20 AM

Well, I happen to love my C5.....I have the Coupe and love it. The cars are completely different.......TOTALLY!!!!

On my trip to Bowling Green last year, the Vette got 31 miles to the gallon and that included drag racing, some spirited driving, and the round trip back home.

Keep in mind, the Z06 is a Fixed Roof.....the Coupe has the removable top and the Vert...well it's a Vert. You can EASILY mod a Coupe or Vert to have equal or more hp/tq than the Z06. My car is a bit modified but will outperfrom a Z06 easily.

A good point to consider, as mentioned above, is the C6 comes out in 2005. Personally I wouldn't buy a first year production of the Vette....there WILL BE bugs to be worked out by the General. Also the Z06 WILL NOT be offered for the 2005 first year model run.

I'm in sort of the same boat as you. I'm looking to get rid of my truck as my daily driver and get a G35 Coupe. Good luck. If you want to chat a bit about the C5, give me a shout. I love talking cars.

PS: Since the C6 will be coming out soon, you can get amazing deals on the C5. Check out the Corvetteforum.com and you can get some smokin deals from the Forum vendors/dealers......even below or at invoice. Good luck to you.

2001 Corvette Coupe
436 ci LS1 Stroker
Many other mods
477 rwhp/544rwtq

2002 Ford F-150 Supercab Offroad
ATI Supercharged

Old 08-20-2003, 10:47 AM

Buckmaster's post reminded me of one other important thing to consider regarding the C5 vs. the G35: ease and cost of modifications. The C5, because its been out for a number of years, uses inexpensive Chevy V-8 power, and had a large installed base of enthusiastic owners, has a HUGE aftermarket parts availability. You can modify a C5 into anything you want power wise, from mild intake and exhaust parts to 1,000hp 427 twin turbo on juice crazyness. You're only limited by your wallet, the law, and physics. Most parts are relatively inexpensive too (at least compared to German sports cars).

The G35's aftermarket parts availability is limited so far because its a new model. I think it will grow quite a bit over the years, but I don't think it will be as easy or cheap to modify as the C5.

Something to consider if you're into modifying cars, or want to go as quickly as possible for the least amount of money and hassle.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 08-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Premier Member

Don't get a C6.. wait for the C53. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 08-20-2003, 01:50 PM

theres also alot of turbo setups coming into production, and you get that fun psssh sound that will make the corvette owners go.
"awww fudge"
ichibahn you seem to be the worlds biggest meat popsicle.

-moooooo

Old 08-20-2003, 03:56 PM

I chose the G over a C5 (base, with 6-speed, dual roofs, etc).. After driving them both, I chose the G because it rides better and it's just a nicer place to be. The vette (even the base vette) has monstrous performance - I was very impressed with the car from that POV. I just wanted a car that was kind of a blend between a 'Vette and a Lexus. Something refined, yet able to get down and dirty when I wanted it to (and cost less than $60K).

If you're looking for higher performance, go with the C5. I hate the interior (for $50K, you'd think the radio would look different than the one in a Grand Prix). It's just not on a par with the G, but the performance is there in spades.

If you're looking for style and creature comforts, go with the G, take the $15K you'll save and get a procharger and some tech stocks :-)

-- mike

2003 G35C 6MT Leather, BS, Prem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a C5