G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Ever get Understeering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006 | 05:15 AM
|
Ever get Understeering?

the other day i was rolling in the G, and came to a U turn that the light was changing, and I decided to showboat a bit, and as Im approaching the turn the car starts to understeer. Now for me, I haven't experienced this in this car. I have in the altima but not the G. so when I go to turn and the car keeps going straight, it shocked me a bit. But as I adjust a bit I had to slow down and let the car repossision itself, and suddenly i was oversteering. My guess is this was just a matter of me controlling it better rather than parts needing to be upgraded, but still.... I want to know if anyone else gets this problem

Old 02-14-2006 | 05:27 AM
yeah it happend to me i understeered my G slamed and pushed a Mercedes onto the middle of the street then wrapped my front end around a tree.. ..

its weird everytime i try and make a hard turn, the car starts to swirve, how come i cant make nice clean sharp turns

Old 02-14-2006 | 07:14 AM
Any car is going to understeer if you hit a corner too fast.. you need to know the limits of your car... these cars actually oversteer really eaisly, and you really can work the car out of a tight corner with the throttle pretty nicely.

Old 02-14-2006 | 09:16 AM
Or you hit oil or something else slick?

Old 02-14-2006 | 09:27 AM
the g35, like most cars on the road, are designed to understeer at the limit for your own safety.

if you want to induce oversteer, you can probably do so with sway bars, tires, shocks,etc. but swaybars alone would probably do it.

as far as the car's behavior goes, the G is pretty good out the box. id hate to say it but the best way to get the most out of the car is to probably get the best driving education you can...

Old 02-14-2006 | 10:14 AM
understeer on a RWD... NAAAAH

Old 02-14-2006 | 03:00 PM
I drive pretty aggressively in the G. With about 2K miles on my OEM tires, the excessive stick they had when new is simply not there. They show plenty of tread remaining. Rears break easily, and the other day I noticed a slight feeling of push/squirm from the fronts while turning. The tires definately aren't what they used to be.

Old 02-14-2006 | 03:25 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Staff Alumni
Autocross once and you will see how notorious the coupe is at underseering. Like a plow basically.

Old 02-14-2006 | 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by afr0puff
Autocross once and you will see how notorious the coupe is at underseering. Like a plow basically.
ding ding ding

Old 02-14-2006 | 04:21 PM
I agree with you 'Puff..the G in it's stock form understeers when pushed in a turn...I experianced this (as usuall) the other day on my trip down the 18 in the San Berdu mnts..strange thing was that day a motorcycle PASSED me (unfreakinbelievable I NEVER get passed on this road!) on the way down...few turns later I came upon the accident..off duty law enforcement officer 23 years old on a black suzuki?...drifted into the oncoming traffic and ate a lexus SUV head-on then proceded to fly off the mountian...needless to say he died..

Old 02-15-2006 | 10:11 AM
^^^ Ouch!! i've too must agree when pushed into a turn... the front wheels dont bite the trun they wash... i need sways!

Old 02-15-2006 | 11:29 AM
The G understeers in tight turns such as in an AutoX situation. Most modern cars are setup to understeer for safety reason. If you guys constantly get understeer going into a corner, then please take a driving school course first. It's one thing to bank into a AutoX hairpin knowing you will understeer, it's another story to plow through an intersection 'shocked' that your vehicle understeered.

Old 02-15-2006 | 01:57 PM
EZZ
Also, you if want to get rid of understeer, get equal size tires front and back. The stagger setup actually causes more understeer. There was a great article on how to get the 350z to get more neutral handling and they solved the problem with bigger sways and by removing the stagger.

Old 02-15-2006 | 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Sukairain
The G understeers in tight turns such as in an AutoX situation. Most modern cars are setup to understeer for safety reason. If you guys constantly get understeer going into a corner, then please take a driving school course first. It's one thing to bank into a AutoX hairpin knowing you will understeer, it's another story to plow through an intersection 'shocked' that your vehicle understeered.
My G will start to slide the front out on hi speed sweepers..there are no intersections on the road I drive...I've never encountered understeer in the city as i'm never driving fast 'nuff to slide as I take a corner intown.

driving school won't help the fact that the car understeers....but a good rear sway will!

Old 02-16-2006 | 06:18 AM
As mentioned above, equal width front/rear tires and stiffer sways with rear bias would help cure that unwanted understeer. Still, at low speed corners, there is not much you can do with a 3500lb vehicle with 112" wheelbase. (except perhaps power slide, which is not recommended)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ever get Understeering?