G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Horrible rattle from steering wheel area! Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible rattle from steering wheel area! Help!

Hey,
I did a search on this, and it seems there are other rattles but not this.

I have this horrible!!! rattle that like shakes my whole steering wheel and the top black plastic cover over the speedometer real bad...it makes a squeaking noise too while going over bumps or roads that aren't perfectly smooth...

I brought it to my dealer 3 times already and they replaced the plastic shield in front of the gauges and the black plastic piece that goes over the top of the speedometer and its still rattling and sqeaking!!!

anyone have any suggestions to this? and does anyone else have this problem?

thanks.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by brisk
Hey,
I did a search on this, and it seems there are other rattles but not this.

I have this horrible!!! rattle that like shakes my whole steering wheel and the top black plastic cover over the speedometer real bad...it makes a squeaking noise too while going over bumps or roads that aren't perfectly smooth...

I brought it to my dealer 3 times already and they replaced the plastic shield in front of the gauges and the black plastic piece that goes over the top of the speedometer and its still rattling and sqeaking!!!

anyone have any suggestions to this? and does anyone else have this problem?

thanks.

Just out of curiousity when you took it to the dealer did you take them on a ride so they could experience teh rattle themselves and not just tell them where it was coming from?

pretty much, unless you want to try and fix it yourself, just keep taking it back to them and take them out on a drive so they can see/hear exactly what you are talking about. Try another dealer if you arent satisfied with the one you're currently going to. the rattles in this car suck, but so far i've had good luck with the dealer fixing them.

i had a horrible one from the steering column. They filled the entire column with foam which i love because now the steering is even a little stiffer and thats the way i like it. otherwise i've had one from nav screen, sunroof and glove box. but never in the location you're describing.

good luck

Old 02-15-2006, 05:06 PM
thanks for the response.

yea i did take the service guy for a ride and told him.

i been getting so many other rattles that i can't drive it with the music lower than 15!

but the steering one is the worst out them all...maybe i can ask them to foam it up like they did with yours...i love this car but hate the rattles!!!

Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sux man, whiich year is ur G?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 PM
its a 2005 with around 4000miles

Old 02-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sucks, i wouldnt expect the 05 model with 4K miles to give any rattles anytime soon.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
thats what i thought too...
rattles everywhere...driver side, that damn steering wheel, and somewhere from the rear...ahhh

Old 02-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I think there is a loose screw behind the steering wheel.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:55 PM
thanks for the responses.

the dealer already told me that they tightened all the screws there is. i think there was a total of 4.

this is really annoying sounds like two styrofoam pieces rubbing against each other along with a loud rattle... ahh!!!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you ever get this resolved.... I THINK I have the same type of rattle in my car. Basically it occurs on certain rough road surfaces... and it sounds like the whole column oscillates a few times after I hit the bump. Dealer and I have been trying to isolate it without any luck but the other day I started hitting the back of the instrument panel (the very back part [closest to the windshield] that moves with the steering column tilt adjustment) and the sound is exactly the same as when I hit a bump... Hot sure how I should go about trying to fix it though. I'd like to just have it stop until I have a chance to take it to the dealer again.

-Wayno-san

Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I have the same exact problem you do with the steering wheel. What I've done is stick some piece of material underneath the top black plastic shield. This stopped the rattle very effectively, but now I can hear rubbing noise when I move the steering wheel up or down when getting in and out of the car. Did you ever find out if it was your specific car with the problem, or a design issue? Did you find a solution different than mine that doesn't have some annoying rubbing sound?

Old 10-11-2006, 05:03 PM
^^ I did the same thing to stop my speedo hood from bouncing around over railroad tracks. It worked great. My steering wheel back/top cover makes noise, but I can't find a way to take it off to stick foam in there without removing the steering wheel

Other than those two minor issues my 2005 6MT with 33,500 miles is noise free and running strong as ever!

Last edited by csdstudio; 10-17-2006 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to hit the dealer soon to see if they have a fix for the Blose stereo issue where it loses it's treble/bass settings until I turn the volume up to 20. I'll have them take a look at this now that I know where it's coming from perhaps they'll actually try to do something about it. I'll let you know what happens.

Did you guys look in the service manual? It doesn't make sense that the whole steering wheel would have to come off just to get under that cover.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM
steering wheel squink

I have a 2003.5 G, brembos, sport package, nav., etc. Although my steering wheel column rattle is driving me nuts, it is at least a minor comfort to know that others have the same problem. The rattle almost sounds like a washer or something sliding around banging against tin. It happens over bumps for sure but what is odd is that when I lower the steering wheel the rattle stops. Unfortunately I'm somewhat tall and need to raise the steering wheel. When I do the rattle just appears and won't stop. When I release the the level so that the wheel column will adjust and I move the whole column up and down, I can hear the same rattle. Can we get into the guts of the steering wheel column? I want to tackle this myself but I dont want to start taking things apart just to find out I can reach the problem. Any suggestions?

Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by brisk
thanks for the response.

yea i did take the service guy for a ride and told him.

i been getting so many other rattles that i can't drive it with the music lower than 15!

but the steering one is the worst out them all...maybe i can ask them to foam it up like they did with yours...i love this car but hate the rattles!!!
Ok, i have so many rattles to and the thing is the dealers are the dumbest mother fu(kers on the planet. I will tell you the storys. K i get my car brand new 06, drive it notice somethings take it in. Comes back with feet marks all over the door panels. I get pissed tell them they clean it OK. Then i take it back for my seat being totaly gone at 5k. They replace the seat SAPOSIBLE (they said they took a new seat from a car of the lot and put my old one in a new car) i notice that they hit my front bumper on a curb and they scratched my door panel and the infiniti log on the inside of the door. They then argue with me and final give me a new bumper cause my father owns a body shop. Then i started to get a clicking in the rear axel area i have now taken it 4 times to the dealer and they still cant fix it. They keep scrating and ****ing my car up. I love my car, But im so sick of the only dealer in the town owning my car that im allmost done with it. I hate infiniti dealers and their desrespect towards are cars they floor them everywhere and just have no love for them. Im prolly going to try and lemon law it becuase of how much i hate the dealer, get a sti or evo somethin simple. LEt me know what you guys think, what i said here was nothing i have so many more problems its not even funny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible rattle from steering wheel area! Help!