G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Mustang Dyno-Bone Stock-2005 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2006 | 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
What exactly do you mean by "log vehicle speed versus time"? Should a run be performed in a single gear? If so, which gear? If not, then how does one account for the elapsed time in shifting gears? Is there a way to log when the car is fully in gear, or not?
Pick the gear you're interested in. You do a run from low RPM to high RPM, just like on the dyno. Power will vary from gear to gear for the same conditions (from changes in rate of acceleration of parasitic inertias), but what you measure will be a pretty good indicator of the power you put down during that run.

Also, just how accurate is this means of measurement?
That's up for debate. Clearly variations in temperature, flatness of the road, wind, etc affect the measurement. You can try to minimize this (do runs when there is no wind on flat ground), and record the air temperature and know your altitude. From this you can get the density of the air to account for drag.

Do you have a weather station recording wind direction and speed?
There is a local weather station recording wind direction and speed, but they're not doing it just for me.

How would a tail wind or head wind affect the measurement?
Assuming you don't account for wind speed in the drag calculations, a tail wind would increase your calculated power, and head wind would decrease it.

How would tire pressure affect measurement?
Lower tire pressures would increase rolling resistance. However for a given vehicle setup, I do a decelleration in neutral from high speed to get a good estimate of drag and rolling resistance values. So assuming you keep the same tire pressures, this would be accounted for.

Or what about wheel size and weight, in combination with tire size and weight?
The greater the parasitic inertia, the greater the power lost to accelerating these inertias. Doing runs in higher gears minimizes these losses by minimizing the acceleration rate.

If one increases the diameter and weight of his drive wheels, by say 50%, would this not lengthen the time required to cover the same distance? But technically, the amount of power the car is putting "to the wheels" would be unchanged, correct?
Correct. You will actually measure slightly higher power numbers in this case (similar to doing a run in a higher gear) because your rate of acceleration is decreased, so less power is lost to accelerating parasitic inertias. All you care about is having an accurate vehicle speed, accelerated mass, drag, and rolling resistance parameters. If you put aftermarket wheels on that make your vehicle speed log off by 50%, you need to account for that.

My point here is that even your *suggestion* is merely an approximation, just like using any type of dyno. Like you said, your way of doing things requires "special tools (like Cipher)". Hitting a dyno for 50 some-odd bucks, for an approximation, doesn't seem too bad to me.
Sure, I understand your point. But the difference here is that what I measure with the log, assuming the road is reasonably flat and there aren't any weird conditions like a large tailwind for which I'm not accounting, is truly the amount of power that my car is putting down on the street. It is what is accelerating my car. It is a real-world load, so the numbers are meaningful.

I'm sure that if the thread-starter road-dyno'd his car in 3rd gear he'd be seeing about 215 real-world horsepower to the wheels.

IMO, dyno numbers should be used for relative calculations only, and they should be scaled to the crank numbers for the car from a stock dyno before mods (this accounts for the dyno being off by a proportional factor).

And IMO, if you want to know what your car is "really" putting out at the wheels on the street (at least for those exact conditions at that instant), there is only one way to do it: measure it on the street.

Old 02-27-2006 | 09:54 PM
Staff Alumni
Staff Alumni
I don't think we're at odds here, but I do think we're interested in different goals. The only reason I would ever want to determine how much power I'm putting out is to measure the effectiveness of a mod(that is, if I have a baseline and if the conditions are controlled *enough* for my comfort). However, that goal is itself only transient; I am actually only interested in how a mod will affect my 1/4 time/trap, or how it will affect drivability.

Horsepower figures, IMO are largely irrelevant. I'm concerned about trap speed. I understand not every one tracks his car, but I do, with enthusiasm. Ultimately, I will measure how my car is performing by the trap speed. Or, in the case of my daily commute, if the function of driving my car is more enjoyable.

But I must admit, I really am a geek, and a numbers geek at that. If I had the UpRev, and the similar modelling software, I would probably do what you are doing now. In fact, whenever I get a dyno done, I spend hours just playing around with winpep look at the data in every way imaginable.

Old 02-27-2006 | 10:35 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Trey,

Did you ever get your A/F sorted out?

Old 02-27-2006 | 10:57 PM
Staff Alumni
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Trey,

Did you ever get your A/F sorted out?
Unfortunately, no, but that deserves it's own dedicated thread. Check back in a couple hours(on the phone right now) on my mrev/stillen thread. I'll post my update there.

Old 02-28-2006 | 12:06 AM
I don't think we're at odds here, but I do think we're interested in different goals. The only reason I would ever want to determine how much power I'm putting out is to measure the effectiveness of a mod(that is, if I have a baseline and if the conditions are controlled *enough* for my comfort). However, that goal is itself only transient; I am actually only interested in how a mod will affect my 1/4 time/trap, or how it will affect drivability.

Horsepower figures, IMO are largely irrelevant. I'm concerned about trap speed. I understand not every one tracks his car, but I do, with enthusiasm. Ultimately, I will measure how my car is performing by the trap speed. Or, in the case of my daily commute, if the function of driving my car is more enjoyable.

But I must admit, I really am a geek, and a numbers geek at that. If I had the UpRev, and the similar modelling software, I would probably do what you are doing now. In fact, whenever I get a dyno done, I spend hours just playing around with winpep look at the data in every way imaginable.
Well if you're just interested in a double-integrated version of power (your trap speed), then you'd be in heaven with the Cipher. Datalog speed versus time over some long range (taking the launch out of the equation) and integrate it. That's far easier than differentiating velocity versus time to extrapolate power. I have to do some tricky digital filtering to get nice power curves out in the end.

Old 02-28-2006 | 08:24 AM
Remember a Dyno is a tuning tool, you can set a dyno up to give you any numbers you want..especially a mustang Dyno. There are all kinds of calibration settings to these things. I dont pay attention to dyno number that much cause so much can factor into them, like a I said its a GREAT GREAT tuning tool.

The best way to get true #'s on what your car is putting down is take it down the local dragway once or twice usually cost 15 bucks... dont launch the car hard to make sure u dont break anything (very sticky starting line, IRS tends to really hop, remember u r not going for time, but MPH so u dont want to spin at all) These cars stock once u get rolling u can put it to the floor the rest of the way. I suggest power shifting to get the most MPH.

Most dragways have a scale as well, if not take your car through a truck stop and have it weighed with you in it, use this formula...

hp = weight * (speed / 234)3 For you non math majors

lets say my car weighs 3400 pounds with me in it.. and i run 98 MPH in the 1/4 well take 98/234 that equals .419 rounded off... take that to the 3rd power (times itself 3 times .419x.419.x419= 0.074) rememer dont x's it by 3 or u will come out wrong. now take your weight 3400x.0.074 and the number you get is the power your putting to the ground on that run. which i get 250 RWHP. Try to note the weather conditions, note if you get a head wind or a tail wind, get the DA (Density Altitude) ask any major drag racer at the track and he can tell you. and you can correct to SAE HP.. (seal level)

Hope this might help some of you guys out.

Old 03-01-2006 | 01:49 PM
That calculated number is a very rough estimate at best, and is just empirically fudged. I'd take a dyno number as absolute long before that number back-calculated from a single datapoint.

Old 03-01-2006 | 03:23 PM
why do people speak of the mustang as if it's a crap car? those cars respond so much better to mods than just about anything else out there. and that includes the "glorified H" emblem cars. those are pretty good numbers.

Old 03-01-2006 | 03:26 PM
dis regaurd. im an ***. saw mustang and dyno. i appologize. grew up in the back seat of a mustang. got a little choked up about it. i will slap myself later.

Old 03-03-2006 | 08:12 PM
|
MREV+ Dyno'd

Not exactly what I was hoping for...

I started a new thread in the Engine, Drivetrain, etc. forum at Dyno Stock 05 6MT Before/After MREV+