Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prem Gas?

Do I have to put in prem?

If I dont , is it really bad?

Old 03-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some have said that putting lower grades of gas is ok, but if you get knock in your engine, it can not only cause damage, but void your warranty.

With that in mind, I would stay with Premium. Plus your car goes faster... but then so does your gas.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:46 AM
I've had my G for over a year now and have ran nothing but regular grade unleaded with no problems.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by JAM1976
I've had my G for over a year now and have ran nothing but regular grade unleaded with no problems.
Really? I think thats the first time I've heard a G35 owner put reg. gas and for over a year! Good luck with the car

Old 03-07-2006, 02:46 AM
Premier Member
i tried reg once and my car seemed to sound different ... ever since then my baby only gets premium

Old 03-07-2006, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
y wud u even fvck with it for like .30 more a gallon

Old 03-07-2006, 04:57 AM
hmmmm

i think the whole premium gas crap is bull... i mean.. i dont know this for sure... but i would assume that difference countrys have different standards for premium gas... i only put in premium and thats for performance reasons... which leads me to beleive that since they test the cars and dyno them with premium... and promote/advertise those numbers... that they have to say to use premium otherwise it would be false advertising...

this is completely out of my a$$ but it makes sense to me..

my two cents.....

either way... id bet a lot of money that using 87 instead of 91.. will be just fine....just a lack in performance....

f

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hye_G
y wud u even fvck with it for like .30 more a gallon
My thought exactly.

Hay es ape?

Old 03-07-2006, 07:00 AM
The G's engine is equipped with a knock sensor that the ECU uses to monitor knock and adjust ignition timing in real time. Theoretically, it's okay to use regular gas because the computer will compensate by retarding the spark enough to reduce the knock down to harmless levels. However, performance definitely suffers. Personally, I would NEVER try to save 20 or 30 cents a gallon by using regular rather than premium fuel. If your budget is stretched so tightly that you're looking to save what is at most a couple dollars a day, perhaps you should be driving a different, more affordable car.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by runningonmt
The G's engine is equipped with a knock sensor that the ECU uses to monitor knock and adjust ignition timing in real time. Theoretically, it's okay to use regular gas because the computer will compensate by retarding the spark enough to reduce the knock down to harmless levels. However, performance definitely suffers. Personally, I would NEVER try to save 20 or 30 cents a gallon by using regular rather than premium fuel. If your budget is stretched so tightly that you're looking to save what is at most a couple dollars a day, perhaps you should be driving a different, more affordable car.
Well said. That pretty much sums it up.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would u spend all this money on a luxury sports coupe that requires premium gas and then cheap out on the regular gas?? boggles my mind. if u can't afford the gas maybe u shouldn't have bought the car... u may have some financial issues to think about. just a thought.

here's a quick article i found online:
High Octane Gas Myth

I know a lot of people who believe that higher octane gas is “better” for your car than lower octane gas, as if the words premium next to the higher ratings actually mean the gasoline is better for your car. It isn’t. If you believe it is, don’t be dismayed, you’ve simply become accustomed to reading the words “premium” next to the label and believing the great marketing machine that helped create over $10B in 4th quarter profits for companies like Exxon-Mobil. The octane rating of gasoline is a measure of how much you can compress the gasoline before it ignites, not how “good” it is.

Cars that require higher octane gas actually need that higher priced gas because the engines compress the fuel more before it ignites it. If you put regular gas in a car that requires premium, the gas will prematurely ignite when it’s being compressed and the engine will give you a knocking sound. This is bad for your car.

Chemists perk up…
For all you burgeoning chemists, gasoline is basically octane and heptane, or hydrocarbon chains that are 8 (octane) or 7 (heptane) carbons long. Octane simply can be compressed better (i.e. without the exploding part, at least at the same levels of pressure) than heptane. An octane rating of 87 means it’s 87% octane.

It’s a “rating”…
The reason why higher octane is more expensive is because it’s harder to refine the gasoline so that it contains more octane. Now let’s add another wrinkle… the octane is actually an octane rating, or it behaves as gasoline with that percentage octane would behave but might not actually have that much octane in it. While that doesn’t really matter, it does mean that the gasoline you use could have a mix of other things in it (still real gas though) to give it properties of a higher octane without actually having more octane. Does it matter? I don’t think so but I write software for a living.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:56 AM
An Army of One...
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just pay the extra $6 a tank and call it a day....

Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 AM
the guys at dream car garage did a test on gas with a porsche 911. they lost 5hp using the cheap stuff.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I ran regular for a few months, then stepped up to mid-grade (hey, I'm cheap). After driving a loaner and feeling how "peppy" it was compared to my Coupe, I've recently stepped up to premium. I don't notice a whole lot of performance gains, but my mileage has improved, basically negating the extra cost.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
why would u spend all this money on a luxury sports coupe that requires premium gas and then cheap out on the regular gas?? boggles my mind. if u can't afford the gas maybe u shouldn't have bought the car... u may have some financial issues to think about. just a thought.

here's a quick article i found online:
That is a decent article but it makes a false statment. It states that 87 octane gas is 87% octane. This is untrue. The octane rating of gasoline is simply a knock index number. The higher the number the less prone it is to prematurely combust (knock).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: prem Gas?