G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Why bother paying for Premium Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got what I wanted with my "base" '05 6MT. I wish the G leaned more heavily toward GT than Luxury. I would have loved a lightweight NISMO model and I would have been fine with it having a Nissan emblem as well. Nonetheless, I found the G to be my best/favorite option, so the hardtop 6MT without additional weight was the natural choice for me. I waited for it too. Obvisouly, others consider any additional weight and cost to be well worth the added features of the Prem. and Nav. The only thing I would want from the Premium package would be memory seats. Hardly worth $2000 and being forced to get a sunroof, IMO. Your opinions will vary.

Even the "base" model is a good deal further into the luxury-GT class than a Scion could reach. Perhaps those with Premium and Nav have no business in the G either and should have instead purchased a luxury-laden Mercedes? Had no idea the same G you're in, minus $2000-$4000, was suddenly equivalent to a Scion. ...Whatever makes you feel impotent.

Despite the addition of some electric adjustments, NAV screen, etc., the G35 has the interior of a car much closer to $30K than $40K, in terms of quality, etc. If you want to tart it up with additional options, that's your priority. But the G is all about being a ballanced act, so it's naturally full of compromises. I didn't want to take what I considered the undesirable aspects of that compromise and pay to emphasize them more. For those that want all the bells and whistles (which I go for in the wife's family car), more power to you... ...but it doesn't mean that's the priority for every G owner.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I wouldn't be able to live without the intelli key. Also the memory seats, sunroof, heated seats, are all awesome and I don't see the point in getting a G without the Premium.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^Premium is standard equipment for Canadian coupes.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
I just got what I wanted with my "base" '05 6MT. I wish the G leaned more heavily toward GT than Luxury. I would have loved a lightweight NISMO model and I would have been fine with it having a Nissan emblem as well. Nonetheless, I found the G to be my best/favorite option, so the hardtop 6MT without additional weight was the natural choice for me. I waited for it too. Obvisouly, others consider any additional weight and cost to be well worth the added features of the Prem. and Nav. The only thing I would want from the Premium package would be memory seats. Hardly worth $2000 and being forced to get a sunroof, IMO. Your opinions will vary.

Even the "base" model is a good deal further into the luxury-GT class than a Scion could reach. Perhaps those with Premium and Nav have no business in the G either and should have instead purchased a luxury-laden Mercedes? Had no idea the same G you're in, minus $2000-$4000, was suddenly equivalent to a Scion. ...Whatever makes you feel impotent.

Despite the addition of some electric adjustments, NAV screen, etc., the G35 has the interior of a car much closer to $30K than $40K, in terms of quality, etc. If you want to tart it up with additional options, that's your priority. But the G is all about being a ballanced act, so it's naturally full of compromises. I didn't want to take what I considered the undesirable aspects of that compromise and pay to emphasize them more. For those that want all the bells and whistles (which I go for in the wife's family car), more power to you... ...but it doesn't mean that's the priority for every G owner.
Yep, totally agree. What the hell kind of statemet is this,"... so whats the point of getting one if ur just going to get the base model? ...might as well get a scion..."? The premium packaged is nice for those that need/like what it gives but doesn't make out cars any better or worse. It isn't as though our cars didn't come with a nice list of standard features already. Hell, half the standard features on our cars all optional on many luxury cars. I would have been happy if my car didn't come with heated seats and would have cost $500 less (don't know what the cost would be, but just guessing). If I remember correctly, even the Porche Cayman has HID lights as an option (or was it BMW?).

Anywho, I wanted the car with the least amount of options so I can add my own "personal" flare to it. However, I waited 2 months and ended up getting it with Sunroof, splash guards, and Trunk Mat. In the end, those options were worth it. For those that think cars that has the premium package has a higher resale value, I would like to know how? If you take out the fact that you wanted those options (in this case, it is intrinsically higher in value then just up-front cost), then you are paying $2K-$4 more for your car in which case I don't believe you are getting any more of it back, after depreciation. Anywho, I just don't think the premium is worth it, in its current form, when we bought our cars. If our cars didn't come with so many standard features, I would have gotten some of it however.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
I wouldn't be able to live without the intelli key. Also the memory seats, sunroof, heated seats, are all awesome and I don't see the point in getting a G without the Premium.
interesting. you'd hate my g if you ever saw it....

i've got a base model g....

no sunroof, no intelli key, no memory seats, etc. etc.

and i wouldn't have it any other way

Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my 2004 g35c, premium package was an additional $2,250 which included the 225-watt Bose audio system, power sliding glass sunroof, homelink, auto on/off headlamps, dual zone temp control, and the auto-dimming inside mirror. I only use the Bose, occasionally use the sunroof and homelink, and the auto-dimming mirror works well when needed. I really despise the auto on/off headlamps and the dual zone temp and find them to be absolutely useless. Of course this is just my opinion. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would not have gotten the premium package (dealer already had it installed) as I would probably have enjoyed the car even more without those extras since I could spend $2,250 on something I would actually use.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I love the Homelink mirrors!! It's so easy to get in my apt. complex and my girlfriend's without fumbling for 2 different garage fobs!

Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 AM
I love the intelligent key! I hate digging into a big purse searching for your keys when all I gotta do now is press a button!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
IMO, the premium package includes everything that should be standard on a luxury coupe.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
IMO, the premium package includes everything that should be standard on a luxury coupe.

Yep, but then it would just be added to the cost of the car without being "optional", which would make more defactors out some potential buyers. In the end, it makes no difference.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBoy06
got the prem for the memory seats

Really just wanted the sunroof
Sunroof is a separate option

Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
^Premium is standard equipment for Canadian coupes.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Yep, but then it would just be added to the cost of the car without being "optional", which would make more defactors out some potential buyers. In the end, it makes no difference.
Well...I think the G coupe was originally designed as a luxury car...just like the Infiniti line was meant to be, a luxury flagship of Nissan. But I think Nissan wanted to sell it to the mass market, selling MORE of them, so they stripped down the options and made a Premium package, just so people who wants a basic car will buy one. Making the premium package standard would add an extra $2000 to the base price of the vehicle, therefore they made it an OPTION so they could sell it cheaper for the people who wants to own the G35....look at other luxury manufacturers on the market around the same price range, they all have leather, sunroof, upgraded sound system, seat memory, and homelink system STANDARD on their vehicles...there's a reason why they made leather standard now...you can't have a luxury car WITHOUT leather...that's why you get a 350Z...

Old 05-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't forget about bluetooth :]

Old 05-06-2007, 06:01 PM
you are correct. i agree. but the difference between those who purchased all the bells and whistles and those who purchased the "base" model.. is that those who purcahsed the "base"model usually rice the shlt out of their "base" model to make up the fact that they didn't buy the premium model and basically spent more money on ricing their ride. just look at their signature.

they didn't buy a premium package because its a waste of money. so they bought some fake, fiberglass replica of a popular kit that doesnt fit right. . not only was it cheaper then the real thing, its lighter and makes their car faster then an M3. haha. oh yeah, they also smoked a lambo on the freeway.

and they talk about not wanting to spend the extra money on worthless shlt. haha. think about it. all that crap you put on ur car, it's still not that much faster then a stock coupe. the only way to go is Forced Induction. all the mods w/o Forced Induction is just "posing". unless ur drive an all motor honda with a ls/vtec swap, on a very light car.

they probably spent will over 4 grand on an intake, header, exhaust, plenums and a highflow cat... The g will still be slow.

Originally Posted by GT-Ron