G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What about the american cars???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What about the american cars???

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

So while the Vette has intoxicating power, the porsche may have more of the driving dynamics like engine sound, lightness in handling, steering, transmission feel, etc etc.

<hr></blockquote>

Engine sound? That's subjective of course, but I don't think many people would pick the engine sound of a Carrera over that of a Z06. The V-8 roar produced by the Z06 and its titanium mufflers is rather intoxicating. I've heard Carreras at full throttle, and they sound like large VW Beetles to me. There's something weird sounding to me about boxer engines. They sound too clanky and put putty. They don't roar, they howl. Again, its subjective, and don't get me wrong, a Porsche boxer engine does sound good at WOT, but not as good as a healthy V-8 at WOT.

The driving dynamics of the Z06 are pretty damned incredible. I agree that the steering feel is better in the Porsche, but the Z06's feel isn't too far behind. I've driven my uncle's 928, and the steering feel on that car was perfect. Absolutely perfect. The Germans have steering feel down to an art.

Lightness in handling? Well, the Z06 is a lighter car than a Carrera and is better balanced. It's easy to drive and tossable. However, the Z06 and C5 feels like a large car - its wide and long, and that can be a drawback and an asset, depending on the situation. The Carrera does have more of that intimate small sports car feel, because it is a smaller, narrower car.

Transmission feel? I agree 100%. I hate the transmission feel in my Z06, even with an aftermarket shifter. I haven't tried a Carrera's shifter, but I'm going to assume its better. I like the clutch feel in the Z06 though, and its surprisingly easy.

Don't get me wrong - I really like Porsche's. I think all of them are overpriced for what you get, but they're very nice cars. My favorite is the 911 Turbo, and that car is neck and neck with the Z06 in almost every performance category. Thing is it costs more than double what a Z06 costs.

Put it this way: if the Corvette, the Z06, and the Viper didn't exist, I would be saving right now for a 911 Turbo.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 09-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Corvette is an exceptional value at around $50K. It has world-class performance, (evidently) good quality control and excellent styling for many people's tastes (I find it a bit much though). I think price/performance-wise the Vette, G35C, and Boxster (Boxster dead stock only though - just a few factory options will launch its sticker into the stratosphere) are the best sporty cars in the business (I'm only leaving the 350Z off this list because I pretty strongly dislike the styling and interior quality, and because the largely similar G35C exists as an alternative).

Where 911 series Porsches are concerned, I saw a new(ish) 911 turbo with the spoiler (not the huge one) recently, and I have to say that is one sensational looking sports car. It's expensive, to say the least, at about $115K (still well south of Ferrariville), but what a car.

It points again though, to the outstanding value of the 'Vette, G35C and Boxster. All three offer excellent performance, style and quality at prices that mere mortals can afford.

Old 09-01-2003, 01:39 PM

Mani you nailed it with your Porsche response. The entry level Porsche Carrera may not be as fast as the vette but I liked driving the Porsche anyday over the Vette. Have driven both and owned a Carrera. And I'm not after status or name. The fact is the Porsche is a fine machine. If I want muscle I'll take the Vette. The G35C is a good ar for the money.

Damn I had to sell my carrera!

Old 09-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 911 is a 911. Nothing else is a 911. A Vette is a Vette. There are quite a few cars similar to a Vette, but a Z06 would likely be out in front of those cars. Neither car would be confused for the other parked next to each other. One is a long car with big engine under the most exagerrated hood in the industry, the other is a stumpy bubble with a small, preferably turbo-charged engine hanging off its ***. Both cars drive fast. They cannot possibly drive alike. Therefore, it is perfectly justifiable to prefer the "feel" of one car to another, even if that explanation sometimes comes from poseurs who wouldn't have a clue about the different driving dynamics if you explained it to them using hand puppets.

And I'd rather have a Viper.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 09-02-2003, 03:50 PM

Jack wrote:<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

And I'd rather have a Viper.

<hr></blockquote>On that point I certainly won't argue...
Z06 makes some good points about the Porsche / Vette arguments. Personally, status and all that aside, I can't fathom ANYONE preferring the sound of a 911 to a well-dressed V8. I'll give the Corvette that any day, there's few engines that sound as sweet - and bang for the buck, few, if any cars can even hope to compete with the Corvette Z06.
Looking at the bottom line, strict performance for the money, I don't think there's a single car that Porsche makes that can compete with many other marques - but no other marque can say it's a Porsche. Status is defintely a big factor, but I've never been all that concerned about status, I'd rather have the performance. That's why - given budget IS a factor - the Viper is the all-out winner. Beastly performance, V10 growl, gorgeous exotic looks, all at a little above Corvette prices.
But I still don't have that kind of money to spend, and I need a back seat. So with a budget of about 35K, where can I get something that handles about as well as a Vette, accelerates like a 5.0 Mustang, has sweet, bordering on exotic looks, a modicum of luxury, as well as reliability? There's nothing Made in America that fits the bill - nor Germany for that matter. You want all that with a 35K pricetag, the G35 Coupe is your car - that's why it's mine. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 09-02-2003, 11:24 PM

The only time I actually had a chance to drive an American-Made car was inbetween my first car(maxima) and my current(G) and it was the pontiac gtp or whatever it was called. Handled decently and the engine had decent power(compared to maxima) but man...I just couldnt get over how ugly the car looked. Even worse, the interior was killing me. I felt like I was a 4 year old playing on a toy car's cockpit. Anyways, I'm not trying to sound biased as I do love American cars(first choice before maxima was the Mustang GT bullitt) but man...I think I'm safe to say that I wont be driving around in a sub 40k domestic car again. Btw, I completely agree with Z06fied about the grunt of a nice sounding V-8. Seriously, listening to the Corvette's grunt makes me feel more manly and give out a grunt(maybe it's just me...). Anyways, everyone's got their own opinion i guess

'03 G35c DG/G 6mt, full options