G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

oh no! long-term reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh no! long-term reliability?

alright...i've had my G for almost 4 weeks now, and for no apparent reason, i'm starting to worry about long term reliability, especially of the interior. here are some quibbles i have thus far:

1) Windows - there is no "frame" around the windows. i start shaking when someone closes my door by pushing the windows. but it does look better without the "frame"... =)

2) Titanium-look finish - this looks like it's doomed to be all scratched up by 20,000 miles. =(

3) Interior rattling - turn the music up (i have the BOSE, but shouldn't matter) and u can hear small rattling...i located one source of this in MY car: the passanger-side window control on the drivers side. not too bad...but annoying!

4) Armrest/center console - the magnetic armrest doesn't seem to be very solid. the center console/cupholder little switch came off on my car...but that was simple to force back into place.

i guess that's about it...for now...and hopefully, for good. i just wanted to see if anyone else has had any reservations about the interior. i know no one is THOROUGHLY happy with the interior, but these things seem a bit odd for a luxury brand.

2003 Diamond Graphite 6-spd w/ Premium, Aero and Navi...it's a wet dream come tru!

Old 08-31-2003, 11:32 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: oh no! long-term reliability?

1) Don't let people close the door with the window-- people who do that should be shot anyway.

2) Put Crystal Guard Quick on it-- I just did and it's AMAZING. You couldn't scratch it easily with keys, etc. and it helps- hell, couldn't hurt!

3) Take it to your dealer and point it out. Put a song on about vol 17 or so, big bass hits. Make sure that they hear it. A lot of the cars still have a rattle, even after the TSB.

4) Don't know what to say about that-- sorry!

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 08-31-2003, 11:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. my last car had no frames... had it for 7 years & never a problem.

2. the door pull pieces can be replaced when they get scratched up, about $21 each

3. i have rattles also.... its annoying.... dry the dealer... over the course of a 60k mile warranty, you should be able to get these resolved.

4. this sounds like your only real issue here and "was simple to force back into place"

its far from perfect, but for the price, this car is a deal.

6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero

Old 09-01-2003, 02:53 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

2) PS- Get some CG Quick and throw it on there. I applied it on the center console, door handles, etc. and noticed two things: The shine is excellent, very nice but classy; and when i attempted to scratch it with a key in a concealed place, there was absolutely no scratch at all-- this is pretty tough stuff anyway.

G

Old 09-01-2003, 03:18 AM

Frameless doors are pretty much standard on all coupes. Thats just how it is. Same with convertibles. Even the m45 has frameless doors. Pretty cool feature.

Old 09-01-2003, 04:01 AM

where can i get Crystal Guard Quick? and what is it exactly? it sounds like some sort of clear coat/enamel? how easy is it to apply? Does it leave a sort of "sticky" feeling? thanks for all the replies, guys...

2003 Diamond Graphite 6-spd w/ Premium, Aero and Navi...it's a wet dream come tru!

Old 09-01-2003, 12:35 PM

"where can i get Crystal Guard Quick?"

Click on the link in the main page of this forum

Old 09-01-2003, 02:33 PM

There is a TSB to fix trhe rattling in doors. Just had my two front doors done -- helps a little. Need to have the back doors done now (why didn't they test and perform all at once!!!!.....)

Old 09-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

CG is on the main page, and just ask them to double the padding in the doors-- very easily done, and it's under warranty. I told them to do to every door what they'd done with the one that was rattling... prevent future visits.

CG is a flouring/glass combination that's held in a suspension until sprayed on a surface, then it dries and forms a very tough layer of "glass". No sticky feeling, only pure smooth glass feeling. I put it in my car as soon as I got it, and it's held up very well, now I've got the same protection on the interior! Woohoo!

G

Old 09-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My center concole magnet thing sucks. It never holds the arm rest down, sometimes it just pops back up and I have to try alot to get the magnet to hold it down. It's not enough for me to complain. Also what's our next service after 8k? Is it 15k?

Thanks - Joey Avino