G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Will Removing Bose radio cause any problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Removing Bose radio cause any problems

Does anyone know if removing our Bose radio from the dash will cause any problem with the A/C controls or anything like that, cause i am planning on mounting a 7" Xenarc touchscreen monitor, but if removing the radio from the dash cause problem then i wont bother with trying. Has anyone put aftermarket monitors in there coupe yet if so where they put them (post pics if you have any). Please give any ideas as of where i can mount at least a 6.5 monitor.

Old 09-03-2003, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Will Removing Bose radio cause any problems

The radio and ac's face plate are connected on same board, have only one cable from face plate to the cd change and radio. basicly you CAN NOT remove them or the ac wont work...if you have 6mt, you could mount an screen at bottom of the bose,someone did that here and put center channel speaker on the eyeglass holder...if you have 5AT, wont have room there, but you can add the indash screen and DVD player in that cubby hole on top of the dash...few pic of the bose......the back of face plate...s.w.

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by limeg35 on 09/02/03 09:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

97509-stock bose back view.JPG

Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 AM

face pate...

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance

97510-stock bose front view.JPG

Old 09-03-2003, 12:48 AM

and there are no room to move the radio and chager either..we try to put the new radio in the dash, but the cable from the face plate isnt long enuff to reach the stock radio if we move the radio to other place...s.w.

97514-c.c without the AC and BOSE.JPG

Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 AM

so what we did is, put the new radio (pioneer's DEHP8500MP) on the top of the dash, where the cubby hole was, but it didnt trun out too well(long story, so i will give you shorter version)...after it was painted, all the imperfaction came out to the surface,they call it orange peel, so now we gonna get some brush alum plate and try to cover it up lil bit...hopefully you will have easlier time with it...good luck...pic is the fibergalssed(sort of) dash...s.w.

p.s....it sounded whole lot better than with the stock bose tho.

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by limeg35 on 09/02/03 10:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

97526-fiberglassed dash.JPG

Old 09-03-2003, 01:03 AM

after the first coat of primer...it lQQked pretty smooth...but it wasnt to be...oh well ...at least we tried...s.w.

97529-second coat.JPG

Old 09-03-2003, 08:57 AM

Thanks for your help limg35, im gonna try doing something in that storage pocket where the stock navi goes dont know how its gonna be done but im gonna have to figure out a way

Old 09-03-2003, 11:36 AM

Yea, be careful because most things are intergrated so altering one causes something else to not work. Check back on some of the posts from July or June. It had complete specs and how to on installing aftermarket navs etc,. It was very thorough with pics. The G's interior does not leave room for a lot of additions. I assume you want to keep your interior looking factory. Good success with your project.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:38 AM

That printed circuit board looks kinda complicated, but one wonders if it would be possible to figure out what all the components are for and design a new board that has only the AC controls and required components. I could design such a board pretty easily in my spare time at work, and to make a run of 5 or 6 boards is maybe $200-$300 (depends how big the board is, cost per peice goes down as you order larger quantities). Then desolder required components from the factory board and resolder to the new, smaller board. Yeah, it is sorta a lot of work (more work than installing your ps2 mod chip), just wondering if any other EE's have considered it.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/black
Mountain View, CA

Old 09-04-2003, 12:41 PM

Yeah, any EE wants to take a crack at it? Pretty please, i would love to have that extra room there if i can get rid of the bose.

g35mt

Old 09-04-2003, 10:39 PM

can you tell me how much room is behind the cubby. vertical or horizontal. looking at putting in a pop up VGA screen , it sits in a normal din size box but it is 7 in deep

Old 09-05-2003, 01:08 AM

chirwolf: if you leave the pocket in place, there wont be enough room to close the lid to cover it, so when lid colsed it will sit on top of the radio, if you take the whole thing out, like i did, you will have to find some way to cover the top of the dash, now you certainly can just add an in-dash screen and take the lid out,with bout two inch stick out...i dont have excat masurement...s.w.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:14 AM

jgainsle: the thing that gets me is that...the face plate is connected by that cable you see in the pic...to the radio, so i can't remove the stock radio. i am sure that some one can make the stand alone ic board for the AC, but then you have to figure out where to hook it up to...s.w.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:53 AM

limeg35:

Yeah, but they're just wires. Those look like pretty standard molex connectors you can get at Fry's or RadioShack. You could just get the same connector, and reconnect it to your new AC-only PCB. Are there instructions somewhere on how to take apart that front panel? I'd like to take a look at it this weekend but I don't want to mess up my 2 week old baby trying to figure out how to take out the radio

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/black
Mountain View, CA

Old 09-05-2003, 12:37 PM

limeg35: How about if I cut the pocket leaving the lid. is there 7 inches from bottom of lid down through the cubby, or will I run into bracing, ducting or something. thanks for you reply

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will Removing Bose radio cause any problems