G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Back window shattered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 03:32 AM
SDG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Back window shattered

I go out to my car and theres a crack in my back window...WHAT???

Yeah, what the heck is this? Just a tiny one, thats weird what happened? I'm thinking its very strange but it has to be warranty covered. Flawed window or something. And as I sit there and watch it just continues to crack and break throughout the entire back window, probably the tint was the only thing holding it all in place. It took about a half an hour before it stopped crackling. Anyway, WTF? It just broke? For no reason? Well the Infiniti guy sorta gives me a funny look when I give them the story but say that broken windows are 'never covered under warranty' ...that will be $670 please for a brand new factory replacement. I said well if this one broke why wouldnt another one break? You want me to pay 700 bucks for another window when the first one you gave me just shattered for no reason? This should be covered!

Anyhow, I did some searches and no luck. Has anyone heard of this happening before in the G or any car for that matter. Ok to clear up obvious questions, the car is garaged so nobody did anything to it. I live in San Diego so not real prone to the large scale temperature changes. Its an 03 Coupe w/ 24k miles on it.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Banned
your car insurance will repair it for free... give them a call!

Old 04-02-2006, 07:31 AM
ive seen it happen before, however, not on a car. same general type of glass though. when i was a teenager, i was hanging out in the livingroom, and my pop happened to be in the room at the time ( good thing, cuz hed never have believed me!) and all the sudden out of nowhere.. BOOM!! the glass door to the stereo equip. console exploded! must have been static electricity. dunno if thats the same situation you had or not, but i guess it could be an answer.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i believe it..one time our shower door just shattered for no reason

Old 04-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think glass usually breaks due to a weak spot/crack/chip assisted by thermal variation. Might also be a fat lady singing at the glasses harmonic resonance frequency.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:46 PM
The only thing I can think of might be the rain we've been having lately. If there was a slight crack or chip in the glass and water got into it, the water may have gotten into it and started expanding as the sun heated it up. I had a 5" crack in the front windshield of my old Acrua appear while parked at work on a sunny day after a good rain a few years ago...

Old 04-02-2006, 05:25 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by SDG
I go out to my car and theres a crack in my back window...WHAT???

Yeah, what the heck is this? Just a tiny one, thats weird what happened? I'm thinking its very strange but it has to be warranty covered. Flawed window or something. And as I sit there and watch it just continues to crack and break throughout the entire back window, probably the tint was the only thing holding it all in place. It took about a half an hour before it stopped crackling. Anyway, WTF? It just broke? For no reason? Well the Infiniti guy sorta gives me a funny look when I give them the story but say that broken windows are 'never covered under warranty' ...that will be $670 please for a brand new factory replacement. I said well if this one broke why wouldnt another one break? You want me to pay 700 bucks for another window when the first one you gave me just shattered for no reason? This should be covered!

Anyhow, I did some searches and no luck. Has anyone heard of this happening before in the G or any car for that matter. Ok to clear up obvious questions, the car is garaged so nobody did anything to it. I live in San Diego so not real prone to the large scale temperature changes. Its an 03 Coupe w/ 24k miles on it.
I had a crack on the front windshield that I took in for a "factory defect," they (infiniti) looked at it, removed the little platic trim piece, and said yeah it started at the edge so we're going to cover it. I sat in the lounge took 15min tops. All good.

So its BS that its NEVER covered.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM
SDG
Yeah thnx for the responses. Insurance DOES NOT cover it..better check with yours, I have Allstate and they DO NOT in California but do in other states. OK I should clarify they cover it under your policy and the deductible applies it's not "free." Another joy of living in the "pay to play, tax and fee you to death" state. Dealership thus far will not cover it under warranty. Look likes I'm out $500 but I did get one piece of good news, the aftermarket tint is included in the coverage so it won't cost me extra to re-tint. It still burns me that I'm out $500 bucks for a defective window

Old 04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can you locate the start of all the cracking? Was it on the edge or middle? Maybe the tint guys F'ed it up.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
If the dealer won't replace it under warranty, tt should be covered under the comprehensive portion of your insurance policy, subject to your deductible. Some insurers will repair or replace your windshield for no deductible, but I don't know about the rear window.