G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Thinking of selling my S2000 for 06 G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget about the Vett. I took 6 months to decide what to buy. Vett , M3, SLK 55 AMG, 330ci, even thought about the C sedan AMG. I ordered the MT coupe G just the other day. Saved some money for TT, if wanted, and still dollars in the bank. I really wanted the Vett. Spent 6 months on a forum, came down to GM's bad decisions, plus the car has many problems with quality control. Sure gets up and goes though. I admit that most those cares were just out of my comfort zone dollar wise. If the Vette was Japense built I would of got it. M3 handles great and is real smooth through the gears . Not nuts about the body style though. The AMG's are awsome but again I'd be car poor. I had $ 50,000 to spend cash. Wanted no payments. Like I said buying the G.....with some $$$ in the bank!!

Old 04-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I agree with most pepz here S2000 is a great cars balance power and weight, but if you had out grew it then sell it and get the G.
I had 4 cars but unlike ur cars they are not nice at all,cuz they 2 are track cars 81 toyota starlet(trd wide body) with a S2000 05 motor 6spd and only weight at 938lbs(love this car), track Sc300 1JZtt motor , my daily driver 05 GCp 6mt and a 94 Supra (680whp) that i had to let go cuz i just out grew it.
Ok I lied I need the money so i had to let her go, but i missed that car

I say take your S for a hard drive then ask your self if you gona miss this feeling.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Richie Ric
I say take your S for a hard drive then ask your self if you gona miss this feeling.
+1

Had an AP2 (MY04) with <4K miles I sold around this time last year. It was the first convertible I had the pleasure of owning that put a grin on my face from ear to ear. No doubt I'd still own it had I remained in SoCal - the combination of open air and vtec stirred such an adrenaline rush.

That said, given the change in climate I'm having to endure, the G35C is the perfect complement to my A4 Avant.

Any particular reason you're considering the AT instead of the 6MT?

Don't get me wrong, folks seem to have very positive things to say about the sportiness of the AT in our cars, but I'll go out on a limb and say that just might make you miss the S2K more...

Old 04-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Lots of great input

I must say that you all have given me some things to think about. I am impressed by your ability to not be blinded by the love of your cars. I have 3 cars because I drive several thousand miles a month, as I am always in my car. My job has me all over the state I work in, and I am constantly on my phone.

First off, my wife has to drive something, so that is why I have 3 cars. I trade with her when I start getting to close to my mileage limit on the car I was driving (I lease the FX and TL, 15K per year). So I drive the TL for 2 months, then swap and drive the FX. So since I am swapping with her, I need 2 cars with 4 doors, as I have 2 kids now. I could not trade the Coupe for the TL, as it would not work for her.

I also looked at just buying a car and putting all the mileage on it, but then it would be just a work car, and since I am in it so much, I would not be able to enjoy it. I need to love the car I am in all day, or else my job would be that much worse (imagine a 3 hr commute in a car you hate). I even sometimes watch movies when stuck in traffic, as both my FX and TL have DVD players that can play on my Nav screen.

I love my S, but the only time I can drive it is on the weekends, and since I now have the kids (had none 3 years ago when I got the S), I would have to go for a drive alone as my wife would be at home with the kids. For those times when I want to go for a ride alone, I have a custom sport cruiser motorcycle (Yamaha RS Warrior) to carve up the road and have the wind in my hair.

I have spent a lot of money on my S, as I had a custom fabricated metal widebody fabricated, have 5Zigen 19" wheels (8.5F, 10R) with Potenza S-03 245/35-19F, and 285/30-19R, yes thats right, 285 in the rear. I aslo upgraded the suspension to a very stiff groud control coilover, (custom powdercoated the spring candy apple red), and removed the convertible top to make room for my sub box. Yes, I am crazy, but I have a hardtop for days when it might rain. Since it is a manual, I have a hard time using my phone/blackberry while shifting (not easy in traffic where you have to downshift to pass someone, while also switching between calls and reading an e-mail).

I thought about a 650i BMW, but for half the money I can get a car that is basically just as fast, plus I would look arrogant pulling up to my clients office in an $80K car. I also contemplated waiting to see if they build a coupe version of the IS350 (maybe the IS500?), but even if they do, we won't see it for 2-3 years, and I could be enjoying the G in the meantime.

I will say that with the wide tires and increased track, the handling is almost as good as an Elise (I have a co-worker that has one). I had plans of doing a turbo, but held off, as I have already put almost 20K into it. Parting with it will be very tough, and yes, I have thought about keeping it and getting the G as a 4th, but that would not sit well with the wife, who hates going out to dinner in the S, as it is to rough for a nice evening date. She also loves the G (she is huge Infiniti fan, had a G20 before I met her).

I have never really loved the front of the G, but love the side view and rear view enough to look past the rounded, somewhat girlish headlights (at least the top of the headlight comes to a point on the coupe). If the front was a little more agressive, like that of the IS350, or even the new Audi's, this would be the perfect car.

So to sum up my reason for needing a change, I want a car that I can really soup up, that I can also use to work out of, for when my mileage on my TL and FX is getting high, and I need to release some energy through my driving.

So I ordered my G thinking I had 3 months to decide, and would drive the S more during that time (can still back out, only have $500 down). But I got a call from the dealer today, and they re-routed one that was on order for another dealer, and it will arrive a month sooner, around the first of June.

Wife says I cannot get the G until the S is gone, cause once I have all 4, she knows I won't sell the S, as I have room in the garage for 4 cars, so I could justify it.

If it works, I am attaching some pictures of my S next to another one, as well as one that was taken prior to paint. I also threw in a photo of my custom built Warrior, so you can see how crazy I am with mods. I also need a new project, and the G will be a good one to work on.

Thanks again for your ideas and input. I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of selling my S2000 for 06 G35 coupe-100_0562-1.jpg   Thinking of selling my S2000 for 06 G35 coupe-100_0560-1.jpg   Thinking of selling my S2000 for 06 G35 coupe-dscn0375.jpg   Thinking of selling my S2000 for 06 G35 coupe-w-tank4.jpg  
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by ARTofDESIGN
Dude says he wants G for this, again based on what he said the switch is better.

this is the ONLY sound suggestion as an alterative to the s to g switch that i have seen posted. But again its his choice based on needs.

Those who say get it as fourth have no idea of his finances or abilities, as far as i know the majority of our country cant afford to be runnin 4 luxury/sports cars.
IF he wants a G then it's all up to him, he stated that he's considering getting a G since he can't use it for entertaining clients and not enough space when traveling Do you thing the G will give him a bigger trunk Also if he's swapping the G just so he can entertain clients then what the hell is he doing with the TL or FX45? those two cars are no way inferior than the G

IF he want a third car he better have a different kind so there will be balance, I don't know why you don't get that. If he's having a hard time getting the G then he doesn't want it that much and should stick to his S, either way he did say that he's still in love with it. We stated our opinion and you don't have to keep insisting that we change our mind because most of us still believe keeping the S is a more wise decision.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Sell all your cars keep the S2000, that thing is hot

Old 04-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by GolfHawk
I must say that you all have given me some things to think about. I am impressed by your ability to not be blinded by the love of your cars. I have 3 cars because I drive several thousand miles a month, as I am always in my car. My job has me all over the state I work in, and I am constantly on my phone.

First off, my wife has to drive something, so that is why I have 3 cars. I trade with her when I start getting to close to my mileage limit on the car I was driving (I lease the FX and TL, 15K per year). So I drive the TL for 2 months, then swap and drive the FX. So since I am swapping with her, I need 2 cars with 4 doors, as I have 2 kids now. I could not trade the Coupe for the TL, as it would not work for her.

I also looked at just buying a car and putting all the mileage on it, but then it would be just a work car, and since I am in it so much, I would not be able to enjoy it. I need to love the car I am in all day, or else my job would be that much worse (imagine a 3 hr commute in a car you hate). I even sometimes watch movies when stuck in traffic, as both my FX and TL have DVD players that can play on my Nav screen.

I love my S, but the only time I can drive it is on the weekends, and since I now have the kids (had none 3 years ago when I got the S), I would have to go for a drive alone as my wife would be at home with the kids. For those times when I want to go for a ride alone, I have a custom sport cruiser motorcycle (Yamaha RS Warrior) to carve up the road and have the wind in my hair.

I have spent a lot of money on my S, as I had a custom fabricated metal widebody fabricated, have 5Zigen 19" wheels (8.5F, 10R) with Potenza S-03 245/35-19F, and 285/30-19R, yes thats right, 285 in the rear. I aslo upgraded the suspension to a very stiff groud control coilover, (custom powdercoated the spring candy apple red), and removed the convertible top to make room for my sub box. Yes, I am crazy, but I have a hardtop for days when it might rain. Since it is a manual, I have a hard time using my phone/blackberry while shifting (not easy in traffic where you have to downshift to pass someone, while also switching between calls and reading an e-mail).

I thought about a 650i BMW, but for half the money I can get a car that is basically just as fast, plus I would look arrogant pulling up to my clients office in an $80K car. I also contemplated waiting to see if they build a coupe version of the IS350 (maybe the IS500?), but even if they do, we won't see it for 2-3 years, and I could be enjoying the G in the meantime.

I will say that with the wide tires and increased track, the handling is almost as good as an Elise (I have a co-worker that has one). I had plans of doing a turbo, but held off, as I have already put almost 20K into it. Parting with it will be very tough, and yes, I have thought about keeping it and getting the G as a 4th, but that would not sit well with the wife, who hates going out to dinner in the S, as it is to rough for a nice evening date. She also loves the G (she is huge Infiniti fan, had a G20 before I met her).

I have never really loved the front of the G, but love the side view and rear view enough to look past the rounded, somewhat girlish headlights (at least the top of the headlight comes to a point on the coupe). If the front was a little more agressive, like that of the IS350, or even the new Audi's, this would be the perfect car.

So to sum up my reason for needing a change, I want a car that I can really soup up, that I can also use to work out of, for when my mileage on my TL and FX is getting high, and I need to release some energy through my driving.

So I ordered my G thinking I had 3 months to decide, and would drive the S more during that time (can still back out, only have $500 down). But I got a call from the dealer today, and they re-routed one that was on order for another dealer, and it will arrive a month sooner, around the first of June.

Wife says I cannot get the G until the S is gone, cause once I have all 4, she knows I won't sell the S, as I have room in the garage for 4 cars, so I could justify it.

If it works, I am attaching some pictures of my S next to another one, as well as one that was taken prior to paint. I also threw in a photo of my custom built Warrior, so you can see how crazy I am with mods. I also need a new project, and the G will be a good one to work on.

Thanks again for your ideas and input. I look forward to being a part of this forum.
Ok, now we have a better idea of your situation, If you know ahead of time when you're having client then bring the TL or FX, on the day that you're not having clients then bring the S as often as you can. Since you're still in love and invested money on S it will be wise to keep it if possible. Or just swap it with the G but it look like that you're are not totally a big fan of the look so you might regret it down the road.

If you want a mod friendly then you already have a good candidate with the S, believe me it will take you more money to have a G go down the 12's and trust me on this VQ is not as friendly as other engine regarding boost.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
If you are just driving 3k miles a year on your S2000, then you should just trade it in. The low mileage is a sure sign that the S2000 is not a car for your driving style. Why keep a car you don't use much? To keep other people happy?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I had a black s2k for 6 months. Love the care during good weather. There is nothing better than driving with the top down and the sound of that beautiful V-tech engine howling @ high rpms, but I hated being in that car when it was raining and the top up. That V-tech sound just starts to grate on you during long enclosed drives. I guess getting older you want a little comfort yet be able to blow the doors off some punk with a coffee can as an exhaust from time to time.

I bought the G for the look, power, and "extra seats & space" I can fit my clubs and a couple of suitcases if I go out of town.

Both cars are definite lookers but I noticed one thing. The G tends to project quality of life and zest for it. If you are young the s2k says that, if you are older it says "trying hard" IMHO.

Get the G and be happy.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Its hard comparing the G35 to a S2k because they are different classes of cars. Compared to other sport cars with a back seat the g35 is one of the best in pure performance/looks and value.

IMO if you really need the room you won't be disappointed. I certainly couldn't give up my back seat at this point in my life. I also highly recommend the nav system if you haven't already ordered it.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by spdzone
Enough said!
(In response to get the Lotus Elise)

+1 x 100000 if you can!

Drop the cash on the Lotus Elise it is so bad ***.
Or, get a Nissan Z car. If it's just a weekend car, you can keep the 2 seat config.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I was in a similar situation GolfHawk. We purchased our S in 2001, and just had a ball with it. Took it to Heartland Park Topeka to get a feel for it's abilities, and got bit by the autocross bug. Forward several years later, had a child, and we weren't driving it much. It sat in the garage for weeks at a time and we couldn't go anywhere in it as a family, so we decided to sell it. I had mixed feelings just like you, as it was an absolute blast to drive. Calling it a go-kart on steriods is not very far from the truth! The need for a backseat for the baby seat finally won out.

The G is a great car, and much more comfortable for those long drives. It's also a classier car, if that matters to you at all. I won't deny that I do miss the S from time to time...you just can't throw the G into a corner the same way you could the S....it's just to heavy. The G is a good compromise between cruiser and sports car.

Hope that helps

Old 04-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
like what MWhy said, the G35 coupe is an undermining statement of luxury and sport at an affordable price and a great warranty.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by da mayor
a great warranty.

haha, only at your dealership my dealer voided my warranty because I switched to Clear Corners Now I have a clicking noise on my rear axle and i am afraid that they'll blame it on my H-tech springs

Old 04-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by GolfHawk
2-has more trunk/storage space for my work stuff and golf clubs
i think i'm going to have to disagree with you right there, unless that is of course we are including the backseats as space. last year for memorial day weekend me (g35) and my friend (s2000) were packing, and he was able to slightly fit more than me in his trunk.. which was a big surprise to me. the trunk space on the g35 is slightly smaller than an s2000 (at least from my experiences it was)

but, i'd still choose the g over the s2000

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my S2000 for 06 G35 coupe