G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2005 6mt/Transmission Chatter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6mt/Transmission Chatter?

3 months ago my wife noticed a rattling noise on the G. I had her take it into the dealer the same day. I did not have a chance to hear the sound. The dealer was also checking the brakes, alignment, and changing the oil. The dealership had the car for 2 days trying to diagnose what was causing the brakes to squeak. My wife picked up the car, but they did not have an explanation as to what caused the rattling sound and did not document it on the work order. The rattling sound was the only think that had been fixed. The alignment was still off and the brakes still squeak. I assumed that it must have been something minor.

We took a trip to the coast this weekend. On our way to the coast a chattering sound started to periodically appear when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It is the exact sound that my wife had heard 3 months ago. The sound would quickly go away once the car was warmed up. The sound has gotten much worse since Friday night. It is now appearing in 1st through 4th gears when the rpms are 3k or less and it does not go away once the car is warmed up. I believe that it might be coming from the transmission. The car just went over 14k miles and is not driven hard. I will be taking the car into our dealer on Wednesday. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem. But it is all the time whenever i do not have the clutch engaged. And from a stop when revving near 1k rpms to get the car going, it has MAD chatter. And i have been driving stick cars for 5 years, and i am one of the most experienced among my friends, so i dont think that i am the problem. Infiniti should recall the 6MT transmission because it is giving EVERYONE problems.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:21 AM
same here....lots of chatter....

Old 04-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a known chatter, do a search, youll find out that alot of people have it.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea the chatter is very common w/ our cars. just something annoying. yours however sounds like something different??

Old 04-10-2006, 01:26 AM
it's time we all admit that g35 are junk compared to honda and toyota's. I've had both cars and they were dead silent. when I got the G, a whole new world of noise I never knew existed was opened up to me. And just because the G is a entry sports car, i don't buy the argument that noise comes with sports like performance.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no need to bash on the car...
you gotta keep in mind the car is a perfect combination of power and luxury. not everyone has problems, some people are VERY happy. ive had my share of problems from trannys and a few rattles/squeaks, but i love it to death.
compared to a honda/toyota its a whole different ball game. our cars have power and luxury and style. i have yet to see that toyota or honda to come up. (not including the supra) the car has power and torque class luxury and pretty good handling as well..even with 2 trannies replaced, i still love my baby

Old 04-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fireblade
it's time we all admit that g35 are junk compared to honda and toyota's. I've had both cars and they were dead silent. when I got the G, a whole new world of noise I never knew existed was opened up to me. And just because the G is a entry sports car, i don't buy the argument that noise comes with sports like performance.
I hate when people make these comments. Sometimes, just keeping your comments to yourself and not make others mad can be a blessing. Anyways, how many G's do you think have this chatter? I don't see thousands of posts on these. Maybe a 50? 100? or even 200? At that, that is not even 1 percent of all the G35 coupes sold in a year. I for one don't have any chatter. Maybe I haven't noticed it but I occasionally drive with my window all the way down and still can't hear it. As for rattles, I don't have any either. However, I do have the chair making that horrible creeking sound. I will take it to the dealer and have them fix that. Do I consider the G junk? Hell no. My newphew just got a new accord and guess what? Rattles. My brother has an new Avalon. Guess what? Rattles. So, my point is, all cars have some sort of problems. I for one would take rattles over mechanical and especially electrical problems. Noises are just noises. Hell, most of the time I can't hear much because I'm listening to the exhaust note

Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
I hate when people make these comments. Sometimes, just keeping your comments to yourself and not make others mad can be a blessing. Anyways, how many G's do you think have this chatter? I don't see thousands of posts on these. Maybe a 50? 100? or even 200? At that, that is not even 1 percent of all the G35 coupes sold in a year. I for one don't have any chatter. Maybe I haven't noticed it but I occasionally drive with my window all the way down and still can't hear it. As for rattles, I don't have any either. However, I do have the chair making that horrible creeking sound. I will take it to the dealer and have them fix that. Do I consider the G junk? Hell no. My newphew just got a new accord and guess what? Rattles. My brother has an new Avalon. Guess what? Rattles. So, my point is, all cars have some sort of problems. I for one would take rattles over mechanical and especially electrical problems. Noises are just noises. Hell, most of the time I can't hear much because I'm listening to the exhaust note
Well said, bro........couldn't have said it any better myself

Old 04-10-2006, 03:06 AM
the sound while the clutch is not engaged (when i say this i mean when you're foot is off the clutch) is the throw out bearing (IMO)

Old 04-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by driftGT350
the sound while the clutch is not engaged (when i say this i mean when you're foot is off the clutch) is the throw out bearing (IMO)
The sound occurs even when the clutch is engaged. It is just a little louder when it is not engaged and during acceleration.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:20 AM
this is normal... and if its not... drive it til it breaks... warranty is 60k

Old 04-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I get the sound to. When the car is at idle it sounds like something is loose. Sometimes i get the chatter...The clutch also grabs way to high. ALL in all I HATE the G35 clutch set-up & feel Infiniti should have a recall and address this issue. It is the worse clutch vehical i ever drove . Give me a brake it is a 35-40K car " no excuses". We should all band together and Complaine to infiniti.

However I still love the overall car.

When the OEM clutch goes I am going aftermarket.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:32 AM
The G turned out to be low on oil. It was 1.5 quarts low. It has only been 4100 miles since the last oil change. This car burns oil like crazy.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ISinCH
The G turned out to be low on oil. It was 1.5 quarts low. It has only been 4100 miles since the last oil change. This car burns oil like crazy.
Hmmm, G burning oil??? ONLY 4100 miles since last oil change??? Bro, G should not burn oil, and you should start changing your oil a little more often.
The chatter is there, see if it goes away once you press the clutch to the floor. If it goes away and you can't hear it, and the car drives fine, than your car is fine. You can mention it to the dealer, but don't lose sleep over it.