G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New coupe...Is Nav worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I'm amazed at how many people think Nav is worth the money. I didn't get it, and I don't regret my decision. I guess it depends on where you live. Maybe if I had to drive in a large city every day I'd have a different opinion. As it stands now, I get by just fine with Mapquest and good old fashioned maps.
I'm not trying to say your opinion doesn't count or anything... but it helps to have experienced both sides of the argument(Owning a car with Nav and Car Without it) to really get a feel for the usefullness or wastefullness of the Nav system.

Before I had ever owned a car with Nav, I thought it was a stupid little toyish add-on... and I really only got it on my car because the dealership cut me a deal to buy my car off the lot with the Nav in it. Now, I will be the first to admit that I don't really need the Nav in my car since I live in the same town that I grew up in and have lived here for 27 years and know the area as well as anyone. But, once you have a nav system in your car.. you realize how useful it is(I'm talking about any Nav system, not necessarily the Infiniti Nav System vs an aftermarket brand) for when you travel outside of areas you are familiar with. It also helps you to see if there are crazy bends in a road ahead of you that you might not expect(not that I would rely on this).

On top of all this, the Nav system makes owning the car a whole lot more fun. It's easily the most eye-catching feature in the car. Anyone who rides in it is mesmerized by it and loves to toy around with it's features. Having the Nav in it really does make the car a whole other level of fun.

My other 2 cars do not have a Nav system, and when I drive them.. I feel like I'm missing a huge element to the driving experience and get bored quicker.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:50 AM
An Army of One...
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, I get lots of looks when the NAVI pops up and down.
Features that I regularly use:

1. Fuel Consumption (History MPG and actual MPG display)
2. Miles to empty
3. Trip timer
4. Avg Speed
5. Whenever I am going somewhere Ive never been, I use it to find places Ive never been. Type in phone number or adress and it plots a course to the adress!
6. I used the actual MPG to determine the most efficient speed to travel at on the highway on trips to maximize my fuel!
7. Added PS2 and backup camera.... very nice!

Old 04-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have it and love it for the reasons above bnut entering in destinations is a pain in the butt.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moving to Dallas, unfamiliar with the area (and how easy it is to get off the highway in the warehouse district and never find a way back on ), I'd say go with the Nav., if you have the money to get it.

Personally, I live in a West Texas town of about 100,000 people and have yet to take the G out of town, so it would have been only for the bling factor and resale value. But to get it you had to get the Prem. Pkg. w/ sunroof. All said and done, that was about $4k worth of a lot of options and additional weight, less headroom and a sunroof I didn't want. I'm happy I ordered and waited for hardtop 6MT and used the money on mods.

If I lived in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio or Houston, I would have sucked it up and paid for all that added stuff just to get the Nav. If it's only a $2k difference to you, do it without hesitation!