G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What's wrong with the Bose system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2006 | 06:15 PM
it obviously is not the best system in the world. but what i have heard is recently bose is just putting their name on the units and just letting some other crap companies compose the whole system. could be wrong tho

Old 04-14-2006 | 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
I can only speak of the G35 coup I test drove last week. The sound was horrible. I sounds like listening to music on a $5 alarm clock raido and I'm not exagerating at all.

How can anyone take you seriously when you make a dumbass statement like that.
First off, that statement is not "dumbass", that's pretty rude for calling his opinion that.

Secondly, it really does sound like an alarm clock radio to me as well, all you people that say the bose is a great sounding system, well you can be right and wrong.
It can sound good to you, but it doesn't mean that it actual is good sound. For music clarity, you need a reproduction of many wide ranges of sound frequencies, thus having a subwoofer, optional mid range, and tweeter are ideal.

You may say, but the bose system has all that! Well, it seems to me that it has "subwoofers" in the form of 6x9s in the rear, and tweeters in the front, and mid range for the rest, however the problem is, that it seems to only reproduce mids. Which is awful for listening to anything besides classical/orchestrated music and talk radio.

To all you that believe the bose system is good, I challenge you to clean out your ears alot and then try and actually listen to differences in audio products, go check out Boston Acoustics, Infinity, MB Quart, Phoenix Gold, & Polk to name a few excellent brands.

Old 04-14-2006 | 11:58 PM
Suggested upgrades?

I own an '06 Coupe and have the Bose premium audio - which i think is rated at 300 watts...I am satisfied with the sound thus far but would have to agree that there is not enough bass. The highs and the lows deem to cut off to early.

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this? Would a subwoofer work? If so, which do you reccomend and how does it impact trunk space?

Thanks

Old 04-15-2006 | 12:12 AM
i would probably say an amp

Old 04-15-2006 | 02:45 AM
I don't have any problems w/ mine.....probably because I don't drive around like a teenage homo blasting the stereo at full volume going 'look at me! look at how hard i am!!! i play my music loud!!!! hahaha, **** you all!!!!'

Old 04-15-2006 | 03:01 AM
man the bmw hk system is soooo sweet. my sister has a 330ci and it sounds awsome!

Old 04-15-2006 | 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by pop099
First off, that statement is not "dumbass", that's pretty rude for calling his opinion that.

Secondly, it really does sound like an alarm clock radio to me as well, all you people that say the bose is a great sounding system, well you can be right and wrong.
It can sound good to you, but it doesn't mean that it actual is good sound. For music clarity, you need a reproduction of many wide ranges of sound frequencies, thus having a subwoofer, optional mid range, and tweeter are ideal.

You may say, but the bose system has all that! Well, it seems to me that it has "subwoofers" in the form of 6x9s in the rear, and tweeters in the front, and mid range for the rest, however the problem is, that it seems to only reproduce mids. Which is awful for listening to anything besides classical/orchestrated music and talk radio.

To all you that believe the bose system is good, I challenge you to clean out your ears alot and then try and actually listen to differences in audio products, go check out Boston Acoustics, Infinity, MB Quart, Phoenix Gold, & Polk to name a few excellent brands.
LOL So both of you jokers are comparing the Bose system in a G35 to that of an alarm clock radio, and then you have the ***** to say that those of us who defend the Bose should get our ears cleaned out. The only reason I called out the poster is because he added the phrase "and I'm not exaggerating at all." Again, I don't get into a car for the purpose of listening to music. It's all about the pleasure of driving fast that appeals to me.

Old 04-15-2006 | 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
... I don't get into a car for the purpose of listening to music. It's all about the pleasure of driving fast that appeals to me.
Some of us old farts (I'm 38) actually like to listen to our tunes during our commute. I can't seem to enjoy Led Zeppelin with the Bose in our coupe.

Old 04-15-2006 | 07:36 PM
New guy here. Just got new g35. Bose sounds ok, but is deff. lacking base. I had pos grand prix with bose system and the base was awesome. Thought it was just me. Looking into a small powered subwoofer system. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2006 | 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
I don't have any problems w/ mine.....probably because I don't drive around like a teenage homo blasting the stereo at full volume going 'look at me! look at how hard i am!!! i play my music loud!!!! hahaha, **** you all!!!!'
I think the emphasis is on sound quality, not just loudness...I'm not trying to impress somebody outside my car with my music - I just want it to sound good - does that make me a 'teenage homo'

Old 04-15-2006 | 09:14 PM
More than a few people have found that replacing the front door midrange speakers and mirror-mounted tweeters with Infiniti Kappa 60.7cs component speakers makes a big improvement in the quality of the sound. Some also replace the rear side panel speakers with Kappa 62.7i two-ways, but the biggest and most noticeable improvement comes from changing out the fronts, something I'm planning to do myself in the next month or two. Neither of these changes will give you any more bass, so if that's what you're looking for you're also going to want to change the factory amp and install a real subwoofer to replace the 6x9s on the rear shelf. The stock Bose head unit (manufactured by Clarion, by the way) isn't bad, but you can do a lot better with an aftermarket head unit.

For what it's worth, I put a set of six Infiniti Kappas in my 92 Eclipse GSX with a stock AM/FM/cassette w/7-band equalizer and the improvement in clarity and fidelity was nothing short of amazing. YMMV.

Old 04-15-2006 | 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by pop099

i don't think that's what ppl are disagreeing with you on. i am also one of the ppl that likes the G's bose system - but that's bc i'm comparing it to other STOCK systems. i've had a few cars with over $5000+ in stereo upgrades (hardware only) - yeah, it kicked a$$ and sounded great, but i'm not comparing that to the G's bose... i'm comparing it to other stock systems. what's also interesting is that some ppl say they love BMW's HK systems - i personally didn't like it.

i guess the bottom line is everyone has their own taste in sound quality - some prefer loud bass, some prefer loud highs, some prefer great imaging, etc... ppl are just sharing their own opinions on this thread, and personally i'm enjoying reading everyone's preferences...

Old 04-15-2006 | 10:05 PM
i don't think that's what ppl are disagreeing with you on. i am also one of the ppl that likes the G's bose system - but that's bc i'm comparing it to other STOCK systems. i've had a few cars with over $5000+ in stereo upgrades (hardware only) - yeah, it kicked a$$ and sounded great, but i'm not comparing that to the G's bose... i'm comparing it to other stock systems. what's also interesting is that some ppl say they love BMW's HK systems - i personally didn't like it.

You and I are on the same page. Also, don't lose sight of the fact that the HK on a BMW is their "stereo upgrade" option and not base system.

Old 04-16-2006 | 12:38 AM
SDG
People ask me about my 'system' cuz they think it's aftermarket so I call bullsh!t on the, "worst sounding I've ever heard" comments. I have the bose and I had my bass/treb cranked max. The highs were distinct and clear and the bass is great up to a certain point where it starts to fade a bit, distortion. Then I added 4080 box/amp/sub combo for more bass. Once I could turn the bass down on the fronts the mids and highs got a little better. I'm not 16 anymore but I still enjoy a quality stereo in my ride and the system (with some added bass) is good enough for me to not spend thousands to replace it.

BTW Bose bashers, isn't the bose upgrade amplification only? The HU is Clarion I think? So don't blame bose for the whole system, they only have a part of it.

Old 04-16-2006 | 02:14 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
[QUOTE=Grok42]I'm always amazed how many people can't hear a bad audio system. I think it's mainly because they've never heard a good one. I highly recomment that you DON'T listen to a good system because it might start you down the path to spending too much money on expensive gear.[QUOTE=Grok42]

I'm amazed you can say this and then say that our system sounds like a $5 alarm radio. I think we all have $5 alarm radios that wakes us up in the morning. I know mine doesn't sound like my Bose. If you are going to compare please just be more realistic.

[QUOTE=Grok42]Then there are the completely tone deaf. My wife can't tell the difference between her $20 computer speakers and our nice home system other than one is louder. She just says the $20 speaker are loud enough for MP3s on the computer. I get blank stares when I point out that there is no bass in the music at all on those speakers.[QUOTE=Grok42]

Don't blame your wife that she can't tell the difference. You're the one that can't tell the difference when you compared the system to your alarm clock.

[QUOTE=Grok42]I can only speak of the G35 coup I test drove last week. The sound was horrible. I sounds like listening to music on a $5 alarm clock raido and I'm not exagerating at all. I would think that the G35 has the worst radio on any car above $10K on the market today. Then again, maybe the tester I drove had an issue.[QUOTE=Grok42]

For crying out loud. It's a stock stereo! No bass add bass! No highs add highs...Not everyone has the same taste in music. You need customize it to your type of music. People who listen to classical is not going to put 2 tens subs in the car...If you're going to compare then compare it to other cars not to a $5 radio. Because honestly my alarm clocks sucks and i can tell the difference between that and my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose system?