G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Window Tint Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Window Tint Help!

I just bought an 03 G35 6MT coupe and this is my very first car i've owned!! Im really excited about it, its laser red on the outside and black on the inside, it has all the goodies (nav, prem sound, xenon, brembo...) I wanted to get the windows tinted but honest to go i dont know JACK SH*T about window tinting.. if anyone could help me out and just point me in the right direction as to what kind of film to use what brand, what % to use and all that stuff I'd REALLY appreciate it, i'm not gonna do it myself i'm going to go get it done probly at a shop or have someone come out and do it, so if anyone knows any good places in the SoCal area (chula vista, san diego) it'd mean a lot~ I appreciate it and hope to hear from u pros soon!

Old 04-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to a tint shop they will help you. it should cost around 150 -200,

Old 04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
THE BATMOBILE
congrats and welcome..........depends on what kind of look you are going for..........i say go limo tint.........tops it should be 170

Old 04-26-2006, 05:12 PM
thanks you guys, yea im pretty excited about it. i called a window tinting place and they told me it would be 170 dlls. So that sounds about right, alsow what is the limo tint? is it just like straight up black where u cant see in at all? does that affect the driving at night because i would like to see outside when i'm driving at night! . Oh and nother thing, what film is best?? the 170dll place is using titanium film..

Old 04-26-2006, 05:14 PM
oh and what percentage is the most i can legally have on the front driver and passenger windows?

Old 04-26-2006, 05:30 PM
the legal percentage on the front windows is soooo light. As for me, i went darkest all the way around. I'll take risk and when i see cops i'll just roll the windows down. They really have better thinngs to do unless they're having a bad day and feel like being dicks.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:38 PM
whats best? titanium tint, johnson window films, 3M, ceramic, formula 1 pinnacle?

does anyone have pictures of these?

Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM
SDG
I bet the 170 quote you got was for the back three windows, not including the fronts. In California you cannot have ANY tint on the driver and passenger front windows. I think most of us blow that BS off and tint anyway. The local reputable tint shop was asking 300 for 5 windows, I found a mobile guy that does great work and he did it for 200, with a good tint. Beware of the cheap tint prices, the deal they quote is always for the lowest end tint.

I got non-metallic tint (recommended so not to interfere with your nav) 20% sides and back. I was worried it would be too dark, but now I wish I had gone darker. A lot of people say go darker than you think you want, and in my case they were right.

This is your first vehicle ever??? Good choice

PM me if you want the number for the guy I used, hes busy but can usually get you in within a week or two. Hes mobile around San Diego.

Last edited by SDG; 04-26-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Geez where the heck are u guys getting your tint done for anything more than $200? Talk about ripping a new one...I've taken my cars as well as friends' to a place out in SoCal that has always charged me $110 for 5 windows, titanium and limo tint.

Tinting the fronts are "illegal" and rolling them down when you see a popo isn't the brightest idea because if the cop has some common sense, they'll know that if the back 3 are heavily tinted, 99.99% sure the fronts are too. If anything...it's just a betting game between the two partners. haha

Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 PM
This will be a newbie question, but if you tint your windows, is it harder to see out of the windows at night?

Old 04-26-2006, 07:21 PM
really dark tints make it harder to see at night. It kinda bugged in my last car so i went with a lighter titanium tint this time around. Think it would better complement certain colors than super dark regular tint.

I went with 35% all around, cuz i didn't want it to be too dark or make it seem more stealthy to the cops since i have the fronts tinted. I figure if you go light enough all around, it would seem less obvious you have the fronts tinted. Yeah, yeah, my flawed logic.

In any case, you can get almost any kind of tint, except some high end ceramic tints done for $200 or less. From quality products at quality shops no problem. Shop around and get some referals. I want it done at a shop that has staying power... what is lifetime warranty good for if the shop goes out of business?

As far as my 35% all around titanium tint... i wish i went darker in the back. But it is acceptable. i did my sisters car in a 15% back and 35% front in titanium (she has black on black) and it looks much better. But in the end, it is all personal preference. Watch out for the B&W's, they don't have to be in a dick mood to pull you over just for front tint and no front license plates. They're cracking down in the L.A. area. Just means more revenue for the strapped city budget.

BTW, the tint shop said it might effect my AM reception a bit, the FM shouldn't be affected much, and my Navi hasn't had any problems, nor my satellite radio. There should be plenty pics in the forums. Just browse the gallery or search the threads... tints been discussed numerous times.

Last edited by WYSIWYG; 04-26-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I've been told the law in California is no tint allowed on front 3 windows. and limo on the back.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:19 AM
f*** the po-lice - - f*** the po-lice - - f*** em!

Old 04-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Mine has a Navi 2, so whatever you do make sure you dont get any tinting w/ the metallic film: it'll f'k w/ d GPS in ur Navi.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:55 AM
And the common misconception in NY is that any side window behind the driver's seat can be as dark as you want. Not true. The rear side windows are viewed legally-speaking the same as the front side windows. ALL side windows can only block up to 30% of the light/must allow 70% to get through. Only the back can be dark, and only if you have two operable side-view windows.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Help!