G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Back-to-back test drives: G35 vs. M45

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back-to-back test drives: G35 vs. M45

I stopped by the Infiniti dealership this past weekend and test drove a 2003 G35 6-speed. Then I took out a new M45.

The M45 definitely had more power. When you stepped on the gas it moved. I was disappointed in the G35. I guess I was expecting a little too much more grunt than the V6 could deliver. But to be fair, I didn't wind either car out since they weren't broken in. So I'll give the G35 the benefit of the doubt that it'll pull harder at higher RPM.

Interior-wise, the G35 was just as roomy and comfortable as the M45. Plus the G35 had rear reclining seats and the M45 did not. Also, the G35 had a little "hole" that went into the trunk that the M45 didn't. Another "plus" for the G35 was the CD changer was in the dash, and the M45 it was in the glove compartment.

The M45's steering felt stiff.

The G35 gets 27mpg n the highway verses 23 for the M45.

Bascially, the G35 offers everything the M45 does in a smaller exterior package, but with less torque.

Also it seems that the G35 is better supported by the aftermarket.

Other than the torque, the only advantage I can see that the M45 has over the G35 is status and class.

So it looks like if I get my way, the next family car will be the G35 sedan.

Now how's the Greddy turbo kit coming along?

Dave

Old 09-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Back-to-back test drives: G35 vs. M45

Well sure the M45 has more power, 80 to be exact. But it's also a heavier car so It kinda evens out. I drove one before buying my G also. It was a nice car but out of my price range. I liked everything about it except the exterior styling.

From a stop the 6mt is impressive. But if you stomp the gas anywhere under 4000 rpm it will seem somewhat unimpressive. I have expirienced that with many MTX cars. With an automatic, if you stomp the gas, the tranny is going to pick the correct gear and go. The Torque converter is going to slip a bit that will let the engine rev faster into it's power and torque range. The MTX on the other hand depends solely on you choosing the correct gear to get the RPM into the power and torque range. Most likely you were low into the rpm's when you stomped the throttle.

I think the G35 has more rear set room than the M45. I could barely sit in the back seat behind the driver. In my G35 I can. I also like the reclining seats of G35.

Gas mileage will be dependant on how you use your right foot. Gas mileage was never really a consideration with me in choosing a new car.

In the handling depatment, the G35 has got the M45 beat hands down. If you decide to buy a G35 I think you will be happy.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 09-22-2003, 05:43 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I liked everything about it except the exterior styling.

<hr></blockquote>

That's one of the things I liked most about it.

From a stop the 6mt is impressive. But if you stomp the gas anywhere under 4000 rpm it will seem somewhat unimpressive. I have expirienced that with many MTX cars. With an automatic, if you stomp the gas, the tranny is going to pick the correct gear and go. The Torque converter is going to slip a bit that will let the engine rev faster into it's power and torque range. The MTX on the other hand depends solely on you choosing the correct gear to get the RPM into the power and torque range. Most likely you were low into the rpm's when you stomped the throttle.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm probably a little spoiled because one of my cars is a '88 5.0 Mustang with the manual transmission. Stepping on the gas in it is a real kick in the pants in practically every gear from 1500rpm and up. Comparing a manual to an auto is a little "unfair", so in a manual-to-manual comparison, the G35 felt pretty weak to what I'm used to driving. But like I said, to be fair, I didn't bring the G35 up to high in RPM, maybe 4.5K max.

I guess I'm just a torque junkie.

Gas mileage will be dependant on how you use your right foot. Gas mileage was never really a consideration with me in choosing a new car.

<hr></blockquote>

When I take a car on the highway I typically use the cruise control. So how I use my foot is kind of irrelevant. The sticker on the G35 said 27, which the M45 said 23. That matters to me since this will be the car that my family will use when we go on trips.

In the handling depatment, the G35 has got the M45 beat hands down. If you decide to buy a G35 I think you will be happy.

<hr></blockquote>

Handing isn't that important to me since I don't think I'll be using this car to speed through winding roads or pushing it to it's limits in a corner. But you're right, I'm confident that I'll be quite happy with a G35 Sedan.

Dave

Old 09-22-2003, 05:58 PM

An 88 5.0 Mustang would get smoked by a G. Drive a car that has been broken in. Unless you had aftermarket I do not know where you are coming from.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:35 AM

Smoked?? I ran a 14.4 in my '88 Mustang bone stock - and that was lifting my foot prior to the end of the quarter-mile to avoid a breakout. I then ran a 14.3 with a little tuning. You may or may not be able to duplicate that in a G35 Sedan. Either way, it'll be a close race, but it certainly won't be a smoking.

I've got a couple of mods now, so my latest trip to the track resulted in a 13.3.

Now if you're talking about a '88 5.0 Mustang that's a convertible with an AOD, then I agree, it probably would get smoked by a G35 Sedan.

Dave

Old 09-23-2003, 07:53 AM

You don't seem to think much of G35's so why are you buying one?

Ford still makes Mustangs and for about the same price you could get a Mustang Cobra which I am sure would give you the kick in the pants everytime you hit the gas.

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 09-23-2003, 11:01 AM

You don't seem to think much of G35's so why are you buying one?

<hr></blockquote>

Why would you say that? I really like the G35 Sedan. That's why I'm looking in to buying one.

Ford still makes Mustangs and for about the same price you could get a Mustang Cobra which I am sure would give you the kick in the pants everytime you hit the gas.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm looking for a family car. Besides, I already have a Mustang and a '87 Buick GN. Although it would be nice to have a family car that performed like the two cars I already own, that's not my priority.

Thanks.

Dave

Old 09-23-2003, 12:32 PM

So the mustangs must have gotten slower as the new one wont run 14.4??? I beat an 04 GT a few months ago - and posted results enthusiastically too! Ok he beat me after 120

Old 09-23-2003, 12:53 PM

The '88 mustang Gt is a totally different animal. Most of it's torque is made down low in the rpm range. the problem I see is that they run out of breath before 4500 rpm. The G make's it's torque peak at 4800 rpm. So you do have to play the waiting game.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 09-23-2003, 01:07 PM

So the mustangs must have gotten slower as the new one wont run 14.4??? I beat an 04 GT a few months ago - and posted results enthusiastically too! Ok he beat me after 120

<hr></blockquote>

Actually, the '99+ Mustang GTs are high-13-second capable cars. But you'll typically see low 14s out of them at the drag strip at around 100 mph. If I had a '99+ GT with a manual that couldn't break 14.4 I'd make them take it back under the lemon law.

There's usually a couple of Mustang vs. Turbo Regal events at Silver Dollar Raceway each year. This year the Mustang Club of Atlanta is having their annual get-together at Reynolds on October 5. And as usual, they've invited the Turbo Buick Club of Atlanta. When I went last year in my GN I was neck-and-neck with the '99+ GTs at stock boost levels. They'd get better 60' and trap speeds than I did, but I beat them to the end by hundreths of a second thanks to my strong mid-range charge. I ran a best of 13.8 in the GN.

Reynolds will also be having their annual BOP (Buick, Olds and Pontiac) event in November. The Mustang Club of Atlanta is always invited to this as well. Last year I took my '88 5.0 and ran a 13.3.

It'd be cool to see some G35s there this year.

The '88 mustang Gt is a totally different animal. Most of it's torque is made down low in the rpm range. the problem I see is that they run out of breath before 4500 rpm. The G make's it's torque peak at 4800 rpm. So you do have to play the waiting game.

<hr></blockquote>

The fuel-injected 302 Ford makes 300 foot-pounds of torque at 3200 rpm and 225 horsepower at 4500 rpm. It'll still pull pretty good to it's 6000rpm redline in 4th gear.

Like I said before, I didn't take the G35 up too high since it wasn't broken in. I'd like to be able to drive on hard, but I doubt the salesman would take too kindly to that.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:26 PM

I was encouraged to step on it by the salesman... and I complied

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 09-23-2003, 07:23 PM

the mustang and the G is a driver's race.

BTW, I ran a 14.4 STOCK in my G sedan 6MT which was at 1700 ft altitude

Better Life thru Chemistry

Old 09-24-2003, 09:49 AM

Good job!

Dave